Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
10 years ago this October I bought my 2008 Sky. Since then, no damage, no dings, just 2 little rock chips, I don’t even drive it in the rain… and then I’m sitting at a west bound light a mile from my home waiting for the left turn light to come on to turn south to go home, there was a truck heading north in the left turn lane to go west. Northbound traffic has the green light and they are moving freely. The truck in the northbound left turn lane decides she doesn’t want to go west (left), but east and turns right across 4 lanes of traffic. Just then a northbound van t-bones the truck flipping it over and onto my front end and hood. God, I was so pi$$ed off. Who in their right mind turns right from the left turn lane? Worse yet, the woman driving had three children in the truck all under 4, one was merely 18 months old and she puts their lives in danger by doing such a stupid stunt!

The hood was pushed back and I was unable to fully open the driver’s door. When I finally got home, I was unable to open the hood. I forced it open though to see if there was any damage. Thankfully I didn’t see anything amiss. The engine maintained 187° so at least the cooling system didn’t take any damage. I think (hope) it was all the hood and bumper (fingers crossed). The plastic inner fender well was rubbing on the tire, but no other issues I could see.

Here are some pictures.

So... anyone know of a excellent body shop in Orange County or south LA county.. the more expensive the better... this woman's insurance company is going to pay for her phucking stupidity.. BIG time!

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Glad you're okay, and the kids weren't hurt! Good luck with the repairs. Might be time for some of Norm's magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I know how you feel SkyPilot, I just had my pretty much pristine Solstice bent up too. The girl driving the SUV clipped my front end when switching lanes and said she never saw me. I'm amazed from your description of the accident and seeing the truck, on it's freakin' roof, that no one was hurt in your accident. All things considered your car doesn't look too bad and hopefully a good body shop will get it looking as good as new.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you're okay, and the kids weren't hurt! Good luck with the repairs. Might be time for some of Norm's magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have Norm's fenders, and I don't know how many new hoods and fascias are still available, so might just work our for the best.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know how you feel SkyPilot, I just had my pretty much pristine Solstice bent up too. The girl driving the SUV clipped my front end when switching lanes and said she never saw me. I'm amazed from your description of the accident and seeing the truck, on it's freakin' roof, that no one was hurt in your accident. All things considered your car doesn't look too bad and hopefully a good body shop will get it looking as good as new.
Thanks. All in all, it looks like the F150 rolled on top of my front end, so I'm hoping it's all cosmetic.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
SkyPilot,

Sad to hear about the Sky, I know how much you love it. Glad to hear you were not hurt and pray the young kids are all safe.

I have a very good body shop, just a little out of your circle, I can promise you an excellent job and good pricing. The shop is Pass Auto Center, call 951 849 7878 and ask for John, he is the owner. Tell him the guy with the Black and Yellow Sky told you to call him. If you PM me I will give you my name and phone number and can call them to let them know about the car. They have worked on all three of mine.

Robo has used them for mechanical work. They are good people and will treat you fairly, which is most important.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Another 5 or 6 feet and you might not have been posting this!! Glad you're okay. Cars can be fixed. Unfortunately though, as far as the other driver is concerned, you can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
256 Posts
At least she had insurance. My original Solstice was totaled by a drug dealer on a run to deliver his product driving a stolen Ram 4x4 with a suspended license. He hit my left front and spun me 120 degrees. That car was not part of the ignition switch recall; however, the impact ejected the key from the ignition. I found it on the passenger side floor board. My car was drivable; however, the frame was twisted.
If that wasn't good enough, my wife picked me up at the accident scene in her Solstice. On the way home, she got rear ended at a stop light. Fortunately, it was such a light tap that it didn't leave a mark.
Not a happy day.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Glad no one was hurt. Sadly I saw the "opposite" of this just this morning. Driver coming off of the freeway is just cruising along on the merge lane then whips his blinker on and crosses 4 lanes of traffic to make a left at the upcoming intersection. At least he wasn't texting.

I think . . .

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
And the title of your thread made me think you were going with "I'm in Love with My Car".

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In retrospect, my car stopped her truck from rolling onto its side. This is good because the driver apparently wasn’t wearing her seat belt and when I looked out, her legs were partially sticking out the driver’s side window, so had the truck continued rotating, her legs could have sustained a lot of damage. Maybe that's what she needed as a wake-up call to drive more safely and responsibly.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
After reading all of these stories, I'm thinking a roll cage might be a better idea than a bar.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
After reading all of these stories, I'm thinking a roll cage might be a better idea than a bar.
As opposed to a licensing authority that removes driving privileges for idiots?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is OK, fingers crossed your Sky will be back to good as new in a few weeks.

Unfortunatly she probably is the same driver that pulled the U-turn across 6 lanes (3 in both directions and a turn lane) in front of me last week. She managed to pull that one off with only scaring everyone around her. That woman had at least 1 kid in the truck when she did it.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
That is a bummer but it does look fixable. Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, and you experienced one of my great fears. It's times like this where I'm reminded that it doesn't matter how far I park my car away from others so as not to have too worry about a door ding. or not getting too close too the car in front of me, or not driving it during crummy weather, along w/polishing and waxing, and more polishing and waxing. All that time and effort that we put into our little treasures can be wiped out in a second. Now I can accept an accident when it is indeed an accident, but when it involves plain old selfish stupidity, that's another story. Again, sorry about the accident.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not any better today. I guess if I had ran a red light, rolled through a stop sign, was speeding, or some other stupid driving stunt, I could accept it more easily, but I was just sitting there minding my own business waiting for the light to turn... and whack...

Here's another angle of the truck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts