Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace my OE cat with a solo HF cat and have a question. I can't recall where, but I read somewhere that replacement of the cat in the Redline/GXP requires the removal of the passenger side motor mount so the motor can be lifted a couple of inches to enable the removal of the old cat and installation of the new (HF) cat. Is this true? If so, doesn't moving the motor that much put a strain on components, tubes wires, etc. that are connected to the motor? Can both old and new be wrangled in/out of the mounted position without disconnecting the motor mount?

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
Happily I can report that it is NOT true. There is a how to video on Youtube that shows this method. I reviewed it prior to installing my own high flow cat. But it is really not necessary. If you play around with the factory cat it comes out readily. And the Solo slides right back in its place.

The tricky part is getting the standoff (exstension tube for the O2 sensor) on the right end of the cat LOL. When we did mine the first time the directions were not idiot proof so we of course did it backwards with the expected result. Once we turned that around it has been fine ever since. Well, till it migrated out of Punisher into a friends car where its doing well.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great news RTE! I really didn't want to mess with the motor mounts. I'll look on youtube for the vid. :thumbs:

·
Registered
167 Posts
that motor mount is super easy to remove. you dont have to take off anything except one bolt on the bottom of the car and its free. just remove that one downward facing bolt and lift the engine a tiny bit. youre not gonna damage any connecting wires, you're literally moving it just an inch or so to make it slide out easier.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
They talk about replacing the metal seal between the turbo and the HF Cat: Does that seal come with the new CAT?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The metal gasket comes with the high flow cat. You will also need to add an O2 extender if you want to still pass emissions. You may have to jack the passenger (I think) side of the engine up a bit to slide the cat into place. It's a pretty straight forward ordeal. Make sure to use penetrating oil on the old cat bolts prior to disassembly. It will make your life much easier. I have no issues or problms with mine since the change and that was 2+ years ago.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Morfious:

Thank you for the info. From you experience, did you have a noticeable performance difference after installing the HF CAT?
(I don't see tune in your signature, but I assume you some kind of tune as well)

When I put the Solo cat on Punisher, it did offer faster trip through the RPM range and with the GMPP added about 14 WHP in my estimation. When Dave worked his magic, the combination of the cat and his tweaking of the GMPP tune resulted in a measured 3-5 HP at the wheels

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Here's a quick question. During my waiting period for a stock cat under warranty, I purchased a hi-flow which I intend on installing shortly. I understand getting some of the flow restriction helps performance, BUT...

Will the ECM "learn down" over time?

2.4l N/A - stock everything on the engine, intake, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Someone else will have to chime in on the N/A, as I am not 100% sure.
But is seems to me that the "ECM Learn Down" (IE: Torque Management) was limited to the turbo car's programming.

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
Someone else will have to chime in on the N/A, as I am not 100% sure.
But is seems to me that the "ECM Learn Down" (IE: Torque Management) was limited to the turbo car's programming.
Without going back to check the historical threads this is my belief as well. But we really need to go check it.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I'll hunt for it - thanks for the quick feedback.

My memory (which is not what it once was) tells me it had a bit more zip and it noticeably dropped off with the factory cat. So I'll check the history and more importantly I'll test it soon!

!#$!#$# 2-4 inches of snow predicted tomorrow night through Saturday .... !#$#!#$#

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
The NA does not have any learn down feature on the ECM programming.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Thanks Latin. I did do some searching during my lunch hour today that indicated members agree. I appreciate you checking in to confirm that.

Looks like Tommy's changin' Cats this weekend! lol!

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Hi Flow Cat for sale for 2.4 liter Solstice

I purchased a new Hi Flow Cat from GM Roadster, but it would not fit because of my long tube exhaust headers. The cat goes in the same space as the stock cat.

For sale for $200, I'll ship it anywhere in the North American continent no charge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts