Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I have a 2007 Solstice GXP and the original owner. I need to change the air filter (I've usually just paid to have it done at the garage) but I'm not the most mechanically inclined. I figure replacing the air filter can't be that difficult, but I'd prefer if there were some tutorials online on how to do it?

I took a look at the engine and it seems the cover where the filter is is secured in place pretty well and I'm not sure how to take it off- hence the tutorial.

I'd love to get some help here from someone more knowledgeable about these things.

Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
if your not sure and an air filter is tricking you up . why not just take it up to the auto parts store where you will buy your air filter and ask them . im sure they will show you and put it in for free .

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Be careful Grasshopper, their are demons awaiting.. Be sure to disconnect the braided line to the Air Box first. :brentil:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
HAEL, Yeah. Like SolNut said!

You MUST disconnect the check valve (at the point marked in the photo below) first! Or you will almost certainly break the nipple of the intake pipe/filter lid assembly. Do NOT let an auto parts store guy at it - certainly without doing that first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HAEL, Yeah. Like SolNut said!

You MUST disconnect the check valve (at the point marked in the photo below) first! Or you will almost certainly break the nipple of the intake pipe/filter lid assembly. Do NOT let an auto parts store guy at it - certainly without doing that first.

Thanks for all this important information. I never would have thought of those things!

How do I get the cover off? I don't see any screws or anything that fastens it down.

Also can you specify a little more with red line and the dotted line are in the photo??

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Thanks for all this important information. I never would have thought of those things!

How do I get the cover off? I don't see any screws or anything that fastens it down.

Also can you specify a little more with red line and the dotted line are in the photo??
The lines are the various vent tubes. For more, see: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ouldnt-run-oil-catch-can-occ-lnf-kappa-71640/

The air filter lid is held on with clips - standard with most cars nowadays. You can just see the top of one (silver) poking above the lid on the far right edge of the photo I posted above. Just push them back away from the lid to remove. See clips (marked 15) below:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Go slow, look over anything you pull up on, if it has wires or hoses be careful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lines are the various vent tubes. For more, see: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ouldnt-run-oil-catch-can-occ-lnf-kappa-71640/

The air filter lid is held on with clips - standard with most cars nowadays. You can just see the top of one (silver) poking above the lid on the far right edge of the photo I posted above. Just push them back away from the lid to remove. See clips (marked 15) below:

:O Do I have to disassemble all that stuff just to get to the filter?!

Go slow, look over anything you pull up on, if it has wires or hoses be careful.
Oh yes, this car is my baby, I'll be super delicate.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Thanks to the forums, I became aware of the potential problem soon after I bought my car, so I let the dealer change my air filter. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's better than breaking the nipple. :brentil:

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I 2nd what TS said, just make sure you tell the dealer to please make sure they squeeze the plastic yellowish clip on item 16, and proceeds to disconnect it, before the person changing the filter tries to undo the clips.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your quick replies everyone!

Tovette, where are you located? Maybe another member is close by and can show you on their car.
I live in San Diego, CA. Rancho Bernardo specifically.

The reason I want to do it myself is because I'm currently unemployed and trying to save money.

I know I'm not an idiot, and I could do this myself if someone showed me how. Hopefully someone who lives near by would be willing to demonstrate on a weekend.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
OK - simple instructions:

1. Squeeze the plastic yellowish clip on the vent pipe Check Valve (item 16 in the parts diagram) and GENTLY pull the valve off the large intake tube. Bend the vent pipe out of the way.

2. Push the clips (items 15 in the parts diagram) back away from the air filter lid to release them. There are are least 6 of these clips all around the lid.

3. Lift the lid off the air filter, pull the air filter out and replace with new one. Put the lid back on, making sure it's firmly and correctly in place.

4. Push the lid clips back on. They will be tight and you'll probably have to lift and push at the same time. Re connect the vent hose & valve by just pushing onto the intake nipple until it clicks in place.

Done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK - simple instructions:

1. Squeeze the plastic yellowish clip on the vent pipe Check Valve (item 16 in the parts diagram) and GENTLY pull the valve off the large intake tube. Bend the vent pipe out of the way.

2. Push the clips (items 15 in the parts diagram) back away from the air filter lid to release them. There are are least 6 of these clips all around the lid.

3. Lift the lid off the air filter, pull the air filter out and replace with new one. Put the lid back on, making sure it's firmly and correctly in place.

4. Push the lid clips back on. They will be tight and you'll probably have to lift and push at the same time. Re connect the vent hose & valve by just pushing onto the intake nipple until it clicks in place.

Done.
Thanks for taking the time to write out the steps! I appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Or... without disconnecting any hoses... unlatch all the boxtop clips... reach in from the driver's side and carefully lift the top only about 2 inches and slide out sideways (pull toward you) the old air filter. Slide the new filter in similarly until it falls into place. Relatch the top and done in three minutes..

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I would not advise the above if the person is not comfortable doing this, the wrong move and the nipple gets broke.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Or... without disconnecting any hoses... unlatch all the boxtop clips... reach in from the driver's side and carefully lift the top only about 2 inches and slide out sideways (pull toward you) the old air filter. Slide the new filter in similarly until it falls into place. Relatch the top and done in three minutes..
Agree with LV, WHY on EARTH would you do it this way? It takes 5secs to disconnect the hose - it's a simple clip-on! Wow.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Why? Believe in the K.I.S.S. Principle. Something as simple as changing an air filter shouldn't have to be complicated. Don't see the need to turn it into a Federal Project :). Have done it this way a couple of times and will do it again when the time comes. To each their own. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts