Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you install aftermarket wheels with thin spokes brake calipers are often being exposed. Brakes get dirty and sometimes don't really look very nice. However you can dress up the calipers with special covers created by MGP. They are inspired by large sport brakes like Brembo and Baer, and they are addressed to drivers who doesn't really want to change factory designed brake components and simply wants to get that stylish look. Caliper covers don't improve the brake performance or something, and work only as a styling component.

MGP® - Pontiac Solstice 2009 Caliper Covers with Pontiac / GXP Engraving

http://www.carid.com/2009-pontiac-solstice-caliper-covers/mgp-caliper-covers-55560873.html

We've found this picture on the Internet, so it is used for the reference only.

These Calipers are 1000% safe on the other hand. Designed to be used on wheels with 17" diameter and larger (this size is needed to accommodate the calipers between the back side of the rim and brake calipers. Manufacturer also claims that they reduce the caliper operating temperature and protects them from dust.

We've found this picture on the Internet, so it is used for the reference only.

- Makes ordinary brake calipers look great;
- Less time and effort than painting with better results;
- Made from 6061-T6 aerospace aluminum;
- Hydraulically formed to fit each caliper;
- Available customized with your choice of color, engraving and bolt color;
- Comes with everything required for an easy installation;
- Backed by a 3-year warranty against manufacturer’s defects;
- Proudly made in the USA;

Also guys, don't forget to check out this MGP Caliper Covers installation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_AW_xwOon8

Would you install a set of those calipers on your Pontiac?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
These Calipers are 1000% safe on the other hand. Designed to be used on wheels with 17" diameter and larger (this size is needed to accommodate the calipers between the back side of the rim and brake calipers. Manufacturer also claims that they reduce the caliper operating temperature and protects them from dust.
Say what?? Putting a "cover" on a brake caliper is going to reduce caliper temperature??

From my Mechanical Engineering studies, we were taught that adding another layer of metal to a hot surface will act as a partial insulator, retaining more heat on the hot surface, UNLESS the cover has high heat removal shapes, like tall fins, which these obviously don't.

To reduce the temperature of the calipers, the covers and calipers would also have to be designed for very good, preferably flat, contact surfaces. Again, not present, at least not on my calipers.

Yogi

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Problem with covers is they look like covers...

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Of course if money is not the question and you are looking for some performance - caliper covers is definitely a wrong product. however some of the drivers are simply looking for some easy to do appearance mods, which is what the caliper covers are. They don't pretend to be Brembo.

As for the heath reduction, I definitely agree with you.

However the heath test video I found on youtube shows a temperature drop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf3nnZTAXcg

What do you think about this video?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hmm not really sure the video proves anything.
It just test the heat of the caliper cover not the actual breaking components underneath. Its not ambient temps that heats up calipers its the friction. You know those turbo blankets they sell, their purpose is to keep the heat in the turbine side and keep ambient under hood temps low. This is probably doing the same thing and degrading braking performance. However as a dress up product I would buy it though. Take them off at the track.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hmm not really sure the video proves anything.
It just test the heat of the caliper cover not the actual breaking components underneath. Its not ambient temps that heats up calipers its the friction. You know those turbo blankets they sell, their purpose is to keep the heat in the turbine side and keep ambient under hood temps low. This is probably doing the same thing and degrading braking performance. However as a dress up product I would buy it though. Take them off at the track.
Very good analysis, Cev93.

Like I said above, they will just be insulators, UNLESS they have some big fins and both flat or both contoured mating surfaces making good contact with the caliper.

Yogi

·
Registered
343 Posts
I spelt braking wrong :/
As a cosmetic product its great and if I cant find cobalt Brembos for mine I will get them and upgrade to race pads and fluid......But marketing as a performance product is :/

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
However as a dress up product I would buy it though. Take them off at the track.
I totally agree on that. It's not a performance product at all.

If anybody's interested, we can work on some good price for forum members.

·
Super Moderator
15,964 Posts
Problem with covers is they look like covers...
I ordered them without the fake machining and lettering then had them painted for my car I like the end result very well

·
Super Moderator
15,964 Posts
Very good analysis, Cev93.

Like I said above, they will just be insulators, UNLESS they have some big fins and both flat or both contoured mating surfaces making good contact with the caliper.

Yogi
While I generally agree with the physics, its also possible that they shape the airflow to increase the local pressure which could contribute some improvement.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I have them on my yellow GXP. They have no adverse effect on performance, are not too expensive, and give the car a nice pop of color. I love mine, but personal tastes differ.

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yes absolutely! You can get a 3% coupon code from any of our sales reps, just call in 800-505-3274 and our guys will provide you with our fresh code (Our coupon codes are valid for 24 hours).

Or if it's more convenient for you, just tell me what which calipers would you like to get, include your make/model/year, zip and email address and we'll email you the discounted quote.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts