Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
no need to leave because you bougt a Sky. Lots of Sky owners here...

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 2.0 is not designed to be driven at low RPM. Gear selection should keep the revs up above 2500. On our turbo 2,0 I keep it at 2k and up. The ECM will adjust to low RPM by changing timing and mixture. Often under these conditions it will fail to accelerate smoothly until you wake it up. Mine will ping if I drive it lugged down and hammer it.
I guess we are both stating same thing but in different words. Just an adjustment when going from a big cube motor. And the lack of 6th gear would always get me if haven't driven a solstice for a while. At least better than the 4 speed, that one gets annoying on the highway. In usual casual driving would already be in 4th by 30mph, and then it is just stays in 4th from then on.

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
I guess we are both stating same thing but in different words. Just an adjustment when going from a big cube motor. And the lack of 6th gear would always get me if haven't driven a solstice for a while. At least better than the 4 speed, that one gets annoying on the highway. In usual casual driving would already be in 4th by 30mph, and then it is just stays in 4th from then on.
Most of the 5- and 6-speed transmissions I have seen have the same overall range of ratios from first to top gear. The only real difference is the spacing of the ratios, with the 6-speed theoretically giving you better control. The range between top and bottom ratios gives you the amount of overdrive you will get if you gear the final drive for the same overall driveline ratio in1st gear. Conversely you can gear the final drive for a lower 1st with the same overdive, or even split the difference.

The AR-5 has a 3.75 1st and a 0.73 5th, for an range of 5.136
The T-56 has a 2.66 1st and a 0.50 or 0,63 6th for ranges of 5.32 and 4.29

Simply trading the AR-5 for a T-56 without changing the drive axle ration would give you a nice overdrive for cruising, but would give you less acceleration in 1st. That is no problem for a V-8 swap, or a supercharger, but may not be desirable for anything else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
still waiting for my car to be picked up and transported... I downloaded a 2007 owners manual to learn what features I might not be familiar with, especially the computer control system features and customizing.

the windshield wiper delay adjustment is cool.

but I discovered that it can be switched to "competitive driving mode"!! No one told me about that!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm in South Carolina and thinking about selling my Red 2007 5 speed 2.4 with 53,000 miles.
It's loaded with every option package...everything works.....I'm the second owner, Excellent condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you kindly, everyone for your advice.

I am not naive to sportscars, I have owned a 74 TR6, 84 firebird, 84 fiero, and driven a miata. I don't expect a solstice to ride like an Merc SLK. But i liked them all and they drove as would be expected.

I was simply disappointed in my test drive based on my expectations and previous experiences. Maybe I simply sat in a bad car.

I am going to go ahead and try a 2007 saturn sky 57k miles, on my way out of state to visit a 2008 solstice 61k miles $6400. (i don't like the styling of the Sky, prefer the solstice, but will compare the ride. I come from a pontiac family)

I really didn't think I needed the performance of a gxp, so have been looking at base models. Plus I was hoping to stay within the $7-8000 price range... but if the gxp is better built I may need to consider. And If I really like it and am going to drive it for 10 years I am willing to consider going up to $12.

I know solstice is getting rare, and sometimes its a matter of finding a gem in the rough. sometimes there are great cars and sometimes there are buggers. Low miles don't always mean a car is in great shape.

I am currently driving a 2005 civic with 160k miles; its good for another 40k easy and i've never had any repairs done. i don't love it. and feel it's shameful to get rid of a perfectly good car.

but i am 50+ years old and commute 40 miles one way each day. it's been years since i've loved my ride, and I decided i deserve to have something to drive that i enjoy.

I live in Atlanta Georgia. am driving to South Carolina to look at the 2008 tomorrow. if you know of a good car for sale within 250 miles, please advise?

Thank you again for your feedback! Most appreciated.
I just purchased a 2006 Solstice base with 18,400 miles on it for $9,200. The car is absolutely MINT. I have 4cyl with five speed manual and for every day driving it is fine. Exhaust note is quiet but has a note to it, definitely not loud by any means. I love the beauty and simplicity of the car. You should have no problem finding a nice one for under 10K

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
You should expect an experience similar to any other modern car, not an experience similar to a 55 year old beater Camaro....even if such a vintage Camaro existed. General Motors simply wasn't making cars that felt like that in the 21st century. No car maker did or does. The Solstice you drove was worn out and is not the norm.

However, the ride is not plush in a Solstice. It's not a luxury car. The driver does sit almost on the rear axle. The body does not roll much at all. Also I would expect rubber isolation mounts on exhausts to start rotting from age which will make more noise. In a GXP, you might get some squeak from the suspension bushings in cooler weather. That is normal and is not a build flaw, it's a characteristic of the bushing material. Door latch strikers were known to produce a 'skritch' when new due to a problem with press fit, and the striker is right by your shoulder so it seems prominent sometimes. Some loctite retaining compound (not threadlocker) shuts them up for a season in my experience. Supposedly, replacements were made that solved that issue but my original GXP had them replaced twice under warranty.

The loud exhaust plus the bad ride makes me wonder if the car you drove ran something over or hopped a curb once upon a time, and suffered some damage underneath.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts