Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We discussed this a bit ago but I have some new questions.

I found one of my excess instrument clusters and took it apart to expose the board. As you can see in the picture, the C114 connector is what provides input to the cluster including the DIC display. It has eight connectors. I am musing is that a OBD port connector? I could potentially connect directly to the socket connectors in parallel with the existing 16 wire connector and have a functioning DIC display. Then I can figure out a way to mount the board so only the display shows.

Do any of you wizards know what the connector is so I can procure one?

Do you think this can be a standard OBD connection?

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having never looked closely at this board I am making some assumptions. It would probably not be the same format as an OBD, but instead it's very possible it is a diagnostic connector of some sort. It is probably used for updating the firmware on the microcontroller used on the board, as with other diagnostic functions when the board was built. There very well might be some serial data present there which would be the same as what the DIC uses, but you would have to probably decode that to re-display on an auxiliary or outboard DIC.

·
Super Moderator
5,829 Posts
It is not an OBD connector. The normal outlets for electrical connectors do not have any stock, and the GM outlets are unavailable due to the strike. It should be possible to parallel the board, but that makes for an awfully bulky "thing" to have to place.

I looked at this when you first mentioned it, and I think the solution is to cut the DIC off of the main board and move it by extending the leads. There may be a distance limitation, but that will probably require testing to confirm.

Where in the car do you want to put it? Specifically, how far from its current location?

·
Super Moderator
15,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John
the brute force way is to just fabricate a cable and run the display in parallel. I have not looked at potential locations yet but it would be nice to have it where it can be seen while driving without negative impact on maintaining situational awareness.

Conceivably one could find a place to hide it in the dash and have the display show through the dash.

Once you have a display working in parallel then its a packaging problem.

Theoretically a cheap video camera and small display would allow mounting the board out of sight and putting the display where its easy to see.

Step one is to get it working.
Step two is figuring out how to mount it and provide a display.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
15,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at alternatives, the Ultragauge apparently gives access to the following:
Open/Closed Loop Emissions Status
Percent Engine Load
Engine coolant temperature (°F)
Engine coolant temperature (°C)
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) PSI
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)(kPa)
RPM
MPH
KPH
Ignition Timing Advance
Intake Air Temperature (°F)
Intake Air Temperature (°C)
Mass Air Flow Sensor output in grams/sec
Absolute Throttle Position Percentage
Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage
Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage
ECM Run Time
Distance traveled with Check Engine Light on (miles)
Distance traveled with Check Engine Light on (km)
Commanded Evaporative purge Percent
Fuel Level Percent (Auto fuel fill-up detection also suppported)
Number of warm-ups Since Check Engine Light cleared
Distance traveled since Check Engine Light cleared (miles)
Distance traveled since Check Engine Light cleared (km)
Evaporative System Vapor Pressure (PSI)
Evaporative System Vapor Pressure (Pa)
Barometric Pressure (inHg)
Barometric Pressure (kPa)
Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 1 Temperature (°F)
Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 1 Temperature (°C)
Battery Voltage
Relative Throttle Position Percentage
Ambient Air Temperature (°F)
Ambient Air Temperature (°C)
Absolute Throttle Position Percentage
Accelerator Position 1 Percentage
Accelerator Position 2 Percentage
Commanded Throttle Position Percentage
Boost Pressure, (Relative Pressure) (PSI)
Boost Pressure, (Relative Pressure) (kPa)
Brake Horsepower 1
Brake Kilowatts 1
Torque 1 (ft lbs)
Torque 1 (N.m)
Brake Horsepower 2
Brake Kilowatts 2
Torque 2 (ft lbs)
Torque 2 (N.m)
Volumetric Efficiency
UG Battery voltage
Mass Air Flow 2, Calibrated/Calculated
Instantaneous MPG
Instantaneous Gallons/Hour (GPH)
Instantaneous KPL
Instantaneous Liters/Hour
Instantaneous L/100km
Distance to Empty(DTE)(miles)
Distance to Empty(DTE)(km)
Time to Empty (TTE)
Fuel Level (gallons)
Fuel Level (liters)
Oil Distance(miles)
Oil Distance(km)
Service Distance(miles)
Service Distance(km)
General Purpose
Average MPH
Average MPG
Average Gallon/Hour (GPH)
Fuel Used (gallons)
Run Time
Distance (miles)
Average KPL
Average L/100km
Average KPH
Average Liters/Hour
Fuel Used (liters)
Distance (km)
TRIP GAUGES
Run Time
Average MPH
Average MPG
Fuel Used Gallons
Average Gallon Per Hour (GPH)
UltraGauge Internal Temperature (°F)
Average KPH
Average KPL
Average L/100km
Liters Used
Average Liters/Hour
Distance (km)
UltraGauge Internal Temperature (°C)
SHORT TRIP GAUGES
Run Time
Average MPG
Fuel Used (gallons)
Average gallons/hour
Average MPH
Distance (miles)
Average KPH
Average KPL
Average L/100km
Liters Used
Average Liters/Hour
Distance (km)

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
The Ultra Gauge, or another similar product (there are many, some of which fit in a gauge pod) sounds like a good solution since you've already got a ton of gadgets in your interior.

John's suggestion of making a cable and extending it is pretty easy to implement. You could potentially find another dot matrix display that might be easier to find a place for - there aren't a lot of different interface protocols for those things - or you could remove / relocate the airbag warning piece on the dash, widen the opening and put the DIC screen there. It'd probably be easier to read there than in the stock location anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
it's very possible it is a diagnostic connector of some sort. It is probably used for updating the firmware on the microcontroller used on the board, as with other diagnostic functions when the board was built.
Most (but certainly not all) production boards like this leave the programming and diagnostic ports off. The pads for the connector would still be there, but the connectors themselves are frequently left off to reduce costs.

I assume this connector isn't actually connected to a harness when the board is installed?

·
Super Moderator
5,829 Posts
Having never looked closely at this board I am making some assumptions. It would probably not be the same format as an OBD, but instead it's very possible it is a diagnostic connector of some sort. It is probably used for updating the firmware on the microcontroller used on the board, as with other diagnostic functions when the board was built. There very well might be some serial data present there which would be the same as what the DIC uses, but you would have to probably decode that to re-display on an auxiliary or outboard DIC.
Making assumptions without sufficient information, especially without even examining the thing the assumptions are being made about, is a good way to confuse and derail the discussion.

Most (but certainly not all) production boards like this leave the programming and diagnostic ports off. The pads for the connector would still be there, but the connectors themselves are frequently left off to reduce costs.

I assume this connector isn't actually connected to a harness when the board is installed?
The connector in question is shown in one of RtE's pictures. It is not a diagnostic or programming connector, it is the connector that connects the IPC to the vehicle harness. It has pins for the low-speed LAN, power, ground, and control of some of the indicator lights.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
The Ultra Gauge, or another similar product (there are many, some of which fit in a gauge pod) sounds like a good solution
The Ultragauge has pros and cons. The cons are that it's not very pretty. The pros are it's VERY legible - even in sunlight (it has an optically-coated AR screen to reduce reflection) and it's highly configurable, with up to 8 readings on a screen (4 large readouts, or 2 large & 4 small, or 8 small)and at least 3 screens that you can cycle through at will. There's an updated color version, but I cannot say whether that has the optical AR coating or not.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Is there data that the DIC will display that the UltraGauge won't?
The only things I can think of are the TPMS readings - my UG does not show those. Though my firmware is several years old... they update it periodically and that might be covered by now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts