Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOLster, any word on the recessed grills?

hey guys and gal...

Been a while since I posted on the board. Been really busy with school, work, and family. Anyways, just wanted to share a few images of this new grill design that I may pursue into the prototyping stage if I can scrap up enough funds.

The first few pics show the CAD layout and final perspective renderings following afterwards. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Ya, me too! What happened?

Maybe they stopped working on them to come with this facia and grills:?

·
Registered
601 Posts
hi all...

Glad to see there's still some interest in this project. Been extremely swamped with my regular day job not to mention keeping up with AfterShock orders. However, I'm about 80% complete with my CAD file for the recessed grills before I can resubmit for a stereolithography model to be made. I actually found a local place that can produce a 3-d model using a 3d printer and abs material. Unfortunately, their bed size is kinda small so I'll have to cut the model in two halves and reassemble after its produced. This might be the more economical route for me to get this thing going.

I've changed the design from the first images that's been posted in the beginning of the thread. the look is more like the SD-90 concept where it'll be square-edged off and flushed cleanly with the bumper. This will be a 2-part grill where you'll have the option of painting the interior grill insert a different color. This will also potentially lead to different insert designs in the future if this takes off.

But for now, I'm concentrating on finishing up my prototype side skirts and will continue on getting the grills developed by next month.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow! That is very impressive. Are you an industrial designer or doing CAD a hobby of yours?

Also since you made the fog light grilles, I think some people might be interested in a replacement but with mesh taken out...Or am I the only one who thinks this way?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice design, looks like how it should come from the factory.
Thats exactly what Critterman and I said about Norms rear fascia last week after he had his new Solo exhaust installed.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Wow! That is very impressive. Are you an industrial designer or doing CAD a hobby of yours?

Also since you made the fog light grilles, I think some people might be interested in a replacement but with mesh taken out...Or am I the only one who thinks this way?
Yes and yes. I'm a full time head designer for a corporation and do design sol/sky parts on the side as a hobby.

If you keep the inserts out, then you will see the foam block behind the bumper. With the insert, it'll help camoflauge the ugly black foam block from being obvious.

And yes, again, once I get the main grills done, I'll definitely follow up with the same look for the fog light grills. Gotta keep the consistency up front, ya know.:yesnod:

rudy

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Hi Rudy...

I just ran across a vendor of mine that does the 3D printing in ABS.. first time I've come across that. Unfortunately they don't contract out their machine as it's fairly full with their own parts. They did mention that it was the cheaper option for them.. so hopefully the costs will be more inline.

I haven't come across any further information to help with the prototype costs.. but if you run into issues let me know and I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Still can't wait for these! I'd love it if the grills are EASILY removable so that I can pull them off when I was the car and get the bugs out. I tend to kill a lot of bugs when I drive apparently.. and the red of the dead bugs screws up the MEAN paint job!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hi Rudy...

I just ran across a vendor of mine that does the 3D printing in ABS.. first time I've come across that. Unfortunately they don't contract out their machine as it's fairly full with their own parts. They did mention that it was the cheaper option for them.. so hopefully the costs will be more inline.

I haven't come across any further information to help with the prototype costs.. but if you run into issues let me know and I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Still can't wait for these! I'd love it if the grills are EASILY removable so that I can pull them off when I was the car and get the bugs out. I tend to kill a lot of bugs when I drive apparently.. and the red of the dead bugs screws up the MEAN paint job!
hey rlhammon...

Yeah, the place that I'm thinking of having it done is actually an open public workshop that has a 3d printer. Here's the website, if you're curious: TechShop is the SF Bay Area's Only Open-Access Public Workshop -- Welcome

However, they don't allow the public to actually use the printer. They have their trained staff to do that. But, all you have to do is give them an .stl file that will fit within the boundaries of their bed and they will "print" out your part in abs plastic. Like I mentioned earlier, the grill is larger than the bed footprint, so I'll have to split it in half. But, the cost savings may be that much more greater than the previous STL shop I previously got a quote from.

Regarding the removal of the grill inserts, I haven't figured that part out just yet as I still need to confirm fitment of the main outter grill frames to the oem bumper openings. I don't see an issue since I'm working with GM's CAD files to develop these products.

Anyways, thanks again for your help and efforts and since there has been some recent interest in these, I'm going to try to get this project test fitted before the end of the month. I'll post pics when I get there.

rudy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes and yes. I'm a full time head designer for a corporation and do design sol/sky parts on the side as a hobby.

If you keep the inserts out, then you will see the foam block behind the bumper. With the insert, it'll help camoflauge the ugly black foam block from being obvious.

And yes, again, once I get the main grills done, I'll definitely follow up with the same look for the fog light grills. Gotta keep the consistency up front, ya know.:yesnod:

rudy
What school did you go to? I am attending Cal State Long Beach in the fall and I to am an industrial design major. So what work do you do at this corporation? Any advice that you can give in this field of study?

Also good to hear you are doing the fog lights too. So is your package a two piece; one piece is the frame and one piece is the mesh? I think that would add a little variety for people who decide they want the mesh or not.

I can't wait until I can do stuff like that!:cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
love the look of the recessed grilles. hope everything works out would think the sol would look awesome with a pair of those on. it would also fit in more with the pontiac family of vehicles past.

and hello from another industrial CAD designer of 20 years. althought i dont get to do much 3D design at work but have played around with it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
and hello from another industrial CAD designer of 20 years. althought i dont get to do much 3D design at work but have played around with it.
Hmmmmm....well, I have been called a CAD...:lol: :lol: :lol: :leaving:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Look just like the SEMA GXP-R showcar grills which I loved. I'd be interested in these as well.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Looks great!! I could not tell from the designs, any way of doing something similar with the fog lights as well?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Will these have a possibility of hitting aftermarket intercoolers cause they go so deep?
I wouldnt think so...the IC's are pretty far in...are their dimensions on the recessed width.

1 - 20 of 356 Posts