Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GXP
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie lurker.... have an 08 base model and it has an aftermarket polycarb tinted wind deflector. There is so much reflection from it I can't use it - day or night - top up or down. Do all of them suffer this problem?
I just bought an 07 GXP twin to the one I have, now up for sale. I don't want to invest in one again if it's going to have the same issue.

·
Super Moderator
8,437 Posts
I'm a newbie lurker.... have an 08 base model and it has an aftermarket polycarb tinted wind deflector. There is so much reflection from it I can't use it - day or night - top up or down. Do all of them suffer this problem?
I just bought an 07 GXP twin to the one I have, now up for sale. I don't want to invest in one again if it's going to have the same issue.
The thin ones that fit in the trunk are the worst because they flex a lot, but all of them have some reflection.

·
Registered
2007 GXP
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thin ones that fit in the trunk are the worst because they flex a lot, but all of them have some reflection.
This one mounts behind the seats - in front of the silver bar. I can't see anything in the mirror but the double reflection of the Pontiac emblem on the piece between the seats coming from the mirror off the windscreen. ~ OR ~ reflection of the dash board/window. It makes the rear-view mirror useless.

The one on the DDM website says "reduced glare', whatever that means.

·
Super Moderator
8,437 Posts
This one mounts behind the seats - in front of the silver bar. I can't see anything in the mirror but the double reflection of the Pontiac emblem on the piece between the seats coming from the mirror off the windscreen. ~ OR ~ reflection of the dash board/window. It makes the rear-view mirror useless.

The one on the DDM website says "reduced glare', whatever that means.
I moved this discussion to its own thread. A "For-Sale" thread is not the proper place for it.

There are reduced glare polycarbonates available that do exhibit considerably less glare than standard polycarbonate. They are actually called "non-glare", but the "non" part of that is mostly wishful thinking.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I have a windrestrictor brand that is etched with graphics. It does have reflections but my rear view mirror is very much usable. Might have something to do with my height as I'm about 6'2".

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would bet its the tinting that is causing the reflection. I have a clear one and there is very little reflection.

Reactions: granliday

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I have a clear one as well. It does reflect in my mirror,, I would think they all do it. I had a run of the mill one first, then a wind restrictor one second and both types did the same thing

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Try tilting it forward or back it worked for me .Still does it a little?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a clear one as I was worried about reflections with a tinted one. Overall, I really don't notice many reflections with mine. I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
its a reflective surface... just like the back window.
unless you stare in the mirror constantly.... it doesn't bother you.
try looking ahead, where you are driving... and you will be just fine.

get used to it, or take it out, along with your rear window.... geez, some people.

·
Registered
2006 NA Deep 99.9% Stock
91 Posts
I have a clear Windrestrictor brand, no tinting or etching. Yes, there are reflections. It was weird at first, especially at night, but you will get used to it.

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
You can reduce the reflections by tilting the WR at the mount.

I have five of them and swap them out occasionally depending on the event and my mood.

I find that while the standard mounting method works well, after I swap them out a few times, they tend to both reflect and vibrate more which makes the reflections more noticable. As a result I went to "hard mounting" my screens. They are drilled for mounting screws, three on each side and two in the center area. Once mounted using the factory latching tape and screwed into position, they dont vibrate.

It sounds like your issue is exacerbated by the geometry of the screen and your eye line. If you change the angle of the WR even slightly, it can move your eye line out of the direct path of most of the reflected energy from the screen. Try inserting small wedge shaped spacers between the screen and the tulip panel to tilt the screen down slightly. Play with this angle until you get a good result.

In my experience, you can greatly reduce the glare by finding the right mounting angle, while improving the vibration induced reflections by hard mounting. There are pictures of this in the Punisher thread.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine is tinted and etched. It is difficult to see what is behind you, especially at a glance.
Night time=forget it..

·
Registered
2007 GXP
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback (except one) - it was helpful to get a better understanding of the issue from a wider perspective. Glad there were several folks with the same issue to various degree, with different brands. Interesting there is so much variation in experiences with them. Here's my response to the main comments:

I'm 6' and the viewing angle is pretty straight on.
I played with the mounting angle using shims with no great improvement.
Tried rubber and hard mounts at different angles with no improvement.
It's not just 'annoying' - it's impossible to see out the back as I get a 'doubled' reflection from the mirror off the windscreen and back again. Like looking into a mirror with a mirror.
The rear window is tinted and does not have the same reflection issue - day or night. The tinting film may have an anti-reflection feature to it.

Thanks to all. Think I'll pass on mounting one on the GXP. The small oval net diffuser on the yellow car was interesting.

Added: After reflecting on the issue (groan...:rolleyes:)
Decided to try wet block sanding the surface with 2,000 grit paper for finishing paint. Will do it using single pass, same direction, horizontal strokes to see if it breakes up the surface enough to diffuse the light. Got nuth'n to lose!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback (except one) - it was helpful to get a better understanding of the issue from a wider perspective. Glad there were several folks with the same issue to various degree, with different brands. Interesting there is so much variation in experiences with them. Here's my response to the main comments:

I'm 6' and the viewing angle is pretty straight on.
I played with the mounting angle using shims with no great improvement.
Tried rubber and hard mounts at different angles with no improvement.
It's not just 'annoying' - it's impossible to see out the back as I get a 'doubled' reflection from the mirror off the windscreen and back again. Like looking into a mirror with a mirror.
The rear window is tinted and does not have the same reflection issue - day or night. The tinting film may have an anti-reflection feature to it.

Thanks to all. Think I'll pass on mounting one on the GXP. The small oval net diffuser on the yellow car was interesting.

Added: After reflecting on the issue (groan...:rolleyes:)
Decided to try wet block sanding the surface with 2,000 grit paper for finishing paint. Will do it using single pass, same direction, horizontal strokes to see if it breakes up the surface enough to diffuse the light. Got nuth'n to lose!
thanks for REFLECTING on the issue

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
So, late to the party here, but I took mine off after only having it for a few days. I HATED the reflections. It's especially dangerous at night, where oncoming traffic headlamps shine in your eyes from the rearview mirror double reflection.

Added to that, I couldn't tell much difference with buffet reduction, so it had to go.

·
Registered
Looking for GXP
4 Posts
Is there any aftermarket company that makes a mesh, screen or perforated one out of fabric instead of polycarbonate? Of course that may restrict vision....

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Is there any aftermarket company that makes a mesh, screen or perforated one out of fabric instead of polycarbonate? Of course that may restrict vision....
Only one I'm aware of is the GM version and I don't think you're going to find one unless it's used.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts