Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I figured out finally where my oil leak is. Last time they said it was the oil filter cap. Reading another post here about a rear main leak, mine is leaking from about the same spot. My clutch has also started to "chatter" or vibrate really badly when I first start the car and the first few engagements. My question is this..... It's certified, so they will cover the repairs to the rear main....should they also cover the clutch? If not, should I have the clutch done right away if they're willing to do it for parts?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think I figured out finally where my oil leak is. Last time they said it was the oil filter cap. Reading another post here about a rear main leak, mine is leaking from about the same spot. My clutch has also started to "chatter" or vibrate really badly when I first start the car and the first few engagements. My question is this..... It's certified, so they will cover the repairs to the rear main....should they also cover the clutch? If not, should I have the clutch done right away if they're willing to do it for parts?
Hello,

I am happy to learn that you were able to figure out where the oil leak is. I cannot guarantee any coverage or cost assistance but I would like to look into this for you. Would you private message me with the details of your concern.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
728 Posts
Can't tell what you are driving, what r u piloting? Sol or Sky? year? type?
A clutch in general is not covered after initial warranty I believe. I think they are treated like brakes, you pay for its replacement cause they "wear out", unless under warranty. Donno if 5 year 100k covers clutch, bearings etc..rear main seal of the engine??
As far as the rear end, there was a recall on that for the oil leaks, do you also hear any noises coming from back there?

What do you mean "its certified? and by whom?"

there is always room for negotiations...:thumbs: with da dealer man...:D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Clutch won't be covered since it's a "wear item". Mine chatters like crazy about half the time also.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't tell what you are driving, what r u piloting? Sol or Sky? year? type?
A clutch in general is not covered after initial warranty I believe. I think they are treated like brakes, you pay for its replacement cause they "wear out", unless under warranty. Donno if 5 year 100k covers clutch, bearings etc..rear main seal of the engine??
As far as the rear end, there was a recall on that for the oil leaks, do you also hear any noises coming from back there?

What do you mean "its certified? and by whom?"

there is always room for negotiations...:thumbs: with da dealer man...:D
I guess I should have been a little clearer. My bad.... It's the rear main seal on the engine. About 4000 miles ago when it was in, they replaced the oil filter cap (like I said in my OP). ;) It has been leaking down the back side of the motor. It's a GM Certified Used Vehicle. So I have the 5yr/100k powertrain warranty as well as the 12mth/12k warranty. So because the oil is running down the back of the motor, I think it's getting on the clutch (if it is the rear main seal on the engine).

·
Registered
728 Posts
I guess I should have been a little clearer. My bad.... It's the rear main seal on the engine. About 4000 miles ago when it was in, they replaced the oil filter cap (like I said in my OP). ;) It has been leaking down the back side of the motor. It's a GM Certified Used Vehicle. So I have the 5yr/100k powertrain warranty as well as the 12mth/12k warranty. So because the oil is running down the back of the motor, I think it's getting on the clutch (if it is the rear main seal on the engine).
There you go, thanks for the clarifications..:thumbs:

And yes I do believe the the engines main seal should be covered under the power train warranty AND even other warranties that you have should work. Since they changed the oil and saw the leak why didn't they setup an appointment to pull the engine and replace the seal right then and there? You know, that is the first that I have heard of this main seal breaking down... strange really.. Your clutch symptom could very well be related, but I would think the clutch would be slipping a lot if its covered in oil and or you should smell burnt oil. I would schedule an appointment ASAP and ask them how the procedure is done. Make sure they assign someone familiar with the kappa, preferably a kappa trained tech, or at the minimum a GM master tech..:thumbs:
PS: what year and car?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There you go, thanks for the clarifications..:thumbs:

And yes I do believe the the engines main seal should be covered under the power train warranty AND even other warranties that you have should work. Since they changed the oil and saw the leak why didn't they setup an appointment to pull the engine and replace the seal right then and there? You know, that is the first that I have heard of this main seal breaking down... strange really.. Your clutch symptom could very well be related, but I would think the clutch would be slipping a lot if its covered in oil and or you should smell burnt oil. I would schedule an appointment ASAP and ask them how the procedure is done. Make sure they assign someone familiar with the kappa, preferably a kappa trained tech, or at the minimum a GM master tech..:thumbs:
PS: what year and car?
It's an '08 GXP. I'm thinking its the rear main seal only because they said last time it was the oil filter cover. I'm not sure yet, it's at the dealership now. If they aren't covering the clutch, I'm leaning toward having it done.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I donno if you ever replaced your oil filter, but with purolator oil filter I buy, they give you a new oil seal for the cap, on the OEM ac delco filter they do not.. since they are so thin, I could see they wearing out and letting oil out thru the cap, however, you should be able to clearly see an oil trail from the cap if leaking from there, AND on a lift they will certainly be able to see where the oil is coming from if they are worth their salt....

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
I dont know if they have to pull the transmission to change the rear main or not. On the engines where I have done this, you got at the rear main seal through the pan area. I dropped the pan and changed out the rear main withouthaving to upll the transmission.

If they are pulling the transmission anyway as part of the repair, then I would highly recommend changing out the clutch and pressure plate at the same time. If not, it can cost a lot of labor to do this and I would wait to see if the clutch cleans itself up after the oil leak is fixed. Even then I would make every attempt to get a good will repair of the clutch or at least cost sharing with them. You did not wear the clutch out, the seal failure caused the issue.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow....this is funny. First they're telling me that it's leaking from the rear of the motor (the oil filter cap), and I said no, it was coming from the waterpump access cover.... So they replaced the oil filter cap. Now I'm telling them it's coming from the rear and they're saying its the WP access cover. If they would have listened to me 5k ago and replaced the WP access cover, I wouldn't be going through this!!!

So....I guess for now it's the WP access cover.... :brentil:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ping>>>>>>PONG<<<<<<PING>>>>>>>>PONG<<<<<< And they are not very good at it...sorry to say..:willy:

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Has the valve/cam cover been off the engine? Was the gasket replaced when it was off the car? I had a leak at the back of the engine from my cam cover when I powder coated it without changing the gasket. GM recommends changing that gasket if the cover is removed for any reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts