Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to try to sound elitist but remember the roadster personna and image is that of a roadcar. I ordered as little as possible on my Solstice as far as options.
*Anti-Lock Brakes
*Limited Slip Differential
*"Convience package" (I had to order this package to get the factory fog lights)
*Floor-mats

I read many on this site talking about I-pods, upgraded sound systems, power this and that, remote control power doo-dads etc. If these are your thing than more "power" to you. Personally I don't need power locks or windows or mirrors, you can reach across the car to do this and that's just one more thing that can go wrong or need service and just more wiring, motors and electronics. I don't want a mind shattering 200 piece speaker tweeter wurlitzer juke box in my vehicle. Having owner previous "road"sters I am keeping in mind that it is indeed about the road, the performance and the drive. A quick nimble car with a stiff responsive ride and a little background music or sound is all that I need and please, please let there be at least a little road noise. Roadster means road! Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I wanted convience for my car, everything with the exception of my sunroof is manual in my 97 Sunfire. Having remote entry does have other advantages, when in the dark and your fumbling to open your door, you might stratch your paint by accident (I know I have, not a big scratch, but its noticeable when waxing).

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I suppose everyone has different ideas of what makes it a roadster. I ordered mine without ABS, to make the driving experience all the more visceral. At the same time, I ordered all of the conveniences, too. I did leave it at the base-level stereo, though. I don't so much care for killer sound anymore - even though I spent a few years as a car audio installer. Besides, you'll never get purist-quality sound in a car, and ESPECIALLY not a convertible.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Well, since this will be my daily driver, and probably my only car for the next 4 years (college) (once it's paid off, I will get a practical car too)... I wanted everything, because I want to have convinience and a good time.

This roadster has to double as a commuter for me... and even though I'm getting most options, it's STILL a roadster.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Cooler King said:
To me a roadster is about freedom, including freedom of choice. Different strokes for different folks.
:agree: :patriot:

·
Registered
16 Posts
OZ40 said:
Not to try to sound elitist but remember the roadster personna and image is that of a roadcar. I ordered as little as possible on my Solstice as far as options.
*Anti-Lock Brakes
*"Convience package" (I had to order this package to get the factory fog lights)
*Floor-mats

I read many on this site talking about I-pods, upgraded sound systems, power this and that, remote control power doo-dads etc. If these are your thing than more "power" to you. Personally I don't need power locks or windows or mirrors, you can reach across the car to do this and that's just one more thing that can go wrong or need service and just more wiring, motors and electronics. I don't want a mind shattering 200 piece speaker tweeter wurlitzer juke box in my vehicle. Having owner previous "road"sters I am keeping in mind that it is indeed about the road, the performance and the drive. A quick nimble car with a stiff responsive ride and a little background music or sound is all that I need and please, please let there be at least a little road noise. Roadster means road! Enjoy!!!
I agree with your attitude about roadsters. Crank up windows is all the progress I need over curtains and plastic sliders (showing my age). Yesterday, I saw a Solstice up close for the first time. It was at Northwood University International Auto Show in Midland, MI. It was a black beauty w/ two tone interior and painted wheels (which looked alright). Very shiny, nice fit and finish. It drew a crowd right away - after a delayed arrival, as it had to be driven up from Detroit. Don't think ther've been any at Saginaw, MI area dealers. However, while at show, I was handed a business card from Jim Waldron Pontiac in Davison, MI (Flint area) and was told that they have a couple Solstice's
Overall, the the Solstice is nice for the price. But, two things detract from its roadster image - lack of gauges (volt meter, oil pressure, water temp. - even my old Ford pickup has these) and disappointing engine/exhaust tones (lacks character - dull, not sweet). Also, it needs storage space - especially interior. A traditional drop-top (sans clamshell) can have space behind the seats and a trunk to "boot" (pardon the pun). Perhaps future production changes can provide more interior storage while retaining the good-looking clamshell/headrest design On the plus side, its' ordering options and packages make sense. And if the Solstice continues popular, after-market accessories may abound (including for storage - e.g. luggage racks, pouches). Anyway, it's nice to have a fresh looking, priced for the masses, American-made roadster available.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
3X Dude said:
I must be evil cause i ordered everything i could..... :devil:
I left off the monsoon and xm, and of course when I ordered the chrome wheels and onstar where not available. I do not think this makes me a turncoat from roadsterdom. Things like AC have become standard on sub $10k econoboxes. Trade-in valuse deduct if no AC. We do have a manual top, as does the uppercrust Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder (complete with AFBTS!!!) as first seen at Frankfurt Auto Show this year and a pic this month in MPH. As far as gauges, true rally cars in the vintage age had only one gauge in front of driver, the tach, turned slightly so that redline was straight up as other gauges were all placed in front of the onboard navigator.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
DIC has all the "vital gauges." And you don't need to be analyzing them anyway, because it will flash and get your attention when the engine temp is too high, when your oil (or other fluid) is low, when your oil needs replacing, your battery voltage is off... etc...

...anything you would need gauges for, the DIC will let you know when something is amiss.

But damn, I REALLY like fuel-economy indecators that they put in Mercedes and BMWs.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Options = RESALE VALUE!

OZ40 said:
Personally I don't need power locks or windows or mirrors, you can reach across the car to do this and that's just one more thing that can go wrong or need service and just more wiring, motors and electronics. I don't want a mind shattering 200 piece speaker tweeter wurlitzer juke box in my vehicle.
Uh, guess this guy doesn't understand the word "RESALE VALUE". When it's time to get the Solstice GXP 250hp "ROADSTER", wouldn't it be nice to know you ordered all the options to make it easier to sell, to get the "REAL ROADSTER GXP 250hp". The next buyer doesn't want to be reaching over all the time to unlock the doors and rolling down the windows. Please, that gets old and tiresome real soon. This is 2005, not 1955. But more power to you if non-options work for you. :cool:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
OZ40 said:
*Anti-Lock Brakes
*Floor-mats

Hey OZ40

It must be the age thing, because I stayed away from the power options also.
I intend on keeping my Sol. for along time. I`m 49 years old, and I know how much hassle it can be when the power options fail.

I like rolling down the windows. But I did get AIR, just in case it gets too hot next summer. I have had about a dozen new cars, and I always went without air. My 02 Stratus SXT was the first car I bought with AIR. I not only want it as a back up, But if I ever had to sell, it would help with the resale value.

I got the Convience package, for the same reason, the fog lights.

Got the red, cause I must be in a midlife crisis. haha.

Also got the ebony cloth seats. I like cloth much better. My Sol. was just over $21 grand. I just hope it gets here b4 winter. I hate to put her up for the winter, without a few weeks of cruisin" Mitch :cool:

·
Registered
145 Posts
To each his own. This car is replacing a 93' Chevy Full size blazer. I live in SoCal and occasionally visit Nevada and Arizona. You gotta be NUTZ not to have AC (either that or a glutton for punishment). AC is also a must in the SE. We got the oven here, they have the sauna over there. Also got the full monsoon speaker system and cd changer. Didn't get XM because I already have it. I'll just use the car kit. Gotta have a good stereo for when your parked in the world's largest parking lot (also known as the LA freeway system). Gotta have something to blast to take your mind of the fact that your in a hot ass sports car and have been doing 10mph for the past hour :(. ABS because my wife is driving this sucker too (Some ones gotta drive my sorry drunk butt home)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ouch!!!!

Hey, tuck that vein back into your neck people. I was stating MY preferences, not dictating what everyone's opinion ought to be. One bone to pick though, options equal resale value may or may not be true so I will say this: I am purchasing the first year Solstice because I like the design and I believe it is the start of a great nameplate. The first year model always stays the priciest over the course of the years. I don't give a hoot about resale value in this case because I plan on keeping mine as a third vehicle toy for a looooong time. I know I will eventually get my money out of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.