Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wheels are looking rather dull, have tried polishing but they just are not coming out real well. Has anyone removed the clear from there factory polished wheel? If so how did you do it? How were the results?

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I take you have polished wheels... Usual symptoms of clear coat failure are corrosion tracks over the wheels. If that hasn't happened I would strenuously suggest that you DON'T TRY TO REMOVE THE CLEARCOAT. Once you do that you'll have nothing but trouble unless/until you get them professionally re-coated.

Maybe you can take some pictures to show us?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Shoot for the price of aftermarket wheels you mid as well look into them as refinishing your wheels might be close to a new set.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
What are you using to polish them? Hopefully not metal polish. The clear coat is essentially paint with no pigment in it, so you should be using a paint polish..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am using paint polish, my thought is to remove the clear and polish them like I do my Vette which has a set of american racing wheels that are not cleared. When the two are parked together you can really tell the difference.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I have a few spots where the clear has been scraped off, apparently scrubbed against a curb or something. Anything to "spot" treat those or do I need to have them completely re-cleared? If a re-coating is required, does anyone have any sources to get that done or do you just go to a local paint/body shop?

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Bump.

Having painted the rotors and calipers, I've been cleaning the inside of the stock wheels. Using polish for the most part, but it's becoming apparent that the inside of the wheels were also clear-coated. It really doesn't look the same once I have the crud cleaned off of the troubled areas compared to the "normal" finish. I really don't want to strip the whole insides of the wheels and try to re-coat and screw it up.

Anybody else fight this battle?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah I did. Mine were stained with some kind of crud and I did not realize they were painted silver as it looked like aluminum (mine are chrome outside GXP wheels). So I used a harsh wheel cleaner and the silver (and I assume clear) started to come up. I ended up repainting the silver with high temp engine paint. There is a link somewhere on here for "painting inside of wheels" or something. If I have time later I'll post it. It wasn't too bad.

GODROD
Solo Dio

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Sand, prime, paint, clear coat

I did the same thing with my old 325 BMW. Clean the wheels well. Sand with emory cloth. Spray two coats of high heat primer;I used grey. Spray three coats of the high heat aluminum. Finish it off with a couple coats of clear. While they will not look as good as new, they will look great from five feet away and they will last you at least two years. In addition, if you do scrape a curb or something, you can just hit it again with the high heat paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts