Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,136 Posts
and after you get it properly hot and off the car be sure to have somethen to put it in...and not your hand unless your wearing gloves.and then cool the shifter with wet paper towel or somethen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I got my DDM short throw shifter and went to install it over the weekend. Until it snapped my allen wrench. I went and bought another and tried adding heat to it today with a lighter, still no luck and didnt want to snap another wrench. Anyone have any tips to get it loose other than heat?

I have seen a few videos on YouTube that make it look so incredibly easy which is very frustrating.
I used a soldering gun pressed against the screw and it came out easy

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Not quite true. It will melt styrene plastics, like ABS and polystyrene. It won't touch HPDEs, Polyethylenes, TPEs, Polycarbonates, etc.
And nylons, acetal (POM), and PPS, and PEEK and PEI, etc.

But to kg's point, (and yours) there is a LOT of ABS in most car interiors so you need to be careful if you're using acetone.

"Solstice Brulee"? Intriguing name for a dish, just not in my garage!

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,769 Posts
I am pretty sure it messes up PP plastics as well. It may not eat through it but it sure does make the surface of it soft and gooey if left to sit on the surface long enough.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
After waiting out the rain the last few days, I can say the butane torch idea worked! It still took a while to get it heated enough, but it finally started to turn and I was extremely happy.

Thank you all for your input, and anyone that runs into this issue, at least there is an up to date thread for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I got my DDM short throw shifter and went to install it over the weekend. Until it snapped my allen wrench. I went and bought another and tried adding heat to it today with a lighter, still no luck and didnt want to snap another wrench. Anyone have any tips to get it loose other than heat?

I have seen a few videos on YouTube that make it look so incredibly easy which is very frustrating.
I used a propane torch to heat the allen screw, worked great.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts