Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I am hoping someone out there knows how to reset the airbag system.

Long story short, I install the new PPS and pad from the recall after talking the Service Manager into just giving me the part. But with my handheld OBDII scanner can't find where to reset the airbag system. And unplugging the battery overnight ~8hours didn't do it either. Any ideas on what to do here? I'm thankful they didn't get to jack with my baby anymore, but I'm afraid I've gotten myself into a pickle that might require a Tech2.

Long version is, I've had two really bad experiences getting recall work done at dealerships, the most recent of which was for the PPS recall. They had my car a day and a half, and all they did was connect to the OBDII port (I know because my heads up display which stays plugged in there was unplugged.....and because I left some candy in the rail of the seat so I would know if they took the seat out) and ordered a new PPS. I didn't cry to high hell when they called me to tell me that, I really didn't like the sound of a duct tape fix. Either way. when they called me to tell me that, they also mentioned they did a full inspection on the car and both belts were cracked and ready to go at any minute, of course looking for a sale. Problem is I was very specific about do not touch anything other than the recall work. I get the car home to look at the belts (I put one on within the last 6 months) to find both are just fine and the new one still looks pretty new. Then I find where they jacked with my headlights, they had cut a couple of zip ties holding some wiring that I still need to finish from my projector retrofit. So I'm over the dealerships. They call to tell me that my part has arrived and to bring my car back. I spend the evening before its supposed to go back completely removing the passenger seat and have the PPS and the pad sitting on top of the no longer bolted down seat where all they have to do is swap the pps and pad (they come as one piece), hook up the wire harness, and clear the airbag light. When I go in, I talk to the brand new Service Manager and tell him a little bit of whats happened. Tell him that they don't even have to turn a wrench, it should take 15 minutes or less literally, and ask if I can wait with the car while they do the work. Well sure I can, but I'll be there until at least tomorrow because I took them the car on Tuesday like they said, but they aren't going to work on it until wednesday, and there's no guarntee on what time or how long it will take. On a whim I ask if he can just give me the new part, I will install it, and he can mark it completed in their system so they get paid by GM. He actually goes for it. I give him the old PPS and pad, he hands me the new PPS and pad as he pulls them outta the box and says he has to keep the box (what do I care). I install the new PPS and pad, install the seat and hook up the wiring harnesses, but the airbag light and message remain.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Sorry, but you'll need access to a Tech II. Plus if your car has an older controller, they might need to replace that too.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I believe that only the dealer can reset the air bag light. It's one of the things that hasn't "leaked" out to the general on almost all cars for fear of litigation.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
A new PPS usually has to be calibrated before it will function. That requires a Tech2, as @TomatoSoup stated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was afraid I got myself in quite a pickle. Thank you for the solid info. I've been on the fence about buying a clone Tech2, any advice or insight?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW TomatoSoup, I have an 06 NA VIN#: 1G2MB33BX6Y110899 Im gonna go out on a limb and guess I'll need a controller. My Sol was early enough I had to purchase the acoustic headliner when I spotted one on ebay. Can you tell from the VIN, or basically look at the part or the communication device talking to it (Tech2, etc)?

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
I was afraid I got myself in quite a pickle. Thank you for the solid info. I've been on the fence about buying a clone Tech2, any advice or insight?
Buying a clone is a roll of the dice. You are dealing directly with China, and it took me two tries to get one that worked. They did replace the original, but it was a struggle. That said, my "clone" appears to be an actual Tech2, as it came with accessories and finished to a detail that I do not think would have been done with a mere clone. I have put it next to a "real" one and there is no difference.

An option is the VCX Nano that i also have, and that runs cracked Tech2 software on a PC. I have not had good luck with mine, but others have, and you should be able to find discussions here on the forum.

There are other options as well, but are generally more expensive, and require access to the diagnostic software.

BTW TomatoSoup, I have an 06 NA VIN#: 1G2MB33BX6Y110899 Im gonna go out on a limb and guess I'll need a controller. My Sol was early enough I had to purchase the acoustic headliner when I spotted one on ebay. Can you tell from the VIN, or basically look at the part or the communication device talking to it (Tech2, etc)?
I don't understand his comment about needing a new controller, except to say that some people have had their PPS replaced only to find out that they also had a problem with the airbag controller. I think it is a chance occurence and not necessarily related to age. Reading the codes (which requires the Tech2 / equivalent) will tell you if you have a controller problem. For what its worth, the real name of the airbag controller is the SDM: Sensing and Diagnostic Module.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Yeah, JR's is more correct than my statement about the controller. Mine needed a new one because (per the dealership) "the new pad is incompatible with the controller in your car". Mine's an '08, so not necessarily an 'older model' thing.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Yeah, JR's is more correct than my statement about the controller. Mine needed a new one because (per the dealership) "the new pad is incompatible with the controller in your car". Mine's an '08, so not necessarily an 'older model' thing.
That is odd, unless your cntroller had faulted and they didn't know quite what they were saying.
I have tested the communication with my early '07 and my mid-run '08 and not detected any difference between them.

The SDM lives in the middle of the car under the waterfall panel, so it is not trivial to replace.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Yeah - may have been them covering their asses over something they did. But it cost me another day away from my car :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is great info. I am guessing it probably did not need the controller. The dealership did hook up to the car and ran their diagnostics and they only ordered one part. Well, sure as I just said that I have to remember that these are the same people that told me "The AC belt and the power steering belt are both cracked and could go at any time." And also the same people that when I was very specific and told them they are only to do the recall work, proceeded to jack with my retrofitted headlights, and according to them do a full inspection on the car. If I am to believe they did a full inspection, and they only thing wrong was the belts, and they were just fine, can I then deduce that my car passed their 9,446,782 point inspection, or maybe it was a 10 point inspection, the 10 digits needed to dial my phone number and pretend to do some work that doesn't need to be done. SMH, I digress. Thank you again for the great info gentlemen. John, if I still lived in Louisville, I would have bought you dinner a few times already in hopes of courting you to use your Tech2 maybe clone on my car. I don't see me getting rid of this thing, in fact, I'm toying with also buying a GXP. I'm just scared of how far I will dive into another Sol. I have done a ton of work to my car. Most of it unnoticeable to the untrained eye, which is just how I like it. But Sol aficionados will be able to spot the changes that I have made all over the place. Have a great weekend fellas!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts