Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing around with photoshop and I removed the 3 rear emblems. Looks pretty cool, don't ya think? If it's possible, I will probably remove at least the text emblems and perhaps leave the Pontiac emblem. We'll see.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Should be pretty easy to do with dental floss and a heat gun.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
But, isn't the name Solstice one of the coolest car names?

2KWK4U said:
Should be pretty easy to do with dental floss and a heat gun.
Almost seems a shame to remove them, because the name Solstice is probably one of the coolest names for a car that I've ever heard.

Tastes vary, but for me, I'll be proud of two things:
  1. It's named Solstice.
  2. It's a Pontiac.
The reason that I put #2 on that list is that I was a Pontiac fan in the late 60's, 70's, and in the 80's when I was hotrodding a '75 Pontiac Catalina. But in the 90's, I kind of drifted away from Pontiac, and when I started looking for a new car in 1998, I didn't see anything I liked. So, I'll be quite proud to have my car wear the Pontiac name and logo that I loved from my youth on a car that I've really always wanted to drive.

It was my Stepfather's MG TD that really turned me on to curvy roadsters (Yea, I know--only the fenders were curvy, but it was still a roadster and just great fun to ride around in.) By the way, he used to check the fuel level with a willow stick. "My! how the times, they have-a changed!" :cool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't mind the rear emblems myself. The only one that looks a little out of place is the middle pontiac emblem. But to each his own. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Removing the emblems and making the car unidentifiable is something people do to Honda Civics. Not, something like this.

They mod out their crappy car and take all identifying marks because they are ashamed to admit that they couldn't buy a good car, and can only afford to make cheap cosmetic mods, in an attempt make the car look cool, but in the end it still is a crappy car, because its got DICK under the hood.

Display your car with pride. Don't hide it. Wear the pontiac name, and be proud. You don't see people removing the name Corvette, Trans Am, or Mustang from their car. Of course not, because they are proud that they bought a Corvette, Trans Am, or Mustang.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I like the emblems and will leave them. I know some people like the clean look without them, and I won't hold that against them. However, it just makes the car look naked to me.

If I were to remove badging, it may be the GM badges that are being added. It really depends on whether they fit in with the rest of the car and badging, or whether they stick out as something that was just tacked on.

I just hope people are not planning to remove them because they are embarrassed to drive a "Pontiac." If they are, maybe they should have bought something else to begin with.

·
Registered
299 Posts
They only thing i will remove is the dealership emblem.

Speaking of which does anyone know a good way to remove the various different types of dealership emblems (glued on, sticker, decal, painted)?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Liam1694u said:
They only thing i will remove is the dealership emblem.

Speaking of which does anyone know a good way to remove the various different types of dealership emblems (glued on, sticker, decal, painted)?
My best advice for dealer emblems is to ask them not to affix one before you take delivery. I assume you will be ordering your Sol, so they should be able to comply before putting one on.

I have not really seen any painted on dealer emblems, and I do not think they drill holes for them anymore either. Generally, they are a plastic emblem stuck on with double sided tape, stick on vynil letters, or a harder stick on plastic/vynal tag.

For the double sided tape, you can “cut” them emblem off with some dental floss. Then you can remove the remaining tape with a couple things. I generally soak it in Nu Finish wax, and lightly rub it off with a rag. The wax dissolves the stickyness of the tape, and then it comes off easily. You could also use Goo Gone.

For vynil, I find they just peal off easily enough. I just get a finger nail underneath the corner and easily pull it off. Just be careful not to scratch the finish with your nail, and take care in pulling it off.

I have had trouble with the larger, thicker vinyl/plastic tag like decals they put on. They are really sticky! Putting some heat on them may help (not too hot!, just like a hair dryer or similar) to loosen them up a little, then carefully pull them away from the paint.

No matter what you do, just take care because the finish can easily be marred. Best bet is to get them to leave it off in the first place!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I find a few drops of 'goo gone' on the 2-sided tape behind the emblems will have them falling off in a day or two.

I'm dechroming mine as much as possible, but not because I'm ashamed of the name or anything, I just like the clean look, and have as far back as my 57 chevy. I may even shave the door handles.

But to each his own.

oops, beat to the punch by f88

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
I find a few drops of 'goo gone' on the 2-sided tape behind the emblems will have them falling off in a day or two.

I'm dechroming mine as much as possible, but not because I'm ashamed of the name or anything, I just like the clean look, and have as far back as my 57 chevy. I may even shave the door handles.

But to each his own.

oops, beat to the punch by f88
:lol: You gotta type faster! ;)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
And the sooner you take them off the better. Even vinyl stickers are a lot harder to remove after they've heated up and cooled down repeatedly. And the glue on foam tape gets rock hard after a year.

Regarding the removal of names from 'Vettes, Mustangs, etc. Go to any custom car show and the first thing stripped is the emblems. Even Elennor had several Shelby badges removed.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I really dislike the two Pontiac symbols on either side of the car on the front quarter panels. But that's mainly because I despise the fake air outlets they reside above. I'm working on something to deal with them though since I dislike them so much.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
I really dislike the two Pontiac symbols on either side of the car on the front quarter panels. But that's mainly because I despise the fake air outlets they reside above. I'm working on something to deal with them though since I dislike them so much.
Bondo? :devil:

Thats funny you don't like them. I think they are a nice touch. Its too bad GM couldn't keep them somewhat functional. If memory serves, the cutouts on the concept allowed you to grab the clamshell hood to raise it.

Ok, I'll admit it. I alread bought the following decal for my Solstice...

DOHC VTEC GS-R Type-R SiR

:jester:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Almost seems a shame to remove them, because the name Solstice is probably one of the coolest names for a car that I've ever heard.

Tastes vary, but for me, I'll be proud of two things:
  1. It's named Solstice.
  2. It's a Pontiac.
Hmm ... so completely different from my point of view. I never liked Pontiac or GM cars in general and never thought I'd actually own one, but the looks of this car alone made me want to give them a shot. Also, the name is one of the few things I was disappointed with in this car. "Solstice" just doesn't conjure up great "car" images in my mind. For instance, when you hear the name Viper, the snake comes to mind ... you think sleek or potent. And Mustang makes you think wild, powerful, and untamed. When I think "solstice" (without thinking of the car) it just doesn't bring an emotional response or any great "car" adjectives. Yes, I know the meaning of the solstice and the anthropological significance and read your thread on the subject, but I just don't see the connection to a car. Obviously, that's not a requirement for a car name, but I guess I always liked them better that way for something like a roadster. Don't take offense at that. I certainly respect your opinion ... but your post made me wonder how others feel about the name. (Again, set aside your feelings about the car and think strictly about the word "solstice" as a name for a car.)

By the way, don't get me wrong ... I love the car and I don't think I'll remove the badging because I love the car despite my name or brand preferences and would be proud to own it. However, the emblems do slightly detract from the smooth rear curves, so I could understand the desire to get rid of them ... I did like the pic without them.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
SlySol said:
... your post made me wonder how others feel about the name. (Again, set aside your feelings about the car and think strictly about the word "solstice" as a name for a car.)
Well, the summer solstice is the longest day of the year ---> makes me think of a long, hot, sunny day, with myself cruising along with the top down, wind blowing through my hair, shades on, tunes playin' on the stereo...

I always thought it was a great name for a roadster, makes me want to be out on the road with the top down. :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts