Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shredded something in my balance system and while I'm in there, I want to replace the entire system. I want to replace the chain, sprockets (don't need the cam sprockets), and guides.

Can anyone recommend a kit? Or a few individual kits (knowing that theres probably not many balancer AND timing kits).

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Are you 100% certain it's the balance system? How many RPMs did you get to before the vibrations? If you got over 6500, chances are it's not just the chains...it could be valves and/or the balancer shafts. The balancer shafts rotate at twice the RPM of the motor and are only good to about 12kRPM before pieces come off....

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would go with cloyes sets or melling.I got both of the cloyes for mine, I would pass on the china super cheep kits.just not worth saving $50 on .

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
So there's only about 3 or 4 suppliers that provide the timing chains/balance chains for our cars now.... So that's Cloyes, Melling, ACDelco and 1 other I can't remember the name of. You can spend the money and go to the dealership and get the ACDelco, or maybe an OE part...but why? Cloyes is just as good. Just don't buy chinese knock-off junk from Amazon that's 1/2 the price of the Cloyes stuff....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts