Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Could someone please help me find exactly what resistor to use for my Spider led tail lights so that the hyper flash doesn't cause me to pull all of my gray hair out? :cuss: These are the tail lights that I have:

2006 2007 2008 2009 Pontiac Solstice LED Light Bulbs for Taillamps Taillights Tail Lamps LEDs Lights

I have the led calculator but I can not find the typical forward voltage of the Spider led lights UGH

led Calculator
LED calculator for single LEDs

And where is a good place to purchase these inline resistors?
any and all help is very much apprecitaed

Thanks,Randy

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Could someone please help me find exactly what resistor to use for my Spider led tail lights so that the hyper flash doesn't cause me to pull all of my gray hair out?

I have the led calculator but I can not find the typical forward voltage of the Spider led lights UGH

And where is a good place to purchase these inline resistors?
any and all help is very much apprecitaed
That LED calculator is for driving LEDs. You need a resistor wired in parallel (i.e. across) your bulbs to draw more power than your LEDs do on their own. Basically if the BCM doesn't see enough power being drawn, it assumes the bulb filament is burnt out and so hyperflashes.

i think it's a 6Ω 50w resistor.
No, not really that low an impedance. You need to soak about 10W total (including that going thru your LEDs) to fool the BCM. Let's up that to 12W to be sure (and assuming a 12V supply) that's 1 amp. Applying ohms law 12V/1A = 12 ohms. (And that's not counting the power taken by the LEDs.) Thus, a 12 ohm power resistor at 18-20 watts (or more - again a margin of leeway) is all you need.

Checking on Digikey, this at $3.05 each, would suit. Plus another $3 shipping, will be under $10 for a pair, and a lot less load on your battery system than 6ohmer's. 12ohm 25watt | DigiKey

Note: you'll need to solder wires to these and splice those wires to/across the black wire and the wire that's green or yellow (NOT brown) in your taillight connector.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey this is great info and group!! Thank you all for taking the time to help me out and such fast replies!! I just ordered the resistors and CANT wait to stop the hyper-flash!!

Thanks TomatoSoup for the in depth info and education ;) I have not looked at the wiring yet but with the wires you mentioned just made my job easier ...lol

Thx All !!!

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
I bought my resistors (with heat sinks) at vleds.com. They only sell 2 resistor values but explain the difference (one is if you're only upgrading 1 end)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts