Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m replacing the water pump on my 08 GXP. I’m following the DDMWorks recommendation for replacement (although the turbo is burning oil so it needs replaced too). I used the half moon tool to hold the sprocket in place. When I was trying to locate the holes to reinstall the pump on the gear, I dropped a 2” bolt in to the engine.

How screwed am I?

How much effort will it be to remove the front of the engine to access the timing chain and hopefully the bolt?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Those are lifesavers.

There is only one difference between a handy person and one that is not.

The handy person knows how to correct, cover up or hide mistakes.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
So I’m replacing the water pump on my 08 GXP. I’m following the DDMWorks recommendation for replacement (although the turbo is burning oil so it needs replaced too). I used the half moon tool to hold the sprocket in place. When I was trying to locate the holes to reinstall the pump on the gear, I dropped a 2” bolt in to the engine.

How screwed am I?

How much effort will it be to remove the front of the engine to access the timing chain and hopefully the bolt?
Hopefully one of the suggestions offered so far will help you with getting the bolt. Make sure to use a lot of Vasoline or grease to hold the bolts to the socket when doing the install. There is a little pocket down below the water pump that hopefully caught the bolt and if so, with a magnet you might be able to retrieve it. In the picture you will see what is below the water pump (big round hole) and I am pointing to the little pocket below that hopefully caught it.

If you can not get it out, you will need to remove both belts from the engine, the crank pulley and the front plate. Once those are removed you will have access to basically anywhere the bolt would have went, unless it went all the way into the oil pan.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
On a side note: this is one reason that I like the full circle tool rather than the half-circle version. At least on the one I have, the holes to access the screws in the pump gear were pretty deep, and made it a lot harder to drop a bolt. (It also nicely covers up the rest of the opening, and bolts to the timing cover in four places.)

Removing the valve cover may give you better access to get the magnet tool down where it needs to go, depending on where it landed.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
I like that trigger operated magnetic pick up - without that, they try to glom onto everything on the way down.

This post brings back nightmares of doing a valve job on a Jaguar straight 6 in the car and dropping one of the cam sprocket bolts into the timing case while reassembling and gearing it hit things all the way down. Fortunately it made it into the sump so a fairly easy resolution.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
My dad dropped a very small aluminum thing (I don't recall what it was) into one of the cylinders while changing plugs on a first generation 300ZX.

Fun thing about AL: magnets don't work as well as one might hope.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but all this talk of graspers reminds me of claw graspers.

It's not that magnets are new technology, but I remember growing up only having the flexible "claw" graspers and not a magnetic type.

These things were a joke. I remember trying to unsuccessfully pick things up pretty often.

Do you have or remember these things?

Ours did NOT have a fancy light on it like this one...

Flexible Claw Pick Up Tool 4 Claw LED Alloy Shaft Universal Magnet Lighting Multifunction Collect Grabber Tools https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H984GC5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hOWFCbASTGZHD

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but all this talk of graspers reminds me of claw graspers.

It's not that magnets are new technology, but I remember growing up only having the flexible "claw" graspers and not a magnetic type.

These things were a joke. I remember trying to unsuccessfully pick things up pretty often.

Do you have or remember these things?

Ours did NOT have a fancy light on it like this one...

Flexible Claw Pick Up Tool 4 Claw LED Alloy Shaft Universal Magnet Lighting Multifunction Collect Grabber Tools https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H984GC5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hOWFCbASTGZHD

I have several of those graspers and they are indispensible on boats. Drop a bolt on a car in the engine compartment and it usually falls to the ground, unless you drop it into the engine. On a boat, it drops into the bilge, under the engine or a spot that is unreachable. Most fasteners used on boats are non magnetic stainless so magnetic pickups are useless.

One of my claw grabbers has a 4 foot extension to get way under things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully one of the suggestions offered so far will help you with getting the bolt. Make sure to use a lot of Vasoline or grease to hold the bolts to the socket when doing the install. There is a little pocket down below the water pump that hopefully caught the bolt and if so, with a magnet you might be able to retrieve it. In the picture you will see what is below the water pump (big round hole) and I am pointing to the little pocket below that hopefully caught it.

If you can not get it out, you will need to remove both belts from the engine, the crank pulley and the front plate. Once those are removed you will have access to basically anywhere the bolt would have went, unless it went all the way into the oil pan.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Thanks Dave for the suggestion on where it might have landed. The magnetic “worm” I ordered arrived today. Hopefully, I’ll be able to find it this evening. I really wish I would have known about the full circle tool. I would have DEFINITELY used that instead, knowing what I know now.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Sweet! Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know it doesn't help with the OP problem as he fixed it but I bought an endoscope for less than $10 to plugs into my phone and works great. If you attach it to the magnet/grabber you can see to guide it where you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
@Tronak

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C6P0NS/

OTC 6616

That's the one I used. It's great. It also screws into all three holes on the water pump gear, whereas the half-moon tool uses two. I like to plan for things going sideways. Belt + suspenders.

If you wind up using the half-moon tool, it might make more sense to put it upside down - covering the top of the hole instead of the bottom - as that feels like it might be better at preventing things from falling in.

Or, just spend the extra $15 and cover the whole thing up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts