Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic scratch protectors under the two buttresses on the trunk have many scratches and are discolored on my 2006 Solstice. Has anyone removed them? If so what did you use to remove them? Is there a replacement that can be installed or do they need to be replaced?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I used to install vinyl on vehicles. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat it up; peel it slowly, in one piece if you can. There may be a sweet spot where all the glue comes off with the decal; otherwise you will need to use a paint-friendly solvent. Use your fingernails or something that won't scratch your paint. WD40 might work. BEFORE you remove it, trace the original decals on paper and take them to a vinyl lettering / sign shop to reproduce, or buy the vinyl and do it yourself. I install it with a mist of water and a squeegee. You might be adept at doing it without the water, but it usually helps with the air bubbles.

·
Registered
234 Posts
This subject has been discussed many times on the forum and you can probably find more information with a search.

I took my 2006 to a reputable body shop to have mine removed. They used a paint-friendly solvent (like Paul said) and a buffer to remove them. Generally speaking, there is no need to replace them as the top itself doesn't actually make contact with the trunk deck, but last I checked I found replacement protectors were still commercially available.

·
Super Moderator
16,271 Posts
Our experience has been good when leaving the car in direct sunlight with the buttresses up exposing the film. Once the glue is warmed up it will generally peel right off. Take your time. I have used a rag and solvent like alcohol to remove any residue

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Our experience has been good when leaving the car in direct sunlight with the buttresses up exposing the film. Once the glue is warmed up it will generally peel right off. Take your time. I have used a rag and solvent like alcohol to remove any residue
Were you drinking the alcohol? Or applying it? 🍺🤡🍺

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I used "Goof Off" to clean up the residue after pulling the film off and have not replaced the film. Sometimes a little cooking oil on a paper towel will remove label residue and can be tried on the film residue.

·
Super Moderator
16,271 Posts
Were you drinking the alcohol? Or applying it? 🍺🤡🍺
Good point. Denatured for the car. Fermented to maintain my prescious bodily fluids

·
Registered
10 Posts
My passenger side buttress ring has fallen off the deck lid how was it attached ? seems like a rubber type paste or double sided tape ? Thanks

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Attached with double sided 3M tape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts