Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I arrived home today to find a package from Rudy and Aftershock on my front porch. I was excited to open it up and see what we have been waiting for all this time while Rudy put his effort into making these perfect...and perfect they are!!!!

The material is solid and seems very strong, but should still be handled with care. The tabs look good. The inserts need to be glued to the outer frame, or the other option would be to drill a small, inconspicuous hole through and wire them together for easier removal.

The grills will need to be smoothed for paint, and there is some excess material in the honeycomb that will be taken out when prepping for paint. Everything Rudy has said was accurate. I am super excited to get these painted and installed. I will probably glue the inner honeycomb to the outer inserts, rather than drill and risk cracking the material.

Kudos Rudy!

Here are some pre-install pictures:

Packaged

The two pieces together

Front

Back

Closeup of honeycomb with excess silicone material (on back side)- remove this before paint

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Can the excess material on the backside be removed by sanding with a DA sander and light grit paper? This would give very crisp edges to the honeycomb where the silicone is removed.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The excess silicone flakes off to the touch, for the most part. The front of the grills and the outer shell are pretty smooth to begin with. To be safe, I would do it by hand and not use a machine sander.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
what color are you going to do?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I like the way they look. Please post pics when you install them. Availability? Price?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the way they look. Please post pics when you install them. Availability? Price?
Aftershock has them available now...he is a vendor here on the forum. Check his section and the pricing is there.

·
Registered
601 Posts
What glue is recommended for the inner honeycombs to stay in place?
hi Speedee...

You can use a 2-part 5 minute epoxy clear cement you can purchase at your local Home Depot. Get the one that comes with a syringe for accurate application.

If you plan to remove the inserts in the future, I suggest drilling a small pinhole-sized hole through both the frame and inserts at an inconspicuous location and run a small guage wire to tie them together. Don't worry about cracking the material when drilling as it's made to be sanded and machined. Just don't drive the bit in too fast and take your time at it and you'll be fine.

rudy

·
Registered
601 Posts
The excess silicone flakes off to the touch, for the most part. The front of the grills and the outer shell are pretty smooth to begin with. To be safe, I would do it by hand and not use a machine sander.
The excess material you see is flash material from the molds. Basically left over casting material. This can be excess materiall flakes off with your fingers and you can file and sand the tunnels of each honeycomb hole. Just be carelful not to sand or file too much of the front outside edges of the holes as that will change the profile of the openings. The front surfaces of both the insert and outter frames are already smooth and finished.

The silicone residue I refer to is when a casted part comes from silicone molds, there are traces of silicone oils on the surface of the parts. This can be cleased with a simple degreaser or even paint thinner before applying primer. Just soak a rag and wipe down the areas that you'll be eventually painting. This will remove most of the oils and should not affect your first coat of primer. If it does, then you need to clean it more then reapply primer afterwards. Hope this helps.

rudy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts