Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife would like to keep her hair in better shape. What dealer/supplier has the best all around rear windscreen? I just bought the 2006, but LOVE it already.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've installed the GM windscreen on my car, it's been great and I get a lot of complements on how great it looks too~

It was a little complicated to install, I'm not that mechanical but the install looks perfect.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Windrestrictor.com They have about 90% of the market for Sols and wind blockers. Custom art, custom lights, etc all available. Good people to work with.

BTW Mark - there is a club in your area - check out Pacific Northwest Roadsters. This year the clubs regionals are starting in Portland and going to Astoria nd down the coast. Group drives are always a kick. PNWR has a web page and a FB page. Mike Perry is Pres.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
And then there's the people that don't particularly care for the looks of any of the wind screens. I bought a hat for my wife. :yesnod:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Get one of the glass ones not the windrestrictor (made of plastic) I have regretted my windrestrictor purchase and wished I went with the other company that makes glass ones since a week or so of installing the wind restrictor.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I ordered a gray tinted glass one from one of the site sponsers for my '06
sol about a month ago. They got my money but I have not seen the product yet. A couple weeks ago, they said it was on back order. Will be calling them tomorrow morning to see what gives...

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Thought of you yesterday exhibit when I cleaned my windrestrictor v2. Used a flannel rag and some window cleaner - no scratches at all.

Slybob - my wife hates hats, especially on ME. Told her "tough" and bought a Solstice hat from Steve. Need the extra shade as I wear glasses and the glare from the sun can be bothersome with the top down.

Mark - check out all the options as the members above have pointed out. Some like the etched artwork and lighting effects, some prefer clear, glass over plastic, some don't like the vibration - some don't mind, etc. I think all versions appear to be highly functional from the feedback everyone gives. Then it just becomes a preference of appearance, price, etc.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Get one of the glass ones not the windrestrictor (made of plastic) I have regretted my windrestrictor purchase and wished I went with the other company that makes glass ones since a week or so of installing the wind restrictor.
I have 4 WRs, they are lexan not plastic. A lot of bullet resistent "glass" includes lexan to provide structural strength and shatter resistance.

On the 47 cars in our club, there are at least 30 WRs installed and we have had one that had an issue which was handled by the manufacturer to our satisfaction.

We also have two fly catcher GM wind blockers. They are and acquired taste :thumbs: They look very mechanical in my opinion and I like them. I just could not bring myself to put up with the "huge" holes that are required to mount them.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I have the GM Flycatcher and I am 100% happy with it.:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
A point of clarification (and not trying to be a jerk). Lexan is plastic - polycarbonate. It's known in our industry as "tough sXXt"!! Rob, you're right that it is indeed what many people generically call bullet proof glass. It can take one heck of an impact. We molded tubes out of it one place I worked at and we'd try to break them by driving over them with a fork lift - couldn't do it!

Read in a trade rag many years ago about a riot helmet molded out of Lexan that could withstand a 45 caliber round without "incapacitating the wearer". I though, "Sure, the bullet didn't go through the helmet, but can you imagine how bad your bell would be rung after that?" :lol:

Polycarbonate doesn't like ketones or hydrocarbons, so some aggressive cleaners with solvents can cause problems. Worse yet, some of them won't show any immediate effects but over 6 months or so you start to get chemical stress cracking.

Acrylics (PMMA), commonly called "plexiglass" are VERY sensitive to solvents and not very scratch resistent. They will also shatter fairly easily. Crystal polystyrene's even worse.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Chicken
Thanks for the updated information.

You are of course correct. And you correctly identified my objective to clarify that they are not your normal plastic.

Just as an interesting aside, when Sandia was performing penetration testing of various high security storage facilities they were using shaped charges to cut through lock mechanisms. They found out that what appeared to be a simple plastic rain cover over a combination lock prevented penetration by the shaped charge. The plastic was breaking up the focus of the charge and was sloughing off the outer surface of the plastic long enough to prevent the shaped charge energy from reaching the lock. They were very surprised. Physics is phasinating

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another for Windrestrictor V2. I got mine the day after I brought my gxp home about 2 weeks ago and feel it is one of the most worthwhile mods I could have added. At first I bought it more for looks because a lot of the high end roadsters come with wind deflectors, but after driving some without it, the difference is definitely noticeable with it installed. If you don't like the "plastic" look as some have mentioned, go for the glass appeal. I have a clear glass appeal V2 and it looks like glass due to the way they finish the edge.

Aside from the actual product, the customer service is some of the best around. I found out I was local to King Penn Industries, so I made the trip to pick my Windrestrictor up. Rebbekah and everyone else at the company were extremely helpful and I would not hesitate to do business with them again.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the original version that screws in place. It has been installed since 12/30/05. Perfectly happy with it and it has never been off and it does not interfere with the top.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Silverfox - you found out they were local and used it as an excuse to take the Sol for a drive! lol!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Silverfox - you found out they were local and used it as an excuse to take the Sol for a drive! lol!
Alright, you caught me red handed! Ever since I brought the car home I've been looking for excuses to drive! This car is just so damn fun to drive!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I plan to, my brother goes to school down that way, so I figure it will be an excuse to visit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts