Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,421 Posts
I still recommend the use of anti-seize on the sparkplugs. I don't have any difficulty getting them sufficiently tight and in my opinion the risk of damaging the threads removing them is much greater than having a problem by over torqueing them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, last week I purchased a 2006 Solstice with 55,000 miles. I love it!! I was thinking that, just because of the age, I would change the spark plugs. But after reading all of the horror stories in this string (and others) about seized plugs and fragile coil connectors I don't know now.

I'm a pretty good DIY'er for basic stuff, been doing spark plugs for years, but don't want to mess this up. Maybe I'll just leave them until Spring and have my mechanic change them. By the way, just to wade into the never-ending debate, I would never change any spark plug without using anti-seize. The key is to not over-use it; just a dab is all that is needed. Many people use too much.

One question: If I ever do decide to change the plugs myself, is it necessary to break the connector to the coil and if so, what is the proper way to so?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
So, last week I purchased a 2006 Solstice with 55,000 miles. I love it!! I was thinking that, just because of the age, I would change the spark plugs. But after reading all of the horror stories in this string (and others) about seized plugs and fragile coil connectors I don't know now.

I'm a pretty good DIY'er for basic stuff, been doing spark plugs for years, but don't want to mess this up. Maybe I'll just leave them until Spring and have my mechanic change them. By the way, just to wade into the never-ending debate, I would never change any spark plug without using anti-seize. The key is to not over-use it; just a dab is all that is needed. Many people use too much.

One question: If I ever do decide to change the plugs myself, is it necessary to break the connector to the coil and if so, what is the proper way to so?

Thanks.
All you have to do is remove the 10mm (i think) screw from each coil pack, unplug the coil packs from the ignition harness, and pull them out. I always use anti seize as well. Just be careful not the get any on face of the plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for your reply. What is the proper procedure for unplugging the coil pack (i.e., do you squeeze the sides of the connector, the top, somewhere else)?

Silly question, I know, but I don't want to break it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Thank you for your reply. What is the proper procedure for unplugging the coil pack (i.e., do you squeeze the sides of the connector, the top, somewhere else)?

Silly question, I know, but I don't want to break it.

Thanks.
This is the way I do it. one finger under the plug, thumb over the top of the plug, squeeze and pull. You will see a small ribbed area on top of the plug which must be depressed to remove the plug.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts