Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
I am brand new to this forum. Is there a place I can provide my feedback to potential buyers as I intend to check out several more cars in my area?

And thank you again everyone for your help and encouragement!! I'm looking forward to being an owner, and participating member here.
There is not a specific section for that type of feedback, and if the cars are advertised on the forum by forum members you are not allowed to say anything negative about them here anyway.

If the cars are listed in ChopTop's "Cars for Sale" posts you can certainly reply to those specific posts and give your review of them. Those cars are not being listed by members, so criticizing them is both acceptable and helpful.

We look forward to you being here.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
When I was searching 2 1/2 years ago it seemed that there were a lot of Kappas in Florida and Georgia. Maybe it is just that it is about as far from Wisconsin as you can get. Keep hunting, your car is out there.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Look north of you. Kappas down south tend to be driven more often and are subject to the hot sun. Northern cars will start to come out of winter hibernation and can be lower mileage. Plus more occasional drivers/ nice weather vehicles. Good luck in your search. I’ve had an NA and now have 2 GXPs. Would never go back to an NA. But to each there own!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Although it appears the OP's initial experience was with a basket case, compared to pushrod engines, OHC engines generally suffer from lack of low-end torque This may account for some of the "sluggishness" of the 2.4L. My opinion is that the general driveability of the 2.4L was better with the automatic versus the manual.

·
Registered
586 Posts
most of the ohc engines seem to be smaller witch will have less low end tq... but this engine does suffer from low everything ,compared to a japan 4 cylinder of the same size....and thats on GM. these engiens are also used in offraod racing in buggies a lot.and the tuners for them ,do all the usual tuning along with camshaft tuning.... why dont the guys that do our cars do the camshaft tuning...? oh well it is what it is.I doubt a off road tuner guy would want to go a tune for our cars. and they dont care about low end tq any way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you check Facebook market place, there seem to be quite a few Solstice for sale in your area listed in your area.

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
most of the ohc engines seem to be smaller witch will have less low end tq... but this engine does suffer from low everything ,compared to a japan 4 cylinder of the same size....and thats on GM. ............
Which engines? The LE5 got some good reviews when it was new, and i just did a quick search that turned up some engines that are close or slightly more, but not enought to be excited about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had my heart set on a solstice since I discovered their affordability earlier this year.

Had my first test drive today. is this the experience I should have expected? -

I chose a 2008 automatic with 44k miles as a good place to start. carfax says no accidents and good maintenance record.

Based on the scores of review's I've read, the inside was as expected... comfortable for me, appointments where I expected.

The driving experience was NOT as expected. The exhaust was very loud... twice as loud as my fiero. every little bump in the road transferred to the driver, accelerator response from the engine felt heavy and rough. Felt like a rat rod and reminded me of the stripped down 65 Camaro my buddy had in the 80's.

Some reviews described a nice exhaust sound, but no one's description behind the wheel would lead me to believe this is a normal ride.

in 2002 I bought a Fiero with 120k miles. I owned it 5 years and was VERY satisfied; I would still be driving one if it weren't for the maintenance expectations of a 35yr old car. It was much quieter and smoother driving. I have a hard time thinking with 20 years of technological advancements that this is the result.

Before I waste time driving out of state to look at another one, is this the driving experience I should expect? Or is this just a mis-advertised car?

Thank you for your feedback.
Your experience kind of Echos mine as my first drive of a Redline was in LA and was a lower mile one at 40,000 but had been driven hard and put away wet (if you understand the horse metaphor)
Personally I would really look for a GXP or a REDLINE as they both typically have tuned suspensions and drive a world different than a base. The extra power is easier to obtain as part of the purchase rather than trying later to uprate the Base in my opinion. I wound up with a very low mile 2007 Redline loaded with very low 6300 miles 2 years ago and I am very happy. Just know that a clean Carfax does not gaurentee no damage … it is an indicator only.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had my heart set on a solstice since I discovered their affordability earlier this year.

I chose a 2008 automatic with 44k miles as a good place to start. carfax says no accidents and good maintenance record.

Based on the scores of review's I've read, the inside was as expected... comfortable for me, appointments where I expected.

The driving experience was NOT as expected. The exhaust was very loud... twice as loud as my fiero. every little bump in the road transferred to the driver, accelerator response from the engine felt heavy and rough. Felt like a rat rod and reminded me of the stripped down 65 Camaro my buddy had in the 80's.

Some reviews described a nice exhaust sound, but no one's description behind the wheel would lead me to believe this is a normal ride.

in 2002 I bought a Fiero with 120k miles. I owned it 5 years and was VERY satisfied; I would still be driving one if it weren't for the maintenance expectations of a 35yr old car. It was much quieter and smoother driving. I have a hard time thinking with 20 years of technological advancements that this is the result.

Before I waste time driving out of state to look at another one, is this the driving experience I should expect? Or is this just a mis-advertised car?

Sorry your ride wasn’t what you expected. I have a 2006 5 speed that I bought knew...never had a problem...my exhaust is not loud, and it takes the bumps very well...only have 44,000 miles. I really have enjoyed mine over the years...it actually rides smoother than my 2018 Camaro.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi UncleDenz. I've owned a manual '07 GXP since new and have loved it ever since the test drive. Strangers are constantly commenting on how beautiful it is and then asking me, "what is it?". Non-stop fun and a great conversation starter. It's got almost 60k on the clock and has been perfectly reliable, aside from an intermittent engine misfire code a couple of years ago due to carbon build up due to the GDI and PCV systems, which took a little while to diagnose and treat. The dealer zapped it eventually... This is definitely a Pontiac masterpiece, especially considering the price of admission. I highly recommend the GXP, if you can find one in good shape. Good GXPs are available in your price range, BTW. The power is amazing and kicks in low in the rpm range with little lag... 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is pretty damn fun. In addition, the 2.0 liter Ecotec gets 30+ MPG on the highway. I've driven it across the country three times and I think it's a great tourer. Really hunkers down at 70-80 mph. The cargo space sucks, but that's not why you buy a roadster, right? In answer to your exhaust question, in my car I find the sound is very subdued even from behind. In the cockpit, I hear the clicking of the high pressure injectors more than the exhaust note. I used to own a Porsche 993 with the factory "motor sound" option... Holy crap that was loud! If it weren't for the fact that the exhaust system on my Solstice is in perfect shape, I might shop around for a louder exhaust. Just in passing, I owned a Miata in the 90s which was a fun reliable car, but the Solstice is WAY more fun/unique. Again, I recommend that you drive a GXP if you can. Suspension is more sophisticated than the N/A and you get a limited slip diff as well as some other performance upgrades in addition to the spine tingling 260 HP and 260 lb/ft of torque. : )

·
Registered
106 Posts
As an aside... the Solstice was designed by Tesla's current design chief and Mazda's former design chief, Franz von Holzhausen.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
The last car you looked at was priced correctly for an NA. Not sure what you're price range is or where you're located, but I've been following pricing for the last 5 years. Yellow and Orange cars will command an additional $1000 to $3000 dependent on location. Location also will command different pricing. As an example, an '08 GXP in the midwest with about 75k on it is going for around $10,500 now. Last year, they were about $8500 so the price has risen this year for some reason. An NA would go for around $6500 to $7500 now. If any were yellow or orange, you could add $2k to the price. If any were northern cars, you could add another $500-$1k. So that yellow GXP in MI would go for around $14k. Texas, AZ, CA and Florida will command about $1k less. Or at least that's been my experience in tracking them all. A grey '08 GXP w/75k on it in Texas would go for $9500 or there abouts.... And a manual transmission will go for a bit ($500 to $1000) over an auto as they are a bit more desirable. We're all here to help if you have questions!! We will all give honest advice and we'll tell you, if we can, whether a car is priced right. Good luck on your quest!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2006 parked at my parents house in Alabama... I bought it last year and don't use it much. Just thought about selling it since you stated you would look in Alabama also. Let me know and I'll send you pictures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just picked up my 2nd 2007 GXP. My first one was a manual I bought in 2012. This one is an automatic. It has 37000 miles and looks like it just drove off the factory line. I was fortunate enough to snag it for $8500. Will be visiting Performance Autowerkes shortly for an FMIC and tune. Solo exhaust enroute. I had to make a few changes. My wife and daughter have already called me out. I bought my wife a BMW 135I. Should be a fun race. I have driven it more than she has.Going to be a fun summer!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought an 09 GXP coupe with 3k mi on it back 2010. I'd always loved the convertibles, but once I'd seen a coupe on the road, I dove in and bought the first black 5spd I could find sight unseen from a dealer 1900 miles away. I used the potential "collect-ability" of it as rationalization for buying it, but with just over 40k on it now, I've thrown that out the window. I've loved it since I bought it and it's been problem free with the exception of a steering clunk fixed under warranty and a check engine light that came on near the end of a track day at PIR. It reset itself and hasn't come back. (Oh, and on that same day the tiny little front brakes got so hot they melted the decorative centercap out of one of my aftermarket wheels)

Mine has what most consider basic mods (RPM Motorsports 25psi tune, charge tubes, Kappasphere 1.5 inch lowering springs, a host of braces, Solo hi flow cat downpipe, exhaust, forged wheels with Mich Pilot Sport 4S tires and a secret bumpstop recipe that rides better than stock in spite of the lowering) I like my little setup so much that I can honestly say the car is more fun to drive than than the Corvette C7 that my wife briefly owned. Not faster, not more comfortable, just more fun, more rare, less pretentious, better looking, and even a few better MPG at around 30-32.

All that being said, I would never recommend one of these as a commuter car to a friend or a family member, unless that person was at least a skilled mechanic or prepared to set aside 1-2k every few years or so for long term maintenance and was prepared to accept a car with:
  • a pogo-ey stock rear suspension (perhaps what you meant by harsh) due to limited rear shock travel, very stiff bumpstops and inadequate rebound damping. Highly worn, over-inflated, or cheapo off-brand tires can also contribute to harshness, but with lots of butt time in Celicas, MX6s, CRXs, RX7s, MR2s, 240SXs, Miatas, Mustangs, Vettes and a vast array of sport sedans throughout the years, I feel qualified to say that the stock GXP rear suspension is unpleasant by comparison and most likely the culprit.
  • awkward (at best) cabin ergonomics with a flat-feeling lower seat cushion and a lumbar curve that may fit someone, somewhere
  • a somewhat coarse overall drivetrain feel. (you will miss the slick feel of your Honda)
  • questionable high mileage reliability. Based on LOTS of threads (but not personal experience), you will start seeing lots of non-sched-maint issues (mostly minor, but possibly a few major) between 80-100k mi. Your 150k Honda is likely to be less problematic than a 70k Sol.
  • a stock stereo (even with subwoofer) that is better than free airline headphones, but not by much
  • approach and breakover angles that will elicit many "aw-&*%$"s if you forget to creep up sloped driveway entrances and over speedbumps
  • a rattle that sounds like its coming from the doorlock thing by my ear. Forever. Requires hi volume on that lame stock radio to hide it. Ok maybe that's just my car.
  • a confused purpose...like many performance cars these days, it's so capable that the speeds required for it to feel challenged on public roads are rarely reached. The track at PIR was PLENTY of challenge, but I felt like I was physically abusing it. Cruising slowly and parking lot posturing feels like I'm emotionally abusing it. I suspect it will find its happy place on an autocross track (and will test this summer).
Instead, I would keep the Civic and ALSO get a Sol GXP. Just limit use to weekends and 1 commuting day or so a week. Its enough mileage to keep the seals from drying out and to get used to the ergos and NVH, but also low enough that you could probly keep driving it forever...and remember even when you're not driving it, you still get to LOOK at it.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I bet that one was rode hard put up wet. Likely needs tires, shocks, exhaust/gaskets. Find an GXP with low milage.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts