Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody thinking about installing a remote starter on their Solstice? I have thought about the idea, but I have a lot of time to decide

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine will always be in the garage so it won't get so bitter cold in the winter. However I might do a RS anyway.

Shop around, a lot of people won't do it on a manual trans car. I had to find a place that would do it on my Jeep. they made me sign a waiver stating that I was aware I had to leave it in neutral (duh) and that they would not be responsible for damage if I somehow forgot and started it while in gear.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The only reasons I can think of why I would ever want to remote start a vehicle are to warm it up or cool it off. The cool it off I can see - that
would begin immediately. The warm it up business just takes way too long.
And I would NEVER put it on a manual (no problem for me since I will never
own another manual) , thinking I had remembered to put in neutral, especially
since when I owned a manual , I always put it in gear and never used
the parking brake (MGB's parking brakes were unreliable, at best).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would a manual trasmission car even start while in gear? Seems like there's no way in hell the starter could generate enough torque to move the entire vehicle fast enough to truly be started.
Maybe it would have enough 'umpf' to inch your car along though, if the ebrake was off. Then you could use your remote starter as a remote control for your car! Just push the button and amaze your friends and neighbors as they watch your car start driving very, very, slowly away....... LOL!

:willy:

·
Registered
182 Posts
No, it won't start in gear, if in gear the clutch has to be engaged

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Zbad1 said:
Would a manual trasmission car even start while in gear? Seems like there's no way in hell the starter could generate enough torque to move the entire vehicle fast enough to truly be started.
Maybe it would have enough 'umpf' to inch your car along though, if the ebrake was off. Then you could use your remote starter as a remote control for your car! Just push the button and amaze your friends and neighbors as they watch your car start driving very, very, slowly away....... LOL!

:willy:
Au contraire. :blush: I've done it. Used to install alarms. Fortunately it was my own car, but it did, in fact drive itsself over a curb, and into a toyota truck.... then it died.... then it tried to start itsself again!

Edit:

Oh yeah - the e-brake was set, too. I bypassed the clutch safety switch with a SPDT relay, and wired the ground side of the coil to the e-brake warning light switch, and the hot side through a magnetic switch I placed under the gearshift lever. It was a normally-open switch that only closed when the magnet was directly over it (car in neutral). Unbeknownst to me, the magnet fell off of the shift lever, and right onto the switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Au contraire. :blush: I've done it. Used to install alarms. Fortunately it was my own car, but it did, in fact drive itsself over a curb, and into a toyota truck.... then it died.... then it tried to start itsself again!

Edit:

Oh yeah - the e-brake was set, too. I bypassed the clutch safety switch with a SPDT relay, and wired the ground side of the coil to the e-brake warning light switch, and the hot side through a magnetic switch I placed under the gearshift lever. It was a normally-open switch that only closed when the magnet was directly over it (car in neutral). Unbeknownst to me, the magnet fell off of the shift lever, and right onto the switch.
LOL! That's a great story! I'm amazed at how strong a starter is to be able to do that! How fast was your truck moving? That must have been a sight to see!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Remote Starters and Lawn Mowers....

How about a remote starter on my lawn mower while waiting for my Solstice.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Zbad1 said:
LOL! That's a great story! I'm amazed at how strong a starter is to be able to do that! How fast was your truck moving? That must have been a sight to see!

It was in a parking lot at a Jack in the Box restaurant. The truck was also parked. My car was a '95 Saturn SC2. Being made of tupperware, the car did no damage to the truck, and not even much damage to itsself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used to use the starter on my '92 Toyota 4x4 to save me from trying to push it across streets after running out of gas (I did that a lot)... The Toyota comes with a button that allows you to cancel the cluch start. I've used that startert to move it a half mile or more to the next gas station. :willy:

SCISOLSTICE said:
Get real.............
And who peed in your Cheerios?

A lot of kids do that out here in CA...just for fun...a lot of motorcycles too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you theartfuldodger!

I was just asking becuase it would be nice to cool it down on those hot days and warm it up on those cold days. I think it is a neat little option

1 - 13 of 13 Posts