Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to add to the HUGE recessed grills thread. So, I'm starting this one as a customer who had ordered a set, recently sent me pics of his recent install. He said he was pleased with the overall look of the grills on his car. He also had mentioned he broke some mounting tabs during installation which was expected. However, one thing he had also noticed was that the lower inside corner of the frames comes proud of his N/A fascia about 1/4". Not as noticeable until you look close up and from the bottom. He assures me that he had seated the frame all the way down as I had asked if it wasn't seated. There are two possibilities to this issue.

One, the grills were originally built off the gxp model fascia. From the looks of it, GM may have tweaked the lower part of the fascia a bit forward to accommodate the lower lip and grill for the gxp model. Whereas, the N/A model has no lower lip and grill, it has a tighter radius curve on the lower part of the fascia. However, it doesn't make sense to do this as any differences in the grill area of the fascia between the two models would affect the oem grills as well and I know that both models share the same oem grills and mounting tab locations.

The other possibility is that this may be an isolated incident where the frames may have 'flattened' out a bit on that lower corner of the frame while it was still curing. In this case, I would replace the set for a proper fit. However, to prove this theory, I need to know if there are any other N/A sols that have already installed their set and what the results were. So, if anyone can kindly post some pics of their N/A with the grills installed for verification purposes, that would be appreciated.

All in all, the customer likes the look of the recessed grills on his vehicle and said that he could live with the minor flaw for his N/A.

·
Registered
517 Posts
From the pics you posted, it looks like the N/A rounds under and is more pointy/shorter than the GXP front end. Also the holes for the fogs/brake vents is wider on the GXP would could hide from the eye a slightly flatter front side. Which they could use the same parts, but maybe just adjust them a little different, or angle the way they are screwed in differently than the GXP? Just thinking out loud.

You are not crazy for thinking the way you are thinking. I know the PT's did this when they went turbo. Bottom of their facia sticks out more forward and is more rounded than its non-turbo conterparts. Cause they needed room for the intercooler.

But damn those pieces are gorgeous.. I've told LiquidPT when he is ready just order them. Cause they look that good installed. :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I love them....they will be on my list.... it looks as if he didn't remove or trim the bumper foam... I thought that had to be done ?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Are you sure the grills are the same in both the non-aspirated and turbo models? If the part numbers are different that might indicated the GXP grills has been slightly modified.
Regardless, fom these pics it appears to fit nicely.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I think the problem is the crash protection foam was not cut away from inside the grills, it might be holding the grills out.

Remove everything, cut the foam back and then see if they sit flush.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think the problem is the crash protection foam was not cut away from inside the grills, it might be holding the grills out.

Remove everything, cut the foam back and then see if they sit flush.
The foam was cut. There is no contact.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Price Adjustment...

I like the way you are being proactive with the minor fit issue.

Nice parts. I wish I had a few more disposable bucks to throw your way.
In light of the discovery of this fitting issue, I've decided to roll back the price of the recessed grills back to $199 to help compensate for the imperfection. I just don't feel right in charging the retail price for something that was not up to par for the N/A owners. This price will also apply to the GXP owners as well. Here's a direct link to order:

recessed grills

Those that have ordered previously and paid the retail price will get the difference in cost refunded back to them via PayPal. The price will remain at $199 until a viable solution is found and in which it will go back to retail. However, shipping costs had to be adjusted to $15 instead of the original $12 as I forgot to add the cost of the shipping box itself during the original sale.

Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

rudy

·
Registered
231 Posts
Rudy you are one of the top notch vendors here. Though I haven't gotten the extra coin laying around yet. But when this whole mess cleans itself up I will be heading your way for a few things. It is always good to hear that customer service and attention to detail is your first priority. Keep it up.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My old eyes deceived me. :D

I sit (too tired to stand :lol: ) corrected. :yesnod:
Hitting half-a-century hardly qualifies you to use that excuse...

Selective perception ("done so neatly it looks like it wasn't touched") is

more appropriate.;)

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Hitting half-a-century hardly qualifies you to use that excuse...

Selective perception ("done so neatly it looks like it wasn't touched") is

more appropriate.;)
Well, of course that's what I was _thinking_. I just didn't want to sound like some boot-licking lackey. :D

BTW, my body is 50, my eyes are much older. :lol:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think we can all agree that those grilles look amazing. Rudy has done a great job bringing these products to us to make our cars look even better than they were from the factory. Seeing these grilles on a Deep make me even more anxious to get mine and put them on. Thanks Rudy !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts