Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a heads up that recessed grills continue to make progress on the Kappaperformance forum. Thanks mainly to member Sol Asylum :thumbs: who has recently created a couple of CAD graphics showing how the recessed grills would look on a 2.4 fascia.

I'd post the photos in this thread but my laptops photo program is currently out of commission, so you'll have to visit the KP forum to look at the graphics, posts 443.
Solstice Recessed Grills

If anyone here can help or make suggestions on how to turn drawings of recessed grills into production of them, feel free to comment on the KP forum thread.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Just wondering if there is a patent or some type of licensing agreement in place as far as replicating these grills .I know when I did the research on the Solbra front ends no one else could legally reproduce them because Wade Linger controlled the rights to the design .I would hate to see a member go through all the trouble of reproducing them only to get slapped with a cease and desist order .

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Better ask uncle sam . . . mother may I ?

Be aware that the foam covering on the bumper under the front bumper cover needs to be cut
in order for these grills to fit into the openings...
Would the highway reg-feds consider that a violation of front end collision standards requirements?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Would the highway reg-feds consider that a violation of front end collision standards requirements?
It may be the Feds have little to say re my violation of manufacturer requirements, but I'm pretty sure my insurance company would before making a front end damage settlement.

Btw, I've returned to the originals after my Rudy-made grills succumbed to a Scottish Terrior at 50 MPH. I think the originals would have survived!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just wondering if there is a patent or some type of licensing agreement in place as far as replicating these grills .I know when I did the research on the Solbra front ends no one else could legally reproduce them because Wade Linger controlled the rights to the design .I would hate to see a member go through all the trouble of reproducing them only to get slapped with a cease and desist order .
I doubt anyone paid the large sum of money to secure the rights for the recessed grill design, and if anyone did it, GM would be the originator of the design with their SD-209 solstice concept.

Not to rehash it here, but the last time there was a solbra discussion, I looked through the US patent, trademark, copyright, etc. databases and nothing came up for Wade Linger, or Solbra, or anything else related to it that I searched for. As far as I can tell, he owns the design as in he owns the CAD files, and that's about it.

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
The standards apply to the manufacturer at the time of sale. I do not believe that they apply to individual owners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts