Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
removed #50 cooling fan relay in underhood fuse box to remove a bit of trash. When I plugged it back in, I realized that it will plug in right side up or upside down and I don't know if I have it oriented correctly. The enclosed pics show the relay from the passenger side view. I have it plugged in with the writing on the relay facing me and the little indent on the relay in the upper left corner. would like to know if this is correct before starting the car. (should have paid attention when I took it out)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
well... I took a photo of my 2008 gxp fuse box...

I was standing between the passenger door and passenger front tire when I took the photo
( our 2 photos do not seem to match up... )

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
I took these photos from my 2009 NA car.

I was standing between the passenger door and passenger front tire when I took the photos

( geez.... why does my iphone do this... my feet are at the edge that has the row of little fuses. Why did the gxp photo show correctly, and these did not ?? grrr... )

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
we do not even have the same brand name on the fuses...

·
Super Moderator
7,351 Posts
In general, any relay that can be plugged in more than one way will work in either orientation.To confirm that, look at the bottom of the relay for numbers molded into the base. If 85 and 86 are on diagonally opposite corners and 30 and 87 are on the other two, the very worst that can happen is that it will not work.

If that is what you have, start the engine and turn on the AC if the fan starts you are good. If it doesn't, reverse the relay.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In general, any relay that can be plugged in more than one way will work in either orientation.To confirm that, look at the bottom of the relay for numbers molded into the base. If 85 and 86 are on diagonally opposite corners and 30 and 87 are on the other two, the very worst that can happen is that it will not work.

If that is what you have, start the engine and turn on the AC if the fan starts you are good. If it doesn't, reverse the relay.
you nailed it! The numbers you mentioned are diagonally opposite. started the car, no fan, started the AC, fan came on. Many thanks, next time I'll pay attention when I remove a relay.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
we do not even have the same brand name on the fuses...
You're right. All my relays are TYCO. Also, the gxp does not have a #50 relay. That confused me too when I was trying to find the right schematic. Mine is an NA.
As for these differences, some years back the then CEO of Mitsubishi motors made a statement that always stuck with me. "Americans can build a machine that goes to the moon, a machine that goes to the bottom of the deepest ocean. They can build one of anything. They just never learned how to reliably build ten million of anything."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts