Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking my car for its airbag recall. First dealership said that they have to first run a diagnostic test (and charge me for it) because only 2% are really air bag issues. I stated my light is on, I have the recall letter stating this is for free and just want the recall properly completed.

The second dealership said they will fix the recall then let me know of any other issues they find (for free) prior to fixing anything else.

Being that these are both GM dealerships, which is more realistic? Am I being jerked around because I am a woman? What should I really expect when I go this week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,195 Posts
Taking my car for its airbag recall. First dealership said that they have to first run a diagnostic test (and charge me for it) because only 2% are really air bag issues. I stated my light is on, I have the recall letter stating this is for free and just want the recall properly completed.

The second dealership said they will fix the recall then let me know of any other issues they find (for free) prior to fixing anything else.

Being that these are both GM dealerships, which is more realistic? Am I being jerked around because I am a woman? What should I really expect when I go this week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'd pass by that first dealer by a wide margin, or they didn't understand what you are talking about.

The 2nd dealer has a better understanding of the procedure.

That said, the fact that the airbag light is on does not mean that the Passenger Presence System is defective. There are other, non-recall, items that can cause the airbag light to be on. The recall procedure will reinforce the PPS if it is not necessary to replace the PPS.

Welcome to the forum!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response.

I am open to the fact there could be something more wrong with the car since my dash board lights dim randomly. However, that has been on going for the past 3 years with no other issues.

So thankful for this forum because I love my car just frustrated with the repair / recall process.

·
Registered
12 Posts
GM has no intention of getting the airbag recall completed. I have been fighting GM (by phone) and the dealer for months requiring a lot of wasted time. Nothing is done. The blame is always passed on. They say not to call them until they call. What good is a required recall if there is no redress for the problem? I even performed all the tests in the service bulletin and told them so they would know what my 08 needed. Is there not a legal requirement for GM to service ans fix the problem? God forbid that the lack of service for this issue would resulr in injury or death of a passenger in an accident.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Thank you for the response.

I am open to the fact there could be something more wrong with the car since my dash board lights dim randomly. However, that has been on going for the past 3 years with no other issues.

So thankful for this forum because I love my car just frustrated with the repair / recall process.
My PPS recall was done with no charge. Only problem was getting the new seat sensor, which took about a month. They did run the diagnostic to be sure what the problem was, but that was considered part of the recall fix and was also free.

The dash lights may be just normal operation. Mine will sometimes brighten or dim when I go from shade to direct sunlight. It is a function of the auto light system. You can test this by rotating the end of your turn signal knob toward you when you start the car. You will get an AUTO LIGHT SYSTEM OFF warning, the headlights will turn off, and the dash lights will brighten. then push the DIC button on the left side of your steering wheel. The warning sign will go off and the DIC will return to whatever you have chosen to display there. I always display my coolant temp. I always do this with the top down to keep my instruments on bright. They are hard enough to see as it is, especially the gas gauge.

welcome to the forum,
Bill,

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Just had my recall done just a heads up so you know what to expect it's basically a 2 step process the first is to run a diagnostic test to see if the membrane is indeed broken than they order the part that is needed (they don't stock them from what my service advisor told me ) membrane or membrane cover .I was fortunate that my sensor was fine so they ordered the cover which took a week and installed it they need to remove the seat from the car retest to make sure every ything is working this procedure took a couple of hours . If your dealer tells you he has to charge you for the diagnostic test you need to report the dealer to GM this is part of the safety recall and is covered by it . As for checking other things on the car while in service this is something that all dealers do I got a check list back and they told me my battery should be replaced it's another way of the dealer making money you do not have to have the addition work performed if you don't want to and it at least gives you a heads up to any potential service issues .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a woman and have 2006 Solstice and currently doing the airbag recall this month. I went to dealership who said it'll take 1 hour to do. Spent 2 hrs in waiting room to be told that they need to order a part and when it's in, I return to have it installed for 2 hrs. Got the call and it goes in next week to be done. There is zero charge at any point of this recall and I spoke to my GM dealer about your issue and he laughed that any place that had the nerve to charge you, needs a swift kick as that's illegal on this recall. Hope this helps. Be prepared that it will take several weeks for the dealership to order and obtain the part.

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
I'm a woman and have 2006 Solstice and currently doing the airbag recall this month. I went to dealership who said it'll take 1 hour to do. Spent 2 hrs in waiting room to be told that they need to order a part and when it's in, I return to have it installed for 2 hrs. Got the call and it goes in next week to be done. There is zero charge at any point of this recall and I spoke to my GM dealer about your issue and he laughed that any place that had the nerve to charge you, needs a swift kick as that's illegal on this recall. Hope this helps. Be prepared that it will take several weeks for the dealership to order and obtain the part.
interesting...

I went to the dealership to order the parts for 3 cars.
It took about 3 days for the parts to appear.
I then scheduled my cars - one per week.

Each time I waiting for the car just 1 hour.

No charges

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I may be wrong in this but i believe there are 2 scenarios we may find ourselves in, both with different "repairs". Unfortunately I forget what the repair is

Scenario A - Membrane broken
Scenario B - Membrane NOT broken

Scenario A fix - I dunno?
Scenario B fix - Tape to reinforce membrane

I remember reading somewhere on the forums that someone's opinion was that if the membrane isn't actually broke then don't bother with the fix until it's truly broken, because the fix was "better". Of course.....I can't remember the exact fix so who knows.

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
In your Scenario A you will have a Service Airbag message, an airbag warning light, and an indicator that says the airbag is off even with someone in the seat. In this case it will always take two visits, one for the diagnosis and a second to install a new sensor. The second visit may be after a considerable delay as parts, if they are available at all, are a rather long delivery.

In your Scenario B you will not have any warnings or messages, and your airbag indicator will correctly indicate on and off depending on the presence of a passenger, unless it is a very light (less than 110 lb) passenger, in which case the indicator may still indicate off with them in the seat. In this case the repair will probably be done in one visit, and will require that the seat be disassembled and a piece of reinforcing tape applied to the sensor that is already in the seat.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,195 Posts
I concur with JohnWR as to the 2 scenarios and the expected repair scenarios. There is a possibility that the "tape" reinforcement may not be in the dealer stock, in which case you would have to return to have it applied at a later date. But it is only a $3 part, and it seems to be readily available, so there is no reason a dealership should not have it in stock. At least that's my thoughts on that part, but I can imagine the scenario where that part is NOT in the dealer's inventory, especially if the dealer is not used to servicing Kappas.

FWIW, the repair on mine, with the added tape, only took 45 minutes from the time I drove into the service department to getting in the car to drive away.

YMMV

:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
I believe that it is procedure for the dealer to have the tape on hand for the first scheduled visit since every car will require it.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
GM has no intention of getting the airbag recall completed. I have been fighting GM (by phone) and the dealer for months requiring a lot of wasted time. Nothing is done. The blame is always passed on. They say not to call them until they call. What good is a required recall if there is no redress for the problem? I even performed all the tests in the service bulletin and told them so they would know what my 08 needed. Is there not a legal requirement for GM to service ans fix the problem? God forbid that the lack of service for this issue would resulr in injury or death of a passenger in an accident.
I understand your frustration. GM does have an obligation to resolve this problem and they have begun the process. That's where it gets complicated.

Adding the "reinforcement" is a simple process, provided your sensor is not broken. They test the system and if it is working, install the reinforcement. If the sensor mat is broken, you need to wait for the parts to be received. (This may be longer if you're in Puerto Rico.)

The availability of the replacement sensor mat appears to be the hold up. If you're one of the lucky ones that received a sensor early in the recall, you're set. If not it appears you're going to wait for a while. That begs the question "why wouldn't replacement parts be available?"

About 25 years ago U.S. car companies started demanding that their suppliers pay for tooling. The supplier of a sensor, for example, adds some to their piece price to recover the cost of the tooling, usually over the period of a couple of years. If they sell enough sensors, they get their money back. But what if that car company goes bankrupt and leaves the supplier with a bunch of unpaid bills for sensors they've delivered and haven't been paid for? If the supplier isn't one of the "big fish" they won't ever get paid. Since they owned the tooling they can scrap it for whatever they can get for it or opt to hold onto it.

If the supplier is asked to make more sensors in the future, the supplier is in control as they own the tooling and want to get paid back for everything they were owed at the time of the bankruptcy. Or they could tell the car company to pound salt where the sun doesn't shine and the car company has to have someone else build tooling (which can take an extended period of time) and validate their new sensors.

This is CRITICAL step. GM already has a potential liability issue. If the "new" sensors are not carefully validated, they could just be replicating the existing risk or actually INCREASING the risk with the new sensors.

I wouldn't say GM is resisting correcting the problem nor are they intentionally dragging their feet. They're not rushing it either - both for valid risk reasons and, of course, costs.

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
......About 25 years ago U.S. car companies started demanding that their suppliers pay for tooling. The supplier of a sensor, for example, adds some to their piece price to recover the cost of the tooling, usually over the period of a couple of years. If they sell enough sensors, they get their money back. But what if that car company goes bankrupt and leaves the supplier with a bunch of unpaid bills for sensors they've delivered and haven't been paid for? If the supplier isn't one of the "big fish" they won't ever get paid. Since they owned the tooling they can scrap it for whatever they can get for it or opt to hold onto it.

If the supplier is asked to make more sensors in the future, the supplier is in control as they own the tooling and want to get paid back for everything they were owed at the time of the bankruptcy. Or they could tell the car company to pound salt where the sun doesn't shine and the car company has to have someone else build tooling (which can take an extended period of time) and validate their new sensors........
This is not universally true. For us, in fact, it is just the opposite. We used to pay for and own our tooling, but now we are paid by the OEM for the tooling and it is owned by them. They (GM especially) decided that they wanted control of parts production and wanted to have the ability to pull tooling from one supplier to give to another. As a side effect, we are not allowed to use the tooling to make aftermarket parts. We also almost always have a contractual obligation to maintain the ability to make service parts for the OEM for 10 years after the end of production.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
This is not universally true. For us, in fact, it is just the opposite. We used to pay for and own our tooling, but now we are paid by the OEM for the tooling and it is owned by them. They (GM especially) decided that they wanted control of parts production and wanted to have the ability to pull tooling from one supplier to give to another. As a side effect, we are not allowed to use the tooling to make aftermarket parts. We also almost always have a contractual obligation to maintain the ability to make service parts for the OEM for 10 years after the end of production.
That was the "norm" up until 25 years ago, at least in the plastic molding sector. Even when I was dealing with "tier one" suppliers (they sell direct to the OEM's), they were being required to pay for the tooling and they would in turn pressure us to pay for it. I cautioned them at the time that if something breaks down in the chain, there are big legal questions as to who owns what. Say GM owns the design of the component but my company owns the tooling. I can't sell anything off of the tooling as it's not my design, but GM can't take possession of the tooling unless they pay me for it.

That pendulum started swinging the other way by the early 2k's because so many sub-suppliers were going out of business because they couldn't absorb the cost hit of doing business that way. So they began to pay for tooling again in order to maintain control. After all, they were paying for it anyway, it was just an accounting stunt to make their books look good.

An interesting twist was when everyone started going to China for tooling at a 70% discount, we had a local tier one tell us we had to prove to BMW, their customer, that we WEREN'T going to China and that all tooling was produced locally. Seems like they were burned one too many times by that process.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
John - are they still hitting you up for x% per year price reduction for "the life of the program" but not defining what the "life" would be? I always loved that one. 3% per year on something that might last 20 years so after about 5 years I'm basically paying you to take parts from me!

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
I have never seen a prohibition against copying a part, as long as the OEM logos are not used. Technically speaking, the windscreen design is not patented, copyrighted, or trademarked, so copying it is not a problem. That is why Safelight, Pilkington, Fuyao, and others are able to sell replacement windscreens. They will buy an OEM part and design tooling to make the same thing. When the contracts were limited to the parts themselves we were able to use the tooling that we designed and built to the drawings instead of a sample, so it cut out a big step in producing AGR parts. Now the contracts are to design and build a tool, then to use it to make the parts. Since they are paying directly for the design and construction of the tool they own it, and that is why we can't use it for anything but their parts.

We used to see a lot of that, mainly from the FNPs who called it a "cost-down". Now, with much more aggressive quoting, it has mainly gone away. We do still see it on some occasions, when a part is exceptionally complex and we know there will be a steep learning curve, but then the cost-down is limited to the first year or two.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had no problem getting my recall done in June 2018..but it took 5 months to get my $501.98 reimbursed. It took 5 calls to to GM Assistance and 2 trips to the dealer but finally ....success!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts