Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Red dash in the morning, Hell or take warning

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  SlipSlider 
#1 ·
OK, My present car has the normal dash illumination with white gauges, red needles and red idiot lights. I was driving home from work this morning (predawn) and the red idiot light came on telling me the windshield washer fluid was low. Spotted it right away because it stood out from the predominantly white dash. But on a Solstice (or any Pontiac) does the all red dash cause the idiot lights to be less noticeable? Are they extra bright to stand out from the rest?

This might be important since there's not near the amount of gauges I'd prefer but then a gauge and idiot light combo's always the best.

I know the red lights for night vision is bogus on a car dash 'cuz the first on coming headlight destroys any extra dilation. True night vision takes at least a half hour's exposure to no white light. Know this from sailing off shore at night where a careless cabin door makes it tough on the helmsman.

But I agree that the all red dash looks really cool. I tinted the bulbs in my first car red (an MGA) just for that reason. But then, on that car, the fact that they lit up at all was a source of pride and accomplishment.

#2 ·
DreamerDave said:
OK, My present car has the normal dash illumination with white gauges, red needles and red idiot lights. I was driving home from work this morning (predawn) and the red idiot light came on telling me the windshield washer fluid was low. Spotted it right away because it stood out from the predominantly white dash. But on a Solstice (or any Pontiac) does the all red dash cause the idiot lights to be less noticeable? Are they extra bright to stand out from the rest?

This might be important since there's not near the amount of gauges I'd prefer but then a gauge and idiot light combo's always the best.

I know the red lights for night vision is bogus on a car dash 'cuz the first on coming headlight destroys any extra dilation. True night vision takes at least a half hour's exposure to no white light. Know this from sailing off shore at night where a careless cabin door makes it tough on the helmsman.

But I agree that the all red dash looks really cool. I tinted the bulbs in my first car red (an MGA) just for that reason. But then, on that car, the fact that they lit up at all was a source of pride and accomplishment.

We have finally run out of interesting topics. I knew this day would come.

:lol:

#4 ·
dferkler said:
We have finally run out of interesting topics. I knew this day would come.

:lol:
:glol:

Yeah, we have reached the end of the earth for Solstice related topics!

Seriously DD, I don't think it will be that big of a deal. The red dash lights in most pontiacs tend to be a softer red than what an idiot light would be. So although they are from the same spectrum, the idiot light should show a little darker, and brighter than the dash background lights, making it instantly noticeable.

Besides, if your washer fluid runs empty, you will realize it when you go to use it! :lol:

#5 ·
I can't tell you because I have the HUD/expanded DIC on my 04 Grand Prix. So despite my red/orange guages, most of my messages/warnings come up on the DIC and not on idiot lights.

But I have to say that it is fun some nights to crank up the red/orange guages for effect.

BTW - do the Sol guages max out on ignition and then return to normal after a second? Both my former Grand Am and my current Grand Prix do that.

#10 ·
Dave, my 03 GTP has white gauges by day and red by night, just like the Sol. All warnings are noticeable even outside the DIC and HUD, which I wish the Sol offered, never having to have your eyes leave the road...priceless.

#11 ·
The idoit lights are very noticable. They are in the center part between the Tach and Speedo. Since they are not near any other lights and in a bit of a tunnel, they stand out pretty well.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.