Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
The 12" is definitely better, but I thinkt that it doesn't really solve it. Even if you do not have an antennae and just have the black knob it detracts from the appearance.

I think that if you are going to detract from the appearance you might as well have the better reception and use the original

Thanks for the photo editing

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
The 12" is definitely better, but I thinkt that it doesn't really solve it. Even if you do not have an antennae and just have the black knob it detracts from the appearance.

I think that if you are going to detract from the appearance you might as well have the better reception and use the original

Thanks for the photo editing
That's what I was thinking. Hm... I wonder if I can have the dealer put a special note on my order to NOT include the antenna? I never use the radio anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
dori-san said:
That's what I was thinking. Hm... I wonder if I can have the dealer put a special note on my order to NOT include the antenna? I never use the radio anyway.

I would imagine even if they did exclude the antenna, you'd just end up with a car that has a hole in the body where the antenna's supposed to go... then
you gotta get it filled, etc. If you want to do that, I'd just have a body shop remove the antenna and fill it in, that way you don't have to worry about what's getting into that antenna hole while it's being shipped.

But I'd be very surprised to see them exclude the antenna on just one car since there's not a "radio delete" option...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hidden Antenae

Folks,

Search on the internet for "hidden antenae". It is common in street rods/customs to hide the antenae. I have one in my 1951 Buick...however, I haven't finished the car so I don't know how it works. You might even be able to put it in the trunk (if there's room! :))

I have the powered hidden antenae (for signal boosting) but you can get a non-powered antenae. You would still have to fill the hole from the original...but on the dark colored cars, it shouldn't be a big deal.

RadRiv

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I have a 12" antena on my ZX2 to replace the stock giant silver antena. They're usually much stockier due to the ammount of coil required to get reception being more densely wrapped and thicker. I actually got better FM reception when I switched to the shorter antena. I think they look awesome.

Also they're usually universal. You unscrew your antena and find out the thread size, and you can just buy a 12" antena with the correct adaptor on it. I was actually debating just putting the stock antena back on the ZX2 and keeping the current 12" to try to mount it to the Solstice. Since I'm getting Mysterious I think the short black antena will look much sexier on it then the giant metal mast one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My pontiac Vibe has almost the same looking connector and it has a vey short 12" or so antenna... It looks fine and you barely notice it. Reception is great especially compared to my previous BMW 525i and Buick rendezvous which both had them built into the windows.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was hoping the antennae would be motorized so when you weren't listening to the radio it would be compacted down. I like my camaro becuase the antennae's in the windshield. we put a signal booster on it several years ago and it gets great reception.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
A 2001 Civic has a windshield antenna and I have never had a problem with reception. I think the antenna is just one of those compromises that let Pontiac have a $19,995 starting price. Maybe in 2007 they will have an antenna upgrade.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm using a "hidden antenea" on my HD Electra Glide...bought at NAPA..$19.95..It is like a thin, flexible wire I folded up and "taped" to inside of fairing with double sided tape...works great..plugs in same as any other antenae. I;m sure it doesnt get quite the reception of a 4 -6 foot mast..but doesnt look like a stick on the back of my bike either. Personnaly, think I'll go with a 12" black mast...should fill in the hole, blend in with my "mysterious" and not detract from the looks and won't have to worry about an empty hole in my sheetmetal.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like it :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
dori-san said:
Yup, 6 inches looks like a winner to me!
The 6" one looks almost too small to me for some reason. I think the 9" would be the smallest I'd go antena wise. When looking at the car I kinda like the antena height to be about the height of the cabin, but no taller.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts