Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,008 Posts
@Jtrue

OTTP (Over The Top Performance) has developed a conversion water pump kit that uses a DaviesCraig electric water pump and the pump bolts into the stock location. This would eliminate the balance shafts and also the balance shaft chain. I spoke with them on the phone and they are planning on releasing it on Memorial Day this year. They have had working prototypes installed for the last year to make sure there were no issues. This might be something of interest to you as I now there are people that would be interested in possibly doing this conversion but would want to see what is involved in the installation and how well it works. It would increase you revenue from YouTube I am sure. You might be able to work something out with OTTP as far as the cost of the kit goes. They do not have it listed on their website yet but here is the link if you want to reach out to them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@Jtrue

OTTP (Over The Top Performance) has developed a conversion water pump kit that uses a DaviesCraig electric water pump and the pump bolts into the stock location. This would eliminate the balance shafts and also the balance shaft chain. I spoke with them on the phone and they are planning on releasing it on Memorial Day this year. They have had working prototypes installed for the last year to make sure there were no issues. This might be something of interest to you as I now there are people that would be interested in possibly doing this conversion but would want to see what is involved in the installation and how well it works. It would increase you revenue from YouTube I am sure. You might be able to work something out with OTTP as far as the cost of the kit goes. They do not have it listed on their website yet but here is the link if you want to reach out to them.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
OoOo look at all those metal filings sitting on the top of the head where the VVT solenoids go. Check the chain lower down on the front of the motor one of the guides probably broke and the chain has beaten one of the bolts to death.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
and no there is not supposed to be slack in the chain between the phasers,

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
what we are seeing with the timing chains is the right lower guide breaks and the chain ends up slapping the bolt that holds the guide or the chain tensioner collapses and is not able to keep tension on the chain. Both things seem to be cause by age and not mileage. We have had a large number of people reporting guide and tensioner failures in the last 6 months or so. The mileage of the vehicles ranges from 20K miles to over 150k miles.. so the failures are not mileage related at all.

planned obsolescence is what this is. What is the average life expectancy of a vehicle? 14.2 years? I find that rather convenient that it aligns with the age of the solstices and the guide/tensioner failures. Those parts are designed to last ~14 years regardless of vehicle use and it is not a coincidence.

·
Registered
305 Posts
That is how my chain looked just prior to replacement. I think a certain amount was stretch. My guides were fine at 140k miles as were the bolts holding them in. As I mentioned above, my tensioner just was not providing the tension anymore. I replaced the chains/tensioners/guides and it solved it all. There should not be any slack as kg has stated.

Here's a pic of what mine looked like prior to replacement. Now it is taught.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Audio equipment Automotive wheel system

I'll throw this and you most likely already know but if you are going to replace the timing components replace the water pump now, while it is apart. Even if it is good. It will be bad soon enough and you don't want to crack this all open again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Good advice! How hard was replacing the chain with the engine still in the engine bay?

That is how my chain looked just prior to replacement. I think a certain amount was stretch. My guides were fine at 140k miles as were the bolts holding them in. As I mentioned above, my tensioner just was not providing the tension anymore. I replaced the chains/tensioners/guides and it solved it all. There should not be any slack as kg has stated.

Here's a pic of what mine looked like prior to replacement. Now it is taught.

View attachment 120562

I'll throw this and you most likely already know but if you are going to replace the timing components replace the water pump now, while it is apart. Even if it is good. It will be bad soon enough and you don't want to crack this all open again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Another question, is there an “everything included” kit that you guys would recommend for this job or do I need to buy everything piece by piece? Sorry for all the questions, but we’re used to doing bodywork on these car and haven’t done much engine stuff with them.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good advice! How hard was replacing the chain with the engine still in the engine bay?
It was relatively easy to do it but my car is not a turbo so I had a little less to work with. It is by no means a take the engine out type of thing and can be done in a weeekend. Others on here have done it with their gxp's. I believe it was HHgadget that had a good detailed thread on it. Sure he will chime in here.

I used the Cloyes rebuild kit, It came with everything including the water pump. I forget the part number but it is a standard Rock Auto thing. Came with new VVT cams as well. You can but the kits with varying degrees of completeness depending on what you want to change.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks Perry!

It was relatively easy to do it but my car is not a turbo so I had a little less to work with. It is by no means a take the engine out type of thing and can be done in a weeekend. Others on here have done it with their gxp's. I believe it was HHgadget that had a good detailed thread on it. Sure he will chime in here.

I used the Cloyes rebuild kit, It came with everything including the water pump. I forget the part number but it is a standard Rock Auto thing. Came with new VVT cams as well. You can but the kits with varying degrees of completeness depending on what you want to change.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I have to go and get the link. I did up a post and listed all of the parts and number and I also listed upgraded parts that should be done instead of the factory ones.The timing chain on the solstice is not to hard to do. If you are young or have a young back you can do the chain by taking off the accessories on the front of the motor and then the timing chain cover. If you are like myself that has a back that complains as much as the wife does about working on the car you will want to pull the hood, bumper cover, impact beam and radiator. This will give more then ample space to do the job.

Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

You have to follow the torque spec to a "T" pattern and all. You should also inspect the oil pump which is apart of the timing chain cover. pull the pump housing and check the gear and timing cover for scoring. Melling makes a rebuild kit if the timing cover is in good shape and if not they make the entire thing cover and all.

I can't remember if the VVT solenoids have to come out in order to get the chain out or if the chain can be slipped past them. If they have to be taken off and you are not replacing them you are going to need new bolts as they are torque to yield. You will also want either the cam holding tool or some big wrenches to hold the cams. You will need a 1/2 inch impact that has come good power to it or a 3' long breaker bar in order to get the cam bolts out.

Let me dig up that parts list for ya.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
That is what was making the noise. The cam chain tensioner has also failed, we know this because of the large amount of slack you have between the cam phasers. Take the oil pump apart and give an inspection of the internals to make sure everything looks good in there. Another user has stated that packing the pump with Vaseline will aid the pump when it primes. IDK if I would use Vaseline, I would probably us an engine assembly grease instead.

Reactions: Jtrue

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just did mine at 64k miles, it's not that bad once everything is removed. I used the Cloyes Youtube video as a reference and I had a successful outcome, but of course ran into a few issues. Link below to my writeup.

Here's what I shared on what I discovered on another post. @kgschlosser recommended a similar list above and it was very useful. I did just a few things different as an alternative, here is my recommendations.

"It was really helpful thanks. There is a few things I found out doing the project though to pass on.
1) I shopped around looking at Rockauto, Amazon, eBay, GM online part warehouses, etc. so having the part numbers was helpful. I ended up buying some parts from each depending on pricing (plus shipping) a lot of the seals, gaskets, and bolts I got on eBay from GM dealerships at the best prices.
2) Depending on the mileage and what's damaged, some parts will need to be replaced vs others. It's ultimately to each persons decision, but obviously since you're in there replace as much as you can. The balancing sprockets are a bear to remove and replace since you have to use a punch to hold the sprocket and it's hard to do this and use a torque wrench. If you don't have to replace these, you can leave them alone. Most of the other sprockets are easy to remove and replace or have to be removed anyway.
3) You will need an impact wrench with enough breakaway torque period. The balancer bolt and the cam phaser bolts aren't coming off with a breaker bar unless you're lucky IMO.
4) I also recommend a dab of black gasket maker on the 90 degree turns on the valve cover gasket as a just in case. I already had some in my toolbox and it also helps to hold the gasket from shifting and is usually a weak spot for oil leaks on every other engine I have ever worked on.

I ended up buying the Cloyes kits off Amazon courtesy of Prime.
Cloyes 9-4201SX Timing Chain - $84 (This kit does not include sprockets, but the only sprocket you need is the outer crank sprocket anyway and it rarely is damaged. If you need it, the "S" kit is about $20 more, but you may be able to find the sprocket for less by itself. You will not use the cam sprockets with this kit regardless)
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Cloyes 9-4201SX Timing Chain : Automotive
Buy Cloyes 9-4201SX Timing Chain: Chains - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

Cloyes 9-4202S Balance Shaft Kit - $86 (This includes the sprockets, if yours are fine then buy the "SX" kit without the sprockets and save about $10. If you have a 2.0 you won't use the inner crank sprocket with this kit anyway)
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Cloyes 9-4202S Balance Shaft Kit : Automotive
Buy Cloyes 9-4202S Balance Shaft Kit: Balance Shaft Parts - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

Dorman 917-954 Timing Chain Guide Bolt - $10 (Go ahead and buy this even if your bolt isn't sheared, it replaces a part known to fail. If yours did fail you will need this instead of drilling the bolt out and tapping.)
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Dorman 917-954 Timing Chain Guide Bolt Compatible with Select Models (OE FIX) : Automotive
Buy Dorman 917-954 Timing Chain Guide Bolt Compatible with Select Models (OE FIX): Chains - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

All of the seals and gaskets I got on eBay from various sellers using the cart feature. Most were GM dealership part departments.
24435052 Timing Cover Gasket $19
11589123 Harmonic Balancer Bolt $5
12584041 Front Crank Seal $8
11588844 Cam Phaser Bolts $6 (for 2)
12609291 Valve Cover Gasket $20

All with Free Shipping (sales tax of course added)

I did purchase the OTTP replacement guide bolts as mine were damaged from the chain after the guide failed and I did not want to reuse them. Since I used the Dorman part I only needed 2 of the 3 though. I also picked up the rest of the misc. guide bolts from the hardware store and just matched the specs. I probably could of reused them, but it was a minimal cost and I just brought one and matched it for size, thread, and hardness.

I did not replace the cam phasers, the WP sprocket, or the inner and outer crank sprocket. I inspected them thoroughly and they showed no sign of excessive wear or damage on my 64k mile car. Obviously that's a risk I chose to take and to each their own, I average about 2k miles per year and was a risk I felt comfortable with. FWIW, ZZP also states on their website when viewing their Cloyes timing kit that they do not include sprockets as quote "Note: We do not include the Cloyes gears because we have found multiple issues with them over the years. Re-use all of the stock gears from your OE timing set, we have never found issue with them or seen wear over the thousands of Ecotec timing sets we've done." and "Fits: 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 liter Ecotec engines (except the balance shaft timing gear/sprocket). 2.0 cars will re-use their crank sprocket."

I also had just replaced the VVT solenoids and WP just before the timing chain job so I didn't replace those with this. I replaced the belts while I was there and also added the coolant air bleeders since I had pulled the hoses and radiator anyway. You will need a couple various tools too like torque wrenches (one in foot and inch pounds), a torque angle gauge, an impact with plenty of breakaway torque, 24 mm wrench to hold the cams, and various sockets and adapters. "

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
2,866 Posts

Not me! Noooo don’t put that out there. I am up to my eye balls in clutch and air bubble right now :)
KG gets credit for the detailed list I think.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts