Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know how soon the after market Removable hardtop will be available?
I really don't like both the exterior and interior appearance of the softtop. It makes the car looks cheap.
I believe one hardtop should fix both Solstice or Sky. That may attract after market kits manuacturers to consider. And Tint black top may look good on all color. $$$ (See Covette Tint glass hardtop) $$$
If no hardtop will be availabe soon, I may dropoff from the Sky waiting list and get back to Lotus Elise.
Roland Chen

·
Registered
403 Posts
I they don't have an aftermarket one soon after delivery, there will be a GM version for the 2007 model year (we think, based on guesses, etc).

If I can't get one for my Solstice within 2 or 3 years, I guess I'll have to get a Carerra GT instead . . . lol.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
There have been no companies that have come forward and said they're making a hard top. I'm guessing a hard top is alos not a very easy item to make, expecially to make correctly. Seeing how no-one but GM has their hands on a Solstice too it's not going to be until companies can get their hands on them to really start too. Seeing as how pretty much all of the first 4 month allocations are taken up it's not like vendors can just go get one to work on. It'll have to be someone who buys one, or someone who's willing to let a company work on thier car.

·
5,600 Posts
"Calling Mr. SEMA. Mr. SEMA to the grey phone, puhleeaase."

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'm really interested in the possibility of a "coupe conversion" hardtop that would basically allow you to replace the top and trunk lid with one big hardtop that would give you a hatchback-size trunk and the look of a coupe.
In fact, I'm tempted to try and find a hot-rod shop that might custom-make one. Don't think I'd want to see the price tag though.

Here's one of the threads we discussed it in ...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2689

·
Registered
251 Posts
Would GM allow a 3rd party vendor possession of a pre-prod SOL, so they can begin development on after market products, or would these vendors have to wait til saleable SOLs. are produced like everybody else??

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Were I a manufacturer, I would be watching, but not talking...

SOL MIO said:
Would GM allow a 3rd party vendor possession of a pre-prod SOL, so they can begin development on after market products, or would these vendors have to wait til saleable SOLs. are produced like everybody else??
Anyone who's been around the forum here for a while knows that the design of the rubber window sealing and the "baby arms" have gone through several revisions. So, were I a manufacturer and a member of SEMA, I'd be quietly waiting until Pontiac settles on the final production top and seal design.

Besides, GM has kept this one under pretty tight wraps. Chuck Mallette is an exception because his parts have to do with the stuff under the skin. That's been more or less stable for a while. It's the body and top that have to be matched by any aftermarket top, so I'd be waiting, were I a manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Besides, GM has kept this one under pretty tight wraps. Chuck Mallette is an exception because his parts have to do with the stuff under the skin. That's been more or less stable for a while. It's the body and top that have to be matched by any aftermarket top, so I'd be waiting, were I a manufacturer.
Actually we have yet to see any proof that he actually has a car in his possesion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts