Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well even though we really like the G8, and I like that that we haven't had a car payment in years, the inability to get a replacement Yaw Sensor has forced my hand. The bad Yaw sensor knocks out the Stability Control System, Traction Control System, and sometimes the Anti Lock Brakes. Finding that the sensor was discontinued sometime before September of 2019 (when the issue started) and tring 2 used sensors that were not much better than the original one. (the 1st one lasted almost 2 weeks, and the 2nd one 3 days) My wife has had to drive the car this winter with those systems intermittent. Most times the messages clear when the car is shut off and does not move for a couple of hours, but a few times the faults stay active. When they are active the remote start will not work. This popped up again last week when we has temps close to 0 F, and 8 inch's of snow. That was her final straw.

After being loyal GM people for 30+ years, and not interested in an SUV, we searched for what 4-door, RWD, V8 cars were available. Without going to a Asian or European brand, that left just a Cadillac CT6 that starts just below what our house is worth, or a Charger.

When my wife found out she could get the Charger in Orange, and that the Cloth seats have a Houndstooth pattern, she was sold. We test drove one Monday, and ordered our car today. Sad to think about the Last Pontiac I bought new going away. Another era over. Thanks GM.

But on the bright side we will be getting a 480+ HP Daily Driver. It should be fun.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
wow -- that sensor was not on any other car ?

well... have fun with the new car...

·
Super Moderator
7,002 Posts
It is hard for me to believe that three sensors (used or not) failed that quickly without help. I suspect a wiring problem.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John its a delicate sensor, and even though I asked the company's I bought them for to package them carefully, they both came in a padded envelope, so even if they were good when removed, I don't think they survived the shipping process.
As for the cars they were used on it was only the Holden Built 2004-06 GTO's & the 2008-09 GT8's in this country. They were also used in a Opel Platform, and the Holden Commodore's. They were made by Bosch and the GM Part Number is 24413377, If anyone car find a source for a new one in North America I would be interested in it.

Several places have taken my order for one only to refund the $$$'s when they found out GM has purged them from the parts system. I am sure someplace has a few, but I have not been able to locate one.

As for wiring it all seems to check out, and changing the sensor is such a PITA I don't want to do it a 3rd time unless the sensor is new.

Thanks for putting up with the ranting.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the G8 Sold today, now just waiting for the Scat Pack to be Built

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I have the Scat as my DD and you won't be disappointed!! You can actually get rubber in it at 50mph by standing on the gas...don't ask me how I know...it may have involved a bit of road-rage....;) If you want the active exhaust open all the time, there is an OBDII device called the Z Automotive Tazer that will "unlock" the SRT pages on your information screens. Be very careful with it though as you have to "copy" your current screens, then unlock the others. Then when you need service, copy the old screens back over. But there is a feature on the Tazer that will allow you to put the car in "track mode". This opens the active exhaust and puts the transmission in track mode, which means the car stays in higher RPM ranges. It also does other cool features like a true line-lock for awesome burnouts and it also has a light show. The lightshow is nothing more then the 6 pre-programmed lighting patterns for police vehicles involving all the external lights, and with their latest update you can actually program your own now...something I haven't tried yet. Just make sure if you need to go back for service, everything is back to normal and the device is out of the car! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Just curious if you don't mind me asking what will insurance cost you on this car as opposed to the other one . I know it's a new car and there are variables such as tickets and where you live . I have a friend who has a Hellcat and he is paying $3000.00 every 6 months with a good driving record , living in a burb of Cleveland ,and it's not his daily driver

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I can tell you I'm at about $2700/yr, no tickets, no accidents...But I'm in Detroit and we have THE highest costs on the nation.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
scat
noun (1)
Definition of scat (Entry 2 of 5)
: an animal fecal dropping

Or is it considered "cool" to have a shitty name like that ?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone, as for insurance costs I was quoted $88 more every 6 months, so around $170 more a year than we payed for the G8 GT.

This will be my wifes daily driver, and part time Dog hauler for the Greyhounds. You know fast dogs need fast cars!

The G8 actually sold this week for $1500 more than I was offered if we traded it in. Now we just have to wait for the charger to be built.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it is official Kat is now a Mopar Girl. The Charger Scat Pack arrived Monday at the dealer, and was delivered yesterday. Kat is just a little exited.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, we will remove the guards, but for now Kat is to paranoid about breaking the spoiler she wants them left on for awhile until she gets used to where the front end is in relation to parking curbs.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And I understand about the 4-door charger thing, I went thru the same thing when they started making 4-door Grand Prix's. But I eventually got over it. As we owned a 4-Door 1999 GP for many years.

·
Super Moderator
7,002 Posts
Thanks, we will remove the guards, but for now Kat is to paranoid about breaking the spoiler she wants them left on for awhile until she gets used to where the front end is in relation to parking curbs.
Those guards will give you more awareness and keep you from banging things into them, but if you really need them for parking curbs you are just going to end up with cracked plastic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts