Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,193 Posts
First, our Solstices have timing chains (not belts), there are two of them. Depending on the wear on the gears that are driven by the chains, it can get pretty expensive. It is fairly labor intensive so the repair is somewhat dependent on the per hour labor rate of the place that is doing the work.

Expect about $1000 and then up. Get an estimate first.

:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,826 Posts
Told I need a timing belt. What should one expect as repair cost?
What basis was used for this? Belts are replaced based on mileage, while chains are replaced based on actual need.

As Dave pointed out, we have chains, so mileage is not by itself a determining factor.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There are a lot of people lining up to throw stones awful quickly here.

Wouldn't you say it's perfectly reasonable that somebody heard OP has a 15 year old car and recommend that he replace the timing belt before he destroys his engine? If you don't know the ecotecs well, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that a small 4-cylinder has a timing belt. It might just be someone looking out for him. Better safe than sorry.

Or second - maybe the OP himself has already had a failure diagnosed and simply didn't realize there was a difference between the two? If he's asking for cost, he's obviously not a DIY'er and just made an innocent mistake.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,193 Posts
Wouldn't you say it's perfectly reasonable that somebody heard OP has a 15 year old car and recommend that he replace the timing belt before he destroys his engine? If you don't know the ecotecs well, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that a small 4-cylinder has a timing belt. It might just be someone looking out for him. Better safe than sorry.

Or second - maybe the OP himself has already had a failure diagnosed and simply didn't realize there was a difference between the two? If he's asking for cost, he's obviously not a DIY'er and just made an innocent mistake.
Both are distinct possibilities, but like many threads here, a new person leaves a question and then never returns to respond to the answers left by other members.

Who knows? Not I!

:dunno:

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
There are a lot of people lining up to throw stones awful quickly here.
As you will learn young jedi, these cars are like working on Ferraris. There are systems/mechanicals that require very different repair procedures compared to "normal" cars. And if someone calls it a timing belt....I'm out!!! They WILL NOT touch my car!!!

Now onto the OPs question. If you have the GXP/Redline, expect about a $2200 job at your local dealership. It's about 14 hours IMSMC and while they're at it, if you haven't had the waterpump done, have it done right away. That shouldn't be more then an additional couple hundred while they're in there. Furthermore, your car shouldn't need a new chain until you get a CEL. ORRRRR, you can here it clanking against the walls.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ghost I'm not sure what bone you have to pick with me but maybe try reading my post next time rather then just launching a personal attack. Or send me a PM. OP said nothing about any mechanic.

In the meantime, I'll be sure to let the guy at my local Tuffy know every time one of the tens of millions of ecotec equipped cars roll in he's pretty much working on a Ferrari.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Ghost I'm not sure what bone you have to pick with me but maybe try reading my post next time rather then just launching a personal attack. Or send me a PM. OP said nothing about any mechanic.
Whoa Nelly! Didn't read to me like Ghost was launching a personal attack. :huh:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. Love the car and yes know just enough about repairs to be dangerous. Thus learned to ask those that know a lot more. Thus the reason I am in the forum. The "toy" as it is referred to is terrific. Love it and want to be sure it stays in terrific shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
so just top let the op know...what are the teltale sines of a timing chain needing replaced on his/hers solstice.... and who had used the balance shaft eliminator kits and what was the result?

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
Being a reactionary (mechanically) I have always wondered why they opted for a single width timing chain (the answer is probably because they saved a few bucks). The old British stuff usually came with duplex chains that were good for the life of the car, given correct oil changes (although timing chain tensioners usually needed more frequent service than the chains did).

The duplex chains were roughly 50% stronger than simplex and as the force was spread over more sprocket area, the sprockets wore more slowly and the timing as more stable over time.

Late MGB motors went to simplex but many hobbyist owners retrofit duplex for those reasons. Probably not an option on an Ecotec as I doubt there is room in the timing case for the wider sprockets and chain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts