Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Solstice Base Convertible
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife & I recently purchased a 2007 Solstice convertible the problem is it had a front license plate holder that was attached with some type of glue adhesive i removed most of what appeared to be like a 2-sided type tape but it left a residual trace on the bumper. I tried to heat with a heat gun but was worried about burning the paint also tried Acetone but no luck any suggestions.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Goo Gone, paper towels, fingernails and patience. Soak residue with the glue remover and let it be for a few minutes. Wipe, scrape carefully and wipe again. Don't skimp on the paper towels. Repeat as necessary until it is all gone. :geek:

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Goo gone and believe it or not a good old fashioned eraser.
Gentle gentle and patience.
I got one from my junk drawer after someone recommended it.
Be cautious and use very little pressure.
Just did this on my 2008 when I picked it up earlier this year.
That two sides tape had dried for 12+ years.
Hydrate it with the goo gone and gently rub with the eraser.
Took me hours but it worked and left no marks.
Also a bunch of towels to catch the drips from the goo gone.
Fingernails if you get impatient but be careful with even that.
Only picture I have after it was done.
Sorry I don’t have a lower shot. But it was just as glossy and scratch free..
3193BB92-D8E4-4F67-9FAE-03B7BA7087A8.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,553 Posts
you are lucky that there was no rivet holding the frame in place!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
AND - don't forget to wash, wax or seal the paint under it when you're done!

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
goo gone, acetone, mineral spirits, etc. They all work but the main ingredient is patience and don't rub too hard. ABOVE ALL ELSE! Be sure you sneak in a picture of yourself in the reflection when you are done. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
My tried and true method for removing stuff like this . I get a small old towel (hand towel) fold it over a few times ,dampen (not soak ) one side with the mineral spirits it will not harm the paint ,get a couple of pieces of duct tape and tape the towel firmly over the glue spot ,let it sit for an hour or so ,remove the towel and use the plastic razor blade to get any of the rest of the residue off , wash it all off I use Dawn dish soap and then give it a good coat of wax . I would never use acetone on a painted surface it removes paint !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your comments i have the goo gone just got to pick up some plastic razor blades/scrappers and give it a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sting Ya ; I used your method and got most of the heavy stuff off. My nephew works in a body shop going there on Friday he says they have a product that will remove it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Sting Ya ; I used your method and got most of the heavy stuff off. My nephew works in a body shop going there on Friday he says they have a product that will remove it. Thanks
Usually one treatment should do it if not repeat and let it sit a bit longer maybe an hour and a half ,after you have removed the towel and used the plastic razor blade to get the glue off take the towel and rub over the area the nubs (think microfiber towel ) on the towel should get any remaining stuff off ,I don't waste my time with paper towels when doing stuff like this they tend to fall apart and if you have any glue residue it just sticks to the towel . Good Luck !

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife & I recently purchased a 2007 Solstice convertible the problem is it had a front license plate holder that was attached with some type of glue adhesive i removed most of what appeared to be like a 2-sided type tape but it left a residual trace on the bumper. I tried to heat with a heat gun but was worried about burning the paint also tried Acetone but no luck any suggestions.
Use your wife’s hair blow dryer and melt that sticky off of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"" UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POST"
My nephew was able to get the remants of the 2 sided tape off the bumper.He used a wax & grease remover first then took some polishing compound with a small 3 inch battery powered buffer and removed the remaining traces of it. can't see any sign it was ever there. Thanks all for your suggestions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts