Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Would like to retain the wiring for my stock stereo, however, would like to upgrade to a new unit that has USB and Modern stuff. Any good suggestions?

Doc!

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
Hi all,

Would like to retain the wiring for my stock stereo, however, would like to upgrade to a new unit that has USB and Modern stuff. Any good suggestions?

Doc!
There have been a number of threads about radio replacements, so a search will likely get you a wealth of suggestions. Adapter kits are readily available. Crutchfield is a good source for hardware and installation/setup assistance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I put a factory deck from a Chev Cobalt (2009 I think) into my 2006 with the Monsoon system. The Cobalt deck has a USB port.
Install is straight forward. The drawback is you need to unlock the radio and associate it to your VIN.

I bought the radio for $40 CDN and then my dealer unlocked it and matched to my VIN for free (I have a really good service advisor I deal with).

So total cost was $40 CDN. Now I can charge my phone and play music through my phone/usb stick to the radio.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Hi all,

Doc!
yes. go to the Crutchfield website. They have just about any radio you could choose from. More importantly, they furnish car specific harnesses and instructions to make a new radio almost completely plug & play. They also have a knowledgable tech staff to hold your hand during installation.

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
184 Posts
Crutchfield is a good source for hardware and installation/setup assistance.
Just be advised that the worldwide shortage of chips is making it "challenging" to find the quality brand you want at a reasonable price THAT IS IN STOCK. Crutchfield is out of my first SEVEN choices. I've been watching several Kenwood models and finally found one out of NJ that is "reportedly" in stock - - but it's almost $300 more than the price my local dealer quoted, just for the head unit. Of course, they allegedly have it, and his is backordered to the next Ice Age.....so that makes it problematic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As everyone has already said lots options. A tip for you is something with a physical volume knob. You will be surprised by how many aftermarket radios just have buttons.

I put in a Sony XAV-200 four years ago for Android Auto and Car Play. It's a bonus to have a CD player when reception or cell data is an issue. It's nice to hide the phone and just put on a good album for a drive. I have found Sirius XM didnt always come in as strong as it did the with the OEM radio. And most people on the forum have swapped to a stubby antenna so local radio range is a bit limited.

For usability sake you could look for something with wireless Android Auto or Car Play. I was able to add wireless Android Auto with a third party adapter that just came out.

And make sure the installer connects the parking brake wire so you don't have any vehicle not in park issues for Android Auto or Car Play.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,051 Posts
just wondering....as usual, my coupe says it has a sub somewhere ,rpo I think is where i saw it.I had noticed it has the holes like the sub models doin the back pannel not like my 06 witch is solid., but nothing about monsoon..did they put subs in without the monsoon amp? no I havent listened to it yet I havent got that far.I dont want to power it all up till Ive inspected all the front wire harness witch did have a few scraped wires from the axe a dent.( I bought it crashed,not bad but it's a solstice so it's expensive to get the new parts& changing to the gxp nose.) as far as I know it's just the std stereo/cd player,but also had the cord in the glove box to plug in whatever you plug into them,thats all past me im old....and know squat about that stuff.(also has onstar&xm) the rpo just said something like 7 speaker base or somethen I cant remember squat these days. so I assume it's not a monsoon.

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
just wondering....as usual, my coupe says it has a sub somewhere ,rpo I think is where i saw it.I had noticed it has the holes like the sub models doin the back pannel not like my 06 witch is solid., but nothing about monsoon..did they put subs in without the monsoon amp? no I havent listened to it yet I havent got that far.I dont want to power it all up till Ive inspected all the front wire harness witch did have a few scraped wires from the axe a dent.( I bought it crashed,not bad but it's a solstice so it's expensive to get the new parts& changing to the gxp nose.) as far as I know it's just the std stereo/cd player,but also had the cord in the glove box to plug in whatever you plug into them,thats all past me im old....and know squat about that stuff.(also has onstar&xm) the rpo just said something like 7 speaker base or somethen I cant remember squat these days. so I assume it's not a monsoon.
UQ3 is the code for the Monsoon, which is the 7-speaker system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts