Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Mark, love your videos and I have watched them many times.
That is what my timing chain sounded like, not the continuous ticking but the intermittent clacks. Turns out my tensioner (the one on the side of the block) had collapsed and no longer functions causing slack.
You most likely know this but standard fare is to pull the VVT solenoids and check for metal debris in the screens. After that I would pull the valve cover and inspect for slack.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
2,867 Posts
You probably obviously already know this but… (and apologies)
After advice from the forum (screwdriver) I used a drumstick pressed into my ear and the other end on the various suspect parts.
I definitely was able to ascertain what noise was coming from where on my car really quickly. Was actually fascinating to hear all that engine noise get a little more isolated with the drumstick in my ear.
Make sure you aren’t wearing any hanging items like a necklace or hoody pull strings as you are really going to want to get in there.

love your work love your channel!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After advice from the forum (screwdriver) I used a drumstick pressed into my ear and the other end on the various suspect parts.
I definitely was able to ascertain what noise was coming from where on my car really quickly. Was actually fascinating to hear all that engine noise get a little more isolated with the drumstick in my ear.
Make sure you aren’t wearing any hanging items like a necklace or hoody pull strings as you are really going to want to get in there.

Thank you sir! I first learned that trick from my dad years ago. Recently I’ve been using a stethoscope with just an open tube on the end. You can really hear with that thing. Thanks for reminding me. I’ll check if the sound is coming from the timing chain area.

·
Administrator
10,701 Posts

I use an actual "listening rod" which is a three-foot-long steel rod about an eighth of an inch in diameter with a three quarter inch brass ball at one end. the steel conducts sound exceptionally well, and the length keeps you a bit more out of harm's way. You do still have to be careful to not stick it into anything moving, of course.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
2,867 Posts
I use an actual "listening rod" which is a three-foot-long steel rod about an eighth of an inch in diameter with a three quarter inch brass ball at one end. the steel conducts sound exceptionally well, and the length keeps you a bit more out of harm's way. You do still have to be careful to not stick it into anything moving, of course.
At 3ft that’s sounds like a cane or a walking stick.
Regardless it really is amazing utilizing dense material to conduct sound.
However I am generally easily fascinated so I suppose the bay is low for me.

·
Administrator
10,701 Posts
At 3ft that’s sounds like a cane or a walking stick.
Regardless it really is amazing utilizing dense material to conduct sound.
However I am generally easily fascinated so I suppose the bay is low for me.
Long enough for a cane, but definitely not stiff enough.

It is fascinating when something that just isn't intuitive turns out to work so well.

Reactions: HHGadget

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,008 Posts
if you think it's the guides pull the VVT solenoids. You will have metal on the screens.

That does sound like the chain slapping. When the RPMs drop it goes away as you said. but if you increase the RPMs to 1200-1500 or so and hold it the sound should come back.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Poor mans Chassis Ears (actually it's the old school chassis ears)

Make a cone out of paper. Take a long screwdriver and stick it into the cone. handle inside of the cone. tape the cone to the screwdriver. then touch the tip of the screwdriver to the timing chain cover or the front of the valve cover. The sound will get really loud when touching the source.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Slapping da Bass made me think of Davie504.

Start watching at 1:14 of this video:

I have to admit, if my timing set up sounded like that................ well, that'd just be interesting.
I was thinking Paul Rudd’s in character in “I Love You Man” obsession with Geddy Lee of Rush but the above will suffice.
SLAP!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm also on the timing chain bandwagon. Although when mine needed to be replaced it didn't make any noise at all as the chain had filed down the guide bolt. My VVT solenoids were just covered in metal shavings from the bolt getting filed down. It seems to be the same guide/bolt that fails for many. If you pull the guide bolt plug on the front right of the engine just below the valve cover you can see if that bolt and guide is even still there without tearing too far down. That bolt seems to walk out which causes the bolt to shear off leading to the guide to break and then the remaining guide bolt gets slapped pretty good.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Just finishing up doing the timing chain on my Lincoln MKS, then I have to change out an oil pan and a transmission pan on a classic 1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI (3.8 super charged). Then I move onto doing the timing chain in my Solstice except I am going to delete the balance shafts an convert the water pump to electric.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Thanks everybody for your input. I’m going to tear into this as soon as I get the current project out of the shop. Hopefully next week.
Hey Mark, I'd really appreciate it if you would video the repair from start to finish, and I'm sure a lot of others Kappa owners would too. TIA

1 - 20 of 43 Posts