Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well < got my first ride in one yesterday from a person I met right here on this forum!!!!!! Amazing he lives 5 minutes from me. (Hi Rich!!) In any event while I was looking over the car I thought it would be a nice look to remove the rear badges, anyone do it yet? Are they glued on? or rivet? Looks to me like glue. I bet people driving behind one with the badges off will go crazy trying to figure what it is..................Gary

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Badges are adhered. The best method is using a hairdryer on low to get some heat (gentle heat!!! if you can't put your hand on it, you're too hot...) into the badge.

Eventually, it will wiggle a bit, then you can get it off - just gently pull with your fingers/fingernails. If you can't get behind the warm emblem with your finger/fingernails, use a bit of dental floss or fishing line to get behind it, use a gentle sawing motion and keep some tension on the emblem.

A bit of adhesive may be left behind. You can remove this with isopropyl alcohol, which works well. It helps if you can manually get most of the goo off with your fingers. Also WD40 works. Some have used Goo Gone or Goof Off or even Skin So Soft...

I've acutally used judicious amounts of [Dunh Dunh DAHHHHNNNNNN!!!] brake cleaner *GASP*. Works wonders, no adverse effects, my nickname for it is "carwash in a can" :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I like using Nu Finish wax to get that emblem residue off the paint. Works as good as anything else I have tried, and at least it is designed to be kind to your paint!

Brake fluid? :eek: Have you tried a grinding wheel too? I bet that would get it off quick! :glol: :jester:

·
Registered
796 Posts
turbomangt said:
Well < got my first ride in one yesterday from a person I met right here on this forum!!!!!! Amazing he lives 5 minutes from me. (Hi Rich!!) In any event while I was looking over the car I thought it would be a nice look to remove the rear badges, anyone do it yet? Are they glued on? or rivet? Looks to me like glue. I bet people driving behind one with the badges off will go crazy trying to figure what it is..................Gary

Hi Gary, Glad you enjoyed the car. I'm still debating if i want the badges on
or off. Hate to mess with the originality of the car, but it would be fun to
keep people guessing. Talk to you soon about the towels. Rich :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
getting them emblems off

Fishing line or a guitar string will make it easier. Just heat up the emblem some with a hair dryer. Then use the line to get under the emblem. Do not rub against the paint pull against the emblem. you will need to clean off the glue with some cleaner but be careful and test it first. i've used wd40 for this but you must test it.
I do this with my motorcycles and has worked fine for me. JMHO

·
Registered
312 Posts
Solstice w/o Badges

if you go to the "Search" function in the menu above, you can search for emblem removal...there has been several threads about it.

I used the Non-hairdryer (since I don't own one) approach....dental floss, fingernails and isopropyl alcohol. I also touched it up with a claybar/detailer to smooth out the paint....

I live on gravel so a faint "shadow" of "solstice" and "pontiac" were still visible when the car was dusty, even after the emblems were gone...the clay bar took care of it, then I waxed it...here's a pic of my rear end!

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28816401998.jpg&s=x10

RadRiv

·
Registered
142 Posts
Really cleans it up, I like!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rich, I understand your desire to keep the car "original" and I don't want to influence you in anyway. This is only my opinion and what I plan on doing to my TURBO Solstice!!!! :willy: It was nice meeting you and I LOVE your car. I find it weird that we are on a global forum and we live 5 minutes away. Gary

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
RadRiv said: "here's a pic of my rear end!"

No comment necessary here! :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That pic took awhile to open up but man it was worth it. LOOKS FAN-TAS-TIC really cleans up the rear end. did you try to remove the Pontiac emblem in the middle of the car? just curious. Gary :agree:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
So, is this removing the name of the car thing just for looks ... or are you embarassed that it's an American car???

·
Registered
414 Posts
The badges stay on! :) When was there an American car that was this cool looking and got this much attention for the money. Part of the fun is seeing the look on peoples faces when they realize it is a Pontiac :cool:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
oregon solstice said:
The badges stay on! :) When was there an American car that was this cool looking and got this much attention for the money. Part of the fun is seeing the look on peoples faces when they realize it is a Pontiac :cool:
:agree: ... TOTALLY and EMPHATICALLY!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Out of curiosity. If this were a leased car, you'd get in some damage issues when returning it without the emblems, and say without the warning stickers on the blinds?

Or are these both things that can be re-applied before lease turn-in?

Or would most leasers just decide to buy after 3 years anyway.

·
Registered
288 Posts
oregon solstice said:
I agree that I enjoy that people know it's a Pontiac, but this car has mor logos than a dealership!! ;)

I could do without having a Pontiac logo every 5 inches, but for now I don't plan on removing any.

Flagg

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Flagg said:
I could do without having a Pontiac logo every 5 inches, but for now I don't plan on removing any.

Oh come on now. Lets not exaggerate.

I think that the badging on the car was done very well. The GM badge is the only item on the car that does not fit the style of the vehicle. I will most certainly be removing them when mine comes in.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
dealernut said:
Oh come on now. Lets not exaggerate.

I think that the badging on the car was done very well. The GM badge is the only item on the car that does not fit the style of the vehicle. I will most certainly be removing them when mine comes in.
:agree:
One on each side, and the front and the back. I actually thought it was very conservative because they could have had Solstice written out in the front and on the sides.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm assuming that removing these emblems and the caution stickers on the sun blinds counts as "damage" beyond regular wear and tear for leasers, correct? So are the re-applicable?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts