Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a couple of scuff marks on an outside mirror of the pickup truck. ("Nudged" the mailbox when picking up mail last week.) Thought I'd try some mild polish on it so grabbed an old bottle of 3M Finess It II and a microfiber towel. As I'd hoped, the marks polished right out of the lens (turn signal) as well as the plastic trim below it.

So I thought I'd try it on the plastic grill between the hood and windshield as I could see some residue / leftover wax. Cleaned it up nicely.

So I moved on to the Solstice rear valance. I thought I had been careful to not get any wax on it but over time the chalky appearance began to increase. (I didn't mask it off - my bad.)

If you look at the top edge, left of center frame is untouched, right of center - for about a foot - was lightly buffed for about 20-30 seconds with the compound and a microfiber towel. You'll still see some of the wax residue, particularly close to the paint, but it's looking promising.

I'll be working with it some more over the next several days and see if this is going to go as well as I hope. Looks like any light polish would be very effective.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
I've used a Mr. Clean Eraser to remove excess wax/polish from those areas. FYI

·
Registered
728 Posts
oogle is your friend. There are literally "hundreds" of suggestions ideas and products. My suggestion? Is get a "system" that does not require a lot of work. There are some products that will just "melts" the old, new dried wax/polish off while at the same time restores the original luster.. Do your homework and it'll same lotsa time.. I have used several products and so far I have not really found what I'm looking for that is effective.. :(

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&...+remove+wax/polish+from+plastic+trim+on+a+car

Although this guys product looks promising..

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Hey Chicken, I use Simple Green. Takes it right off. Make sure you rinse immediately though because it will dry out the plastic. Another one is Super Clean, but it’s REALLY strong…..like use rubber gloves strong or it will dry out your hands! I use it to strip my models or if I have an oil leak and I want to get rid of the oil buildup and there’s no rubber around it. It’s great if the shop doesn’t rinse the bottom of your oil pan after an oil change. Spray it on, hose it right off! Or you can use Dawn dish washing soap. It’s a little milder then the 2 I mentioned above and will take a little effort to scrub it off…..where the other 2 take little to no effort to get it off. Just be careful to not get any of the above on your paint!!!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hey Chicken, I use Simple Green. Takes it right off. Make sure you rinse immediately though because it will dry out the plastic. Another one is Super Clean, but it’s REALLY strong…..like use rubber gloves strong or it will dry out your hands! I use it to strip my models or if I have an oil leak and I want to get rid of the oil buildup and there’s no rubber around it. It’s great if the shop doesn’t rinse the bottom of your oil pan after an oil change. Spray it on, hose it right off! Or you can use Dawn dish washing soap. It’s a little milder then the 2 I mentioned above and will take a little effort to scrub it off…..where the other 2 take little to no effort to get it off. Just be careful to not get any of the above on your paint!!!!
And there in lies the problem, yea you'll get the wax of the trim alright, BUT at the same time your stripping off the wax on your paint.... therefore re-waxing and regretting getting wax back on the trim...:willy: It can be a vicious cycle I know, I played the game...sucks really. My final solution was to take the time and use blue tape to cover trim...lotsa extra work but great when all you have to do is peel off the tape and you are done.. NO trim work..:)

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
What takes wax off the car's body when you wash the car? :dunno:
Dish washing soap... :yesnod:
That's your answer...... :thumbs:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Pig Spit...

...yes, that's it's name.

It is used in the Harley Davidson community to restore black parts to black and is great for cleaning up wax off black plastic. You can get some at your local Harley dealer or any motorcycle shop. For areas like that near paint (as it will strip wax) spray it on a cloth then apply to the area. You can also directly spray it on surfaces and wipe the excess for areas where you are not worried about getting it on waxed paint. It will get rid of the wax build up and return the plastic to a deep black. I use it on all my black plastic parts like the area in front of the windshield, rear valance, hoses and wiring harnesses under the hood, etc. Just don't use it on your tires...the stuff makes whatever you apply it to very slick.

It will probably also make the inside surfaces of that honeycomb grill look brand new too.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't looked, but that honeycomb piece will probably snap off, right? I'll probably take it off and clean the bejesus outta it using many of the suggestions above. (Thanks again, community!)

When I put it back on I will make sure I don't ever get lazy again and not tape it off before waxing. That old "ounce of prevention" thing . . .

·
Registered
353 Posts
Are you talking about the entire rear valance? No, that has a number of screws to get it off IIRC. At least you don't have a reverse light in it like we Sky owners do...

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
I've used automotive wax and grease remover to remove dried wax on the lower exhaust valance.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you talking about the entire rear valance? No, that has a number of screws to get it off IIRC. At least you don't have a reverse light in it like we Sky owners do...
No - not the entire valance, just the honeycomb "grille" on it.

And I suppose everything on the car can be "snapped" off - probably not the best choice of words. "Detached", maybe?:lol:

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,734 Posts
No - not the entire valance, just the honeycomb "grille" on it.

And I suppose everything on the car can be "snapped" off - probably not the best choice of words. "Detached", maybe?:lol:
No, the rear valance is all one piece. And besides, the wax residue is on the upper edge of the valance, not in the honeycomb.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Mr. Clean magic eraser. Works everywhere wax does not belong.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Convertible top cleaner and conditioner would be the first thing I'd try. I usually drop my top when I wax.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My bad - I was considering the entire rear body panel as the "valance".

Soup - thanks for the link - exactly what I was looking for.

sir - lighter fluid is an effective way to clean fabric. I would definitely recommend Robo's approach also, especially conditioner after cleaning.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And I kinda feel like a dip-wad because I've always promoted the magic eraser for bug removal / scum removal on chrome. Why the hell wouldn't I try it on plastic to remove the wax?

I'm such a dink sometimes.

Thanks for the insight and help everyone!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts