Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some interesting information concerning what people believe the Solstice Automatic Transmission will be (I'm not sure if it has been confirmed). I surfed around the net and gathered up some info...

Type : 5L40-E

Gear Ratios (1-5) : 3.42, 2.22, 1.6, 1.0, 0.75

Well-known Applications:
BMW x5:
3.0L 6 cyl 215hp

BMW 5-series:
3.0L 6 cyl 215hp

BMW Z3:
3.0L 6 cyl 225hp

Cadillac CTS:
3.6L DOHC V6 255HP

Cadillac STS:
3.6L DOHC V6 255HP

Chevy Nomad (Concept)
2.2L VVT Turbo Ecotec 250hp

Info:
  • BMW versions vary, some are "steptronic" and have a sport mode with aggressive tranny programming to hold the car in gear to provide engine braking and optimal acceleration out of turns, plus a fully "manumatic" mode for shifting, like the G6 has
  • Caddy versions have "sport" and "winter" modes aside from regular automatic
  • The Chevy Nomad concept had tapshift buttons like the grand prix GTP/GXP!
  • This tranny can handle up to around 250-260hp, and the same with the rear differential! (The whole thing is out of the Caddy CTS which has a 255hp v6!)
  • So as you can see there are many possible GOOD things that can come out of this automatic tranny. I guess it could even technically be used on the GXP. Lets hope the Solstice version of the 5L40 has useful modes like sport, and hopefully a fully shiftable mode (either button or stick operated)

Pictures:

• Heres a pic of the BMW z3 shifter out of an '02 (?) model, note the side where you slap it over into "+/-" mode and can rifle up and down through gears Click

• Heres a pic of the CTS shifter with the tranny mode buttons "sport" on the bottom and "winter" on the top, from an 04 model Click

If anyone wants to add more data, please post, and let me know what you guys think. And sorry the post is so big, but theres alot of info!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I'm not buying until next spring, and have always said that putting an auto in a car like this is missing the point.

But after a couple of days lately of 1-1/2 hour commutes in bumper to bumper traffic in my Ranger 5 speed, my left leg is cramping and I'm rethinking a little.

If it has taptronic or paddles, I doubt I'll be able to resist.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Automatic Sucks!!!

People who drive and produce automatic sports cars should be tarred and feathered. I cringe whenever I'm at a stop light and there's a beautiful Porsche with it's brake lights on. Anyone buying this car must love driving so how in the world can you buy an automatic?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Firehawk_FAN said:
Some interesting information concerning what people believe the Solstice Automatic Transmission will be (I'm not sure if it has been confirmed). I surfed around the net and gathered up some info...

If anyone wants to add more data, please post, and let me know what you guys think. And sorry the post is so big, but theres alot of info!
im not doubting you, just trying to make note for myself... what are your sources?

sol4soul said:
People who drive and produce automatic sports cars should be tarred and feathered. I cringe whenever I'm at a stop light and there's a beautiful Porsche with it's brake lights on. Anyone buying this car must love driving so how in the world can you buy an automatic?
i prefer stick, and i would never go with automatic if i couldnt help it, but there are some who feel exactly the opposite. theres no reason to spoil their choice of car based on how they want it to shift. let them drive it the way they want to!

:grouphug:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
swatthefly said:
theres no reason to spoil their choice of car based on how they want it to shift. let them drive it the way they want to!
:nono:
There is one big reason Not to have an automatic - do you want to pull up to a light, look over and see a 65 year old milk-shake driving your cool-ass car? Or (possibly even worse) some 16 year old rich brat, on their cell phone - who in no-way appreciates what this car means to you? :banghead:

If they don't appreciate driving (or this car) enough to learn how to drive a stick, there are plenty of other - mundane - cars out there that are equipped for their needs. :nopity:

I, for one, would prefer that they never produce an auto Solstice - let 'em buy Skys. :lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I actually wish Pontiac wouldn't even offer an automatic.

Ford Mustang Cobra - no auto offered
Honda S2000 - no auto offered
Subaru WRX STi - no auto offered
Mitsubishi EVO Lancer - no auto offered

You will never see some soccer mom, sitting stopped at a green light, digging through her purse in the passenger seat in any of the above cars.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
sol4soul said:
all you "purists" make me laugh. i went to automatic because the freeways in so cal are jammed 90% of the time and i got tired of shifting 1 or 2 gears up and down everytime the traffic moved a little. with an auto and a ragtop i enjoy the sun while waiting to move. and when the drive is more open i still enjoy a sporty handling car. i don't need to keep moving my right arm to feel good. todays automatics are a far cry of what was around a few decades ago. the only drivers who really "need" a manual are race car drivers. so hit the circuit if you are a real "purist". otherwise you sound like just another punk zipping in and out of traffic to show off. if you like the feel of a manual tran, more power to you. but this constantly telling people with autos that they are wasting a good sports car is really sounding trite. imho
btw i am getting a manual since autos aren't available and i don't want to wait. but not because i fear tarring and feathering. lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
RichSol said:
all you "purists" make me laugh. <snip>
the only drivers who really "need" a manual are race car drivers. <snip>
otherwise you sound like just another punk zipping in and out of traffic to show off.
:nopity:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
rotflmao

Detroit_Doc said:
the violin must be for you. i'm laughing, not whinning. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm not big on autoshift myself but my motto is drive what you can handle.Some people are left foot challenged.I compare driving an auto Solstice to an auto Harley :crazy: WHY??? They command you to go thru the gears,with the feeling that you are in command.Nuff said :cool:

·
Registered
381 Posts
MAKsys said:
I, for one, would prefer that they never produce an auto Solstice - let 'em buy Skys.
That actually isn't a bad idea, and might fit with the market positioning that GM has apparently planned for the 2 models.

I do feel bad for you folks who have bad traffic conditions.

Do we have any idea how strong the clutch springs are going to be in the Solstice? Perhaps it would be as much of an issue as it might seem.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The latest review said the clutch was "light." If the clutch is like the clutch in my Sunfire, my legs will never have any trouble in heavy traffic, I do get a little annoyed though after an hour or so :)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thanks for posting the results of your detective work, Firehawk FAN. I'm also wondering whose opinions these are (although they sound right to me).

You purists are funny. It's called an OPTIONAL automatic transmission. Obviously you don't remember the dark days of the mid seventies when Corvettes were only available with a 3 speed slush box that was the same as what was in your grandmother's Delta 88!

Although the Solstice has a lot of good things going for it, it's strongest single thing is it's looks. A lot of buyers will be getting it mainly for that reason and if an automatic tranny makes cruising the boulevard easier, they'll pay extra for it. Personally, I'm glad I'm not having to pay extra for the manual I want. But modern automatics have improved so much in the last decade or so that a slap shift with an aggressive torque converter might be almost as fast as a manual but with the option to let it shift for you.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...well said dd

DreamerDave said:
Thanks for posting the results of your detective work, Firehawk FAN. I'm also wondering whose opinions these are (although they sound right to me).

You purists are funny. It's called an OPTIONAL automatic transmission. Obviously you don't remember the dark days of the mid seventies when Corvettes were only available with a 3 speed slush box that was the same as what was in your grandmother's Delta 88!

Although the Solstice has a lot of good things going for it, it's strongest single thing is it's looks.
funny how this started as an info thread about possible automatics for the sol and turned into a "i hate automatics and people who drive them" rant. typical human nature i suppose. hate anything that is different than what you like. it's a car, and not even a race car. sounds like a few candidates for road rage! lighten up people.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You missed the point - since I have three automatics, I obviously don't hate them (or the prople who drive them). And for anyone who has to commute through nasty stop-and-go traffic, that sucks and you'd have to be awfully committed (or need to be committed :lol: ) to want to drive a stick.

My concern is that the car doesn't become everything to everyone - I'd like a little exclusivity (which if I had the money, could be purchased - ie: Vette, Viper,...). Maybe the miniscule trunk or the manual top will keep Grandma from buying one.

This is supposed to be a roadster, isn't it??

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't hate people that drive automatics, in some cases like in sedans I can see a purpose for it. But a car like a Solstice, Vette, Viper etc shouldn't have people driving with an automatic transmission. It's like bowling with bumpers, it takes fun out of it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts