Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Add me to the list of frustrated owners...

I didn't even get the recall letter until last August. I hadn't seen any leaks and my GXP seemed completely fine. So I didn't make a special trip to take it in. I had the dealer do the recall in October when I took it in for an oil change. In December I noticed spots on the garage floor. So I put down some shop towels and determined that it was leaking 2-3 drops/night. So I took it back to the dealer. They 'fixed' it again. A week later it started leaking again. And this time, much more - maybe 15-20 drops/night. Enough to form a small puddle. So I took it back again. Again, fixed. They said they overfilled the differential. Two weeks ago? Yep, I notice more spots on the garage floor. I've been watching it, replacing shop towels, and it's again back to 2-3 drops/night.

This is so annoying. The car goes back again on Tuesday. I understand recalls. I have no problem with that. But this is the first car I've ever owned where the recall actually broke the car. 16k miles and it leaks like an old Harley. Awesome. :cuss:

·
Registered
25 Posts
A followup for posterity....

So that last post was back in March of '09. Today is 12/1/09.

After that last dealer trip back in March, the leaking stopped and the car seemed ok. Over the summer, I started to notice some occasional grinding/dragging while going around corners. Especially when warmed up. I took it in to the dealer to ask them to check the differential. They dismissed it as normal.

In October (around 30k miles) the grinding got much worse. Bad enough that you could really hear it even from outside the car. It would grind on every corner, regardless of speed, temperature, or sharpness of the turn. I took it back to the dealer and told them that there's no way this is normal. They agreed and said there was a TSB involving a different fluid additive. The grinding went away for about a month. A few weeks ago, the grinding suddenly came back, as loud and obnoxious as ever.

I took it right back in. This time the dealer agreed that the clutch packs are shot and GM told them to replace the whole rear end this time. Nice. It's getting that done today. Glad this is all under warranty, as the dealer says it'd be about $3,000 worth of work if it weren't. :cryin:

So if anyone is reading this with an '07 GXP that's grinding around corners, TAKE IT IN!!! :brentil:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good Morning, I Own Three Coupes And One Ragtop. One Is Auto And When I Went To Dealer I Noticed That On The Rear Diff On Manuals Threr Was A Shiney Black Bracket Attached To Diff With Two Large Bolts On Underside. On The Auto Vehicle , There Was No Black Bracket. Is This Correct. 2009 New Coupe Auto Number 760 Compared To 2009 Coupe Number 1006 5 Speed . Thank You.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

I have a GXP here in the UK, so no local dealerships, the diff is leaking, how can I get this repaired? Will it be covered on a recall? If so how? and who can do it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi All,

I have a GXP here in the UK, so no local dealerships, the diff is leaking, how can I get this repaired? Will it be covered on a recall? If so how? and who can do it?
I just had my Pinion Seal replaced and it was the recall issue.
As far as getting it repaired in the Old Country, can't help you. Try contacting GM.

Recall Reason POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT:SEAL
Recall Date DEC 20, 2007
Model Affected SOLSTICE
Potential Units Affected 275936

Recall Summary
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE REAR AXLE PINION SEAL DOES NOT MEET ALL OF THE SPECIFICATIONS AND MAY EXPERIENCE A FLUID LEAK.

Consequence
A REAR DIFFERENTIAL FAILURE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER AND POSSIBLY LOSS OF CONTROL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE PINION SEAL FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 1, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-800-458-8006 OR HTTP://WWW.CADILLAC.COM; PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668 OR HTTP://WWW.PONTIAC.COM; AND SATURN AT 1-800-972-8876 OR HTTP://WWW.SATURN.COM.

Notes
GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 07204

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased an '06 NA 2 weeks ago. About a week ago I started hearing the grinding and clunking associated with the diff problems on Solstices. Took it into the dealer yesterday and they performed a diff flush and refilled it with new fluid and the additive. They did not change the seals. They told me that there were no outstanding recalls on my vehicle and this TSB needs to be performed about every 30K miles. I'm a bit suspicious that they are trying to slap a band-aid on the problem until I'm out of warranty and in the meantime guarantee them some business on a regular basis. Does the diff still leak after the seals have been changed out and the fluid just needs to be changed regularly or are they trying to get one over on me? Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,243 Posts
I just purchased an '06 NA 2 weeks ago. About a week ago I started hearing the grinding and clunking associated with the diff problems on Solstices. Took it into the dealer yesterday and they performed a diff flush and refilled it with new fluid and the additive. They did not change the seals. They told me that there were no outstanding recalls on my vehicle and this TSB needs to be performed about every 30K miles. I'm a bit suspicious that they are trying to slap a band-aid on the problem until I'm out of warranty and in the meantime guarantee them some business on a regular basis. Does the diff still leak after the seals have been changed out and the fluid just needs to be changed regularly or are they trying to get one over on me? Thanks.
Ask them to check your VIN. 06 models were all on the recall to have the seals replaced..their system should show if this was done on your car or not.

Unfortunately, the 06 differentials are problematic and were redesigned in 07, many members here have had their's replaced - most under warranty. This is something you dealership should also be able to ascertain from your VIN.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ask them to check your VIN. 06 models were all on the recall to have the seals replaced..their system should show if this was done on your car or not.

Unfortunately, the 06 differentials are problematic and were redesigned in 07, many members here have had their's replaced - most under warranty. This is something you dealership should also be able to ascertain from your VIN.
Thanks for the info. I gave my dealer the VIN and all they would tell me is that there are no outstanding recalls for my car. I'm thinking I might call up another local GM dealer and see what info they are willing to give me. I've still got a couple of months on the 5 yr 100k powertrain from GM so hopefully that'll cover it.

Unfortunately for me it seems like the original owner of my SOL decided to forego maintenance and trade in the car instead.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Drive axle leak -

Ok, I am upset :brentil: Axelrod Pontiac won't fix my leak!

I had my car serviced last Saturday at Axelrod Pontiac and they checked the rear drive axel which was caked with grease. (also on my garage floor). They said that they can't fix it on a Saturday but they "cleaned it off and topped up the fluid".

I made an appointment for today and no sign of fluid leak, so they won't fix it!

They also said that there is a weap whole in the differential and that it is "normal" for fluid to overflow from it.

They aslo said that if it was repaired that the manufacture wouldn't pay to remove the DDM backbone or the Curt hitch that I have on the car. I tried to explain that the backbone has the same 12 bolts that were on the factory backbone... He also was wrong about the hitch. Which dosn't need to be removed to get the exhaust out of the way.

Is there any dealership in cleveland that could help me!

·
Administrator
9,243 Posts
caked in grease..or covered in oil? With a puddle on the floor? How big a puddle?

Have you any of the TSBs done? Vent tube, seals, pinion seal recall (sorry I did not notice model year of your car).

·
Administrator
9,243 Posts
Bad dealer or uneducated. As you said, the backbone is exact the same bolts...d'uh and it's not a "weep hole" it's a vent tube, if it is the older style, early 07s had them too, then there a TSB.

Sorry, I don't have time to look for it right now but if you go to the FAQ section I think a link to a discussion on the issue may be found there, you could then take that to the dealer :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I apologize for thread-jacking, but I'm curious, has there been any problems found with the '08+ differentials? This thread makes me nervous!!! LOL mine's a 2008 Sky 2.4L auto
thanks

·
Administrator
9,243 Posts
I apologize for thread-jacking, but I'm curious, has there been any problems found with the '08+ differentials? This thread makes me nervous!!! LOL mine's a 2008 Sky 2.4L auto
thanks
No, the differentials were redesigned in 07 and I don't recall too many having issues with the newer design.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 2006 Solstice N/A ,and now wish I would have read all the data regarding this recall for the pinon seal/differential.There are many complaints on safercar.gov and other sites that specifically mention the rear diff locking up while driving... possibly at highway speeds, yikes! sometimes without warning no less, and of course ,lots of accident reports from the failure.Whats even more distressful is how many times some of these owners have taken their car in for the recall repairs only to have leaks or complete failure again and again.So did GM really never "Fix" the issues with revisions etc,or are the dealerships careless and some mechanics too incompetent to make the required repairs correctly?
I am now quite terrified to even drive the Solstice I just bought a few hours earlier this evening.I have loved the Solstice design for many years and was excited to finally purchase one,but totally losing control of your vehicle at 70+ mph doesn't sound very appealing to me.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I just purchased a 2006 Solstice N/A ,and now wish I would have read all the data regarding this recall for the pinon seal/differential.There are many complaints on safercar.gov and other sites that specifically mention the rear diff locking up while driving... possibly at highway speeds, yikes! sometimes without warning no less, and of course ,lots of accident reports from the failure.Whats even more distressful is how many times some of these owners have taken their car in for the recall repairs only to have leaks or complete failure again and again.So did GM really never "Fix" the issues with revisions etc,or are the dealerships careless and some mechanics too incompetent to make the required repairs correctly?
I am now quite terrified to even drive the Solstice I just bought a few hours earlier this evening.I have loved the Solstice design for many years and was excited to finally purchase one,but totally losing control of your vehicle at 70+ mph doesn't sound very appealing to me.
From what I understand, failures were rare and the repetitive repairs were before the TSB came out. Have a dealer check that the recall was done and the fluid level is good. The bad seals seeped, they did not abruptly fail.

·
Super Moderator
16,268 Posts
I personally have only read of one differential catastrophic failure that resulted in a lockup while driving. Most failures have given plenty of evidence before they reach that point

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did a GM Vin History check and the previous owner had the car in for recall replacement of pinion seal 1/09,however this morning when I crawled under the car to examine the diff housing there is dried on crud on most of it. I have been doing alot of reading about the subject and see that quite a few solstice forum members ended up getting GM to swap out their 06 carrier for an 08 redesigned unit GM P/N 25858218
I am aware that GM has already done the recall work in 09 so I would have to buy the diff myself and have it installed,maybe get one from car-parts.com? Provided they assure me of that particular part #,what do you guys think?

CARRIER. Final Drive. Hardware Part for Pontiac Solstice (2006, 2007, 2008) (25858218)

·
Registered
5 Posts
More info emerges
I had an opportunity this morning to drive on the highway for 25-30 miles
The diff has a LOUD whine at approx 58mph ,its really bad 60-67mph and increases in pitch the faster you are going,its only when you are pressing on the gas,if you let off the gas pedal still in gear you don't hear any whine.
So,I take the car in to a mechanic and he looks the car over and mentions that the diff has been changed out completly,turns out the car had a rear collision in 2011 so if thats the case the recall work done in 2009 on the original diff is moot since its no longer on the car.Would really have been nice for Getrag to put the UPC and GM Part # on the BOTTOM of the diff so you don't have to remove to see which revision you have.
I brought with me a couple quarts of GM #88862624 - GM Dexron LS Gear Oil which already has the friction additive added hoping it might quiet down the carrier,the mechanic said that the old fluid was really dirty,like it had never been changed and added that there was lots of metal particles in the remains...G R E A T:brentil:
I am glad for one thing,I bought the car for what I thought was a really good price,so it won't hurt as bad having to put some repair $ in her right away.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts