Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well is it true that the release date has been pushed back to september?

If so, no solstice for me. It's to far after my 17th birthday :(

Well I guess that narrows my choice to GTP or 05' V6 Stang.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry. I'd rather have the Solstice over either of those two, but that's me of course.

·
Registered
284 Posts
WDIV TV, channel 4 in Detroit, just aired that the Solstice release is pushed back to September due to problems with the top and bumpers. :( "Summer Solstice" won't be until next year.....

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Rainz said:

According to the article posted in the news section, it does appear to be pushed back. However, only GM knows for sure if they are really off schedule or not.

If you cannot wait to get a car, just get a hold-me-over in the mean time. Buy something that is a late model used vehicle where the depreciation has already hit from a private individual. Then 6 months to a year later you should be able to sell it for just about what you bought it for and get a Solstice at that time. However, if you go new, your going to take a big hit if you make a switch down the road.

If you get a GTP, will you be killing youself when you see everyone else in Solstices in 6 months? I would!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rainz said:

I dont see you on "the TimeStamp List", however, if you are and "Pending"...Hang on there......Iam wait-listed with a 2:32 time-stamp (we think). I will trade you slots...... :) :) :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
WINTER SOLSTICE - October

Just got a call from my Dealer. Late September or October for delivery. :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Production starts May 31

Just spoke with Pontiac and the start of production has been pushed back 2 weeks to May 31. The first batch are the "test" cars to make sure everything works OK and then they will begin for real.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
gvoeller said:
Just spoke with Pontiac and the start of production has been pushed back 2 weeks to May 31. The first batch are the "test" cars to make sure everything works OK and then they will begin for real.
That's what dealers had been told but then GM started resetting expectations for 4th qtr, possibly as a CYA or just to under-promise in case of issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fformula88 said:
According to the article posted in the news section, it does appear to be pushed back. However, only GM knows for sure if they are really off schedule or not.

If you cannot wait to get a car, just get a hold-me-over in the mean time. Buy something that is a late model used vehicle where the depreciation has already hit from a private individual. Then 6 months to a year later you should be able to sell it for just about what you bought it for and get a Solstice at that time. However, if you go new, your going to take a big hit if you make a switch down the road.

If you get a GTP, will you be killing youself when you see everyone else in Solstices in 6 months? I would!
Well first, it's not my decision. For my 17th birthday I'm getting a brand new car. Family tradition. I would consider waiting, my parents really don't care though... Besides, there aren't many GTP's around here, and I won't be kicking myself. I'll be kicking the crap out of solstices. I can make a GTP faster for far less, but the handling won't be there. :( And no vert, and probably not as many looks :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
gvoeller said:
what happens to these "test cars" that come off the line?

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
nyca said:
what happens to these "test cars" that come off the line?
Depending on which build it is they can be scrapped, or put into extended life durability testing (cars head up to Canada for cold weather testing, or Arizona for hot weather testing). Some might make their way around to exec's, or others to drive... but they won't be sold to the public.

·
Registered
403 Posts
some get donated to high schools for use in shop class. They also have a stipulation that they are destroyed when the school no longer uses them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am getting the same report. It will actually be better for top down cruises especially in Dallas. It is too hot in the summer to really put the top down except at night.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GTOJ said:
I am getting the same report. It will actually be better for top down cruises especially in Dallas. It is too hot in the summer to really put the top down except at night.
Thanks for the added confirmation GTOJ! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you're concerned about the delay, call GM and cancel your EOP 1000. Give the folks on the waiting list who really want the car a chance at getting it.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Rainz said:
Well first, it's not my decision. For my 17th birthday I'm getting a brand new car. Family tradition.
Wow, ain't that grand. Any reason that the car has to arrive by your 17th birthday, like you physically can't get to school or work or some other place more important than the mall? If the car is being paid for by your parents anyway, and it is a gift, and it is the car you really want, might it not be worth it to place the order now and wait a little while until delivery?

For a sixteen year old, waiting for anything probably just seems stupid, but for us "older" generations, "deferred gratification" is a way of life. Perhaps you'll actually appreciate your car more if you have to sacrifice a little first to get it. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The other question is has he placed an order yet for 1st allocation or EOP? If not I can almost guarantee he won't get it by September ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
You know, I grew up overseas most of my life, and every time I run across a kid about to be handed a $20,000 car it just reminds me that we live on one helluva continent... In the rest of the world many 16 year olds have never even been in a car... let alone be given one. Nothing against the recipient, though - it's the culture we live in and I hope you enjoy the privilage no matter what vehicle you choose. I just think we should all count ourselves lucky in that in our world, life stress = late Solstice delivery... Man, do we have it good. Okay, here endeth the sermon. :rant: I shall now return to pouting over the delays in building my Solstice... :leaving:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
dengel said:
Wow, ain't that grand. Any reason that the car has to arrive by your 17th birthday, like you physically can't get to school or work or some other place more important than the mall? If the car is being paid for by your parents anyway, and it is a gift, and it is the car you really want, might it not be worth it to place the order now and wait a little while until delivery?

For a sixteen year old, waiting for anything probably just seems stupid, but for us "older" generations, "deferred gratification" is a way of life. Perhaps you'll actually appreciate your car more if you have to sacrifice a little first to get it. ;)
Ouch...
I wasn't going to say it, but that's what I was thinking. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts