Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used my remote starter almost every day for the last six years (A/C in summer, heater in winter). I dread the thought of living without it in my new Solstice, but dread ordering an auto even more!

Does anyone know of a good aftermarket remote starter with a shift interlock that can be installed on a vehicle with a manual? I'll have to try to always remember to put it in nuetral and set the brake, but it's better than a cold car.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Most brands have special kit for manual but you usually won't find it on the shelf for DIY. I can't comment yet on the kits I got everyone for Xmas since I have to get an extra bypass module for the anti anti-theft for starting sequence.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
achieftain said:
Most brands have special kit for manual but you usually won't find it on the shelf for DIY. I can't comment yet on the kits I got everyone for Xmas since I have to get an extra bypass module for the anti anti-theft for starting sequence.
Awww, you shouldn't have. I didn't get you anything :(

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Awww, you shouldn't have. I didn't get you anything :(
I didn't mean everyone everyone. :( Just those close enough to claim on taxes. :lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Achieftan,

Your avatar is the first time I have seen the Sol in white. It may just be my new favorite.

On the remote starter...how does the kit get past the safety switch that forces the clutch to be depressed when starting the car?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
SCCA HP Racer said:
Achieftan,

Your avatar is the first time I have seen the Sol in white. It may just be my new favorite.

On the remote starter...how does the kit get past the safety switch that forces the clutch to be depressed when starting the car?
I believe the module bypasses the clutch switch but not the neutral switch.. Similar to bypassing the PassKey anti-theft. They guarantee that car cannot be driven without key in ignition. BTW installation includes mounting an on-off switch for remote start. When you get out of car if you don't arm it for a later remote start it won't. So you have to remember ahead od time that you want to use the remote.

The white is from the online ordering guide the link to which is found elswhere. You can go into the color section, click on the color and the car comes up. Then simply save it to your memory of choice.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
That is a little scary to watch your car take off all by itself. Maybe some sticks don't have a neutral safety switch and only rely on the clutch. A loose stick could vibrate itself into gear as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
remote start

most remote starts made for a manual trans have what is called an "exiting procedure" where you have to hit a button on the key fob they the brake then put the car in neutral the the hand brake........... stuff like that. sorry to "invade" all of you nice people's forum and gathering but i am having trouble myself finding a nice remote start for my Honda. i know i know it's a Honda. but i do LOVE the Solstice. there is one company i have installed called UltraStart. they have nice equipment and they are quite reliable. i just don't care for the key fob. after all, shouldn't we like the product we spend our hard earned money on? you can find the UltraStart brand at
Ultrastarters.com if anybody knows of another brand let me know please. and i will be doing the same for all of you.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
NytLyt said:
I have used my remote starter almost every day for the last six years (A/C in summer, heater in winter). I dread the thought of living without it in my new Solstice, but dread ordering an auto even more!

Does anyone know of a good aftermarket remote starter with a shift interlock that can be installed on a vehicle with a manual? I'll have to try to always remember to put it in nuetral and set the brake, but it's better than a cold car.

Thanks.
my solution is a garage.....sorry couldnt resist.......:leaving:

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Wow, I know I've brought some threads back from the dead before, but this one was 9 and a half months since the last post!

Would one of those remote starters work on the Solstice, since you have to depress the clutch to start it? This is the first manual that I've had to depress the clutch first.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Most aftermarket remote starters have a clutch override and a safety catch for when the car is in gear.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Nut, maybe you can help here but... eh, now that I think about it it's not possible. I would love to have a remote start feature and have it INTEGRATED with my keyfob.

I've thought about it countless times now, I can press the unlock button to unlock the car... or press and hold to unlock AND start it. That would be the sweetest thing ever. But I don't think it would be possible, not to do it and still use the same remote... or would it?

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
2006 Grand Prix has remote start option--integrated fob

dori-san said:
I would love to have a remote start feature and have it INTEGRATED with my key fob.
The 2006 Grand Prix I rented over the holiday break when we were back east had a remote start button on the key fob. It was integrated into the upper edge of the fob. The fob was about the same size as the one on the Solstice.

NOTE: The following is another Crimson Avenger wild speculation...

The real question is whether or not the fob with the extra remote start button is code & frequency compatible with the Solstice computer system. If it is, then there's also a remote possibility that either:
  • the existing computer system may have an unused output line for the remote start (very unlikely)
  • since the system is somewhat modular, it might be possible to wire in the remote start modules. (even more unlikely)
Far more likely, any competent after market system should also have options to generate the codes for the remote lock, unlock, trunk, and panic buttons and implement an integrated fob.

Again, this is all just wild speculation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts