Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turbo heat shield/shroud on my 09 GXP has lost whatever meat of the metal held it in place, and has been rattling up a storm for the past few days. I've been contemplating a temporary fix using a washer to hold the metal in place, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with doing a more permanent repair on this piece. I've also seen a few for sale threads advertising aftermarket replacements, but none of the manufacturers seem to carry that particular part any longer. If anyone knows where I can source an aftermarket or OEM replacement, I'd definitely prefer that repair option.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I tried to polish my heat shield with mixed results, so I am going to have my local sheet metal shop make one for me out of polished SS, like the ones MBRP used to sell. I have a couple pics of MBRP's heat shield if you are interested. I also have their engineering drawing.

Don

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can also get a polished heat shield from WERKS. It is the same as the stock shield only polished. I prefer the MBRP style though.

Don

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Could you possible post the engineering drawing for us here please Don? For a fellow Canadian? ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
How to repair heat shield:

Step 1, remove 10mm bolts
Step 2, remove heat shield
Step 3, throw heat shield in the trash
Step 4, carry on with the rest of your day

It's basically useless anyway.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sly Bob:

I will post the engineering drawing, just as soon as I figure out how to do it. Maybe you could send me some how to tips please.

Thanks, Don

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
How to repair heat shield:

Step 1, remove 10mm bolts
Step 2, remove heat shield
Step 3, throw heat shield in the trash
Step 4, carry on with the rest of your day

It's basically useless anyway.
I considered doing this after I installed my Solo HFC, but being new to turbos I wasn't sure if it is a good idea. I just googled for an answer and off a Subaru forum I read that heat shields keep the hot side hot (exhaust) and the cold side colder (intake and intercooler). Apparently if you don't have a heat shield you could potentially stop at a red light and then "heatsoak" the intercooler therefore having diminished performance once the light turns green and you press down on the gas pedal, and perhaps this is more important during the summer when temps are up as opposed to the winter. Again, I'm new to turbo's so it's possible that what I read and then shared with you just happens to work on Subaru's but the theory there sounds pretty solid to myself. I'm going to continue researching this both on this forum as well as on the internet.

Does anyone know if there's "better" heat shields than factory in respect to performance? Perhaps a turbo blanket?

Thanks!!

EDIT
A few moments researching and the below comments I've found off various different threads appealed to me:

"Definitly want to get a aftermarket shield for the new sky. My current cars underhood temps went down drastically with the slightly quicker spool time when using a blanket over using the factory shield."

"Back in the day, one member actually measured the temperature inside the left and right fenders. That resulted in a lengthy discussion about under hood heat and whats good or bad. One good outcome of that was Norm made the vented fenders that will allow a lot of heat to flow out through the fenders.

If you are really concerned, take a look at Norms vented fenders and his functional hoods. He has a version that pulls high pressure air in through the front and other versions that extract air from under the hood. And the look great. "

"I did have a Hann turbo heat shield and have since changed that over to a DEI turbo blanket noticeable difference "

"TURBO BLANKET,....good or bad?? Not only does it help keep the under hood temps down, it helps keep heat energy IN the turbine."

"TURBO BLANKET,....good or bad?? Does it do more damage to the turbo itself??? Seeing as how the blanket is keeping all that heat trapped??? Answer was simply "No"

So after 15 minutes of researching it APPEARS that one could gain lower underhood temps with a heat shield (vs no heat shield) or turbo blanket (vs oem heat shield) which to me translates into less heatsoak. Again, I'm new to turbos but I would image the whole heatsoak thing isn't an issue if you punch the car every so often as opposed to trying to run back to back dyno's.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I mentioned this in another post "Need Hann install" go on the DEI /Design Engineering Inc. website and read about their turbo blankets I've had one for a few years now and highly recommend them .

·
Registered
197 Posts
With the turbo being at the firewall, and the intercooler being low in the front of the car, this is something I'm not going to put much time into. I also have the RK hood with vents. I'm pretty sure I still have my heat shield, I just took it off for something and decided to leave it off.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
I mentioned this in another post "Need Hann install" go on the DEI /Design Engineering Inc. website and read about their turbo blankets I've had one for a few years now and highly recommend them .
I took your advise and skipped over to DEI's website, however I really don't know what I'm looking at? I was assuming that there'd be an option for a K04 turbo wrap however, the following sizes were the only ones listed:

T3, T4, T6, T25/T28, GT22, GTP38R

What do I go with to mate up to our K04's?

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts