Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a preference to which material is better for the rear spoiler, fiberglass or molded plastic? Any pros or cons? I'm seeing advertised the rear spoiler in these 2 types of material and I'm not sure which one I should purchase...or if matters at all?

Thanks for the help,
Solman07

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Fiberglass will be stiffer but more prone to cracking. Molded plastic would tend to be more flexible, but that can lead to paint cracking (if it is painted and takes a load that would bend it.) My personal conclusion is that it won't likely matter at all.

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
Several of us have adopted the GM spoiler from the Cobalt. Works great. Easy to mount. Takes paint well and no issues after 10 years.

Others have gone with the stock spoiler which does provide useful downforce at speed.

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
John, I did not take the time to go look at the data again, but my recollection is that it becomes effective when the significant drag and lift would otherwise be an issue. You may be correct. Probably are.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
That spoiler spoils the look of the car. If anyone wants to fit something like that to their car, have a custom bumper sticker made that says "I Have No Taste" Has the same effect as the wing but a lot cheaper.

And Bill - the rear lip spoiler on the coupe has been given most of the credit for the coupe having a higher top speed than the convertible, but you are right - at legal speed it is just an appearance thing.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
That would be a wing, not a spoiler, and no one can call it "pretty".
My wife and I were sitting outside at a local grill house having lunch last summer when this came down the road (behind my back.) She exclaimed "Oh NO!" I asked "What?" "You'll get to see it when we leave - he's pulling in . . . "

As soon as we walked to the parking lot I laughed and pulled out the cell phone!

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
The wing on the Miata is actually a luggage rack that doesn't interfere with rear view vision.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I was pretty used to the rear aero device on the Fiero. Was that about the largest rear spoiler Pontiac used or were there other cars that came with larger ones?

·
Super Moderator
6,264 Posts
Anybody remember the plymouth roadrunner? It came from the factory with a spoiler that stuck up about four feet!
Actually they had wings, not spoilers, Wings need "clean" air to work properly, and they had to be that high to get out of the turbulence caused by the car's greenhouse.

·
Registered
275 Posts
According to a very old 'Car and Driver' article, the wing was placed that high so you could open the trunk (the wing was mounted to the fenders). This was back in the day when stock car meant something and in order to race NASCAR you had to have a similar vehicle available at the dealership.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Amazingly, they built almost 3,000 Superbirds (and another 500 Charger Daytonas).

It boggles the mind trying to think of what sort of customer would buy one of those and use it as a grocery getter (one assumes the same sort of 'look-at-me' types that buy Vipers). Only a few were high performance - only 151 got hemi or sixpacks, the rest being the regular 440 4 bbl.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts