Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I started to experience knocking in the suspension which seems to be coming from all wheels.

I have been under the car and have not found anything to be loose.

It appears that up/down motion creates no to minimal knocking. Sideloading, or situations where the car may be turning and going over bumps cause more of the solid knocking sound.

I am not finding anything that is rubbing.

I have 2009 gxp with zok package, with the zok crossmember as well as the kappaperformance suspension brace. I have no additional bracing in the front.

Any suggestions before I bring it to the dealer and have them look at it? Im at a loss.

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional Data point.... 37lbs pounds in each tire.

My perception seems to be that it makes those noises when the suspension has to travel up/down/sideload quickly, and less so when the bumps and such allow for a single up/down motion vs multiple.

I need to try to drive it more in those two conditions, but thought I would through that out there as well.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Tires are over inflated.
Our tires called for about 29 lbs of pressure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can also check your sway bar bushings..

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Unlikely that bushings would go on all 4 wheels at once. My money's on the tire pressure - that's WAY high.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
reduced the pressure... still knocks... Front is definitely knocking. Its really hard to tell if the rear is just an echo or is also knocking

I checked that everything is tight and torqued, and i dont see any binding or rubbing on sway bars anywhere.

unfortunately.... im at a loss. I did take it to the dealer and will see what they come up with.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Take a pry bar and start prying at various linkages. Common areas to pry on are any ball joint, so that means upper and lower control arm, and tie-rod. Then I'd also check the linkage with the 2 ball joints on each end for the anti-sway bar.

Based on your comment:

"It appears that up/down motion creates no to minimal knocking. Sideloading, or situations where the car may be turning and going over bumps cause more of the solid knocking sound."

My guess would be the linkage between the sway bar with the ball joint on both ends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts