1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I have seen pictures, it looks good. What bad luck, he had just bought it. Engine quit. It has cleared California DMV and has a title. He has current license plates for the car.

No antifreeze in the crank case it sounds like. Possibly blown turbo cooler line? You experts can chime in on that.

If it was an auto, I most likely would have bought it Sunday.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Seller is asking $4,000. I asked if the car was bought w/a salvage title (waiting for a reply). At first I thought it was salvaged out because the motor is kaput, but unless it could be blamed on a manufacturer defect, I don't see a insurance company totaling a car out because they'd probable rule owner neglect.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
After talking with seller car has a clear title with salvage history. Basically making it a rebuilt. It can be titled and plated in any state. I told him I would post these images for him

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I am taking a shot in the dark on this. Really had no desire for a stick or this color, but I have a new engine setting in the garage that will go right in, so I bought it. Headed to Oakland Tuesday. Will give you an update when I get back.

It was hit in the front end, but all repaired and passed California inspection for retitle. Current plates issued, but title not in hand. It normally takes the state a month to get them to you.

It is amazing at what is totaled and what the values are on these cars. One place they are worth nothing, the other twice what you would ever think. Have been looking for something like this for awhile, was hoping for an auto and a lighter color, may paint it Hydro Blue.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am taking a shot in the dark on this. Really had no desire for a stick or this color, but I have a new engine setting in the garage that will go right in, so I bought it. Headed to Oakland Tuesday. Will give you an update when I get back.

It was hit in the front end, but all repaired and passed California inspection for retitle. Current plates issued, but title not in hand. It normally takes the state a month to get them to you.

It is amazing at what is totaled and what the values are on these cars. One place they are worth nothing, the other twice what you would ever think. Have been looking for something like this for awhile, was hoping for an auto and a lighter color, may paint it Hydro Blue.
Or you could paint it Bluestone!!! :devil::thumbs:

·
Registered
143 Posts
4k sounds very cheap. but if you have a shop do the work it may cost 4k to repair it ! and then you have 8k in a salvage title car ! not worth it ,

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Congrats Skers, here's a similar story, it was painted Camaro Snergy Green, totally popped and looked as if it could have been a SKY OEM color. Took the pic this week at the Annual Michigan Kappa Club 2015 Woodward Dream Cruise.

Camaro Snergy Green SKY

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
The car was purchased for less, and I can do the install of the new engine. May decide to have done though. Also the Hydro Blue has been discussed. Will not rebadge this one. I spoke with Dave at DDM, he said he would have raced me to Oakland it he was out here.

Things I have learned, wheels are perfect, could use tires, top is like new and appears to have been garage kept. Paint and interior are good/excellent, has a cracked windshield, but I have a new Opel windshield I can put in the Skpel and put mine in this one, possibly.

Someone suggested that the engine may not be blown, but a turbo line blown, but I am going on it is destroyed. I have a 2009 GXP engine with less than 100 miles to drop in it.

Trying to get ducks in line to leave Monday morning, as we have a Sky/Solstice run in San Diego on Sunday. Just got back from Oakland this Monday. Not my favorite drive

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Ran the VIN# and it has been serviced at a local dealership. The history shows no major mechanical problems, top/tulip doors have been replaced and the console cover. No warnings of impending engine failure. Last seen at the dealer ship at 74K. I think it was decided there that the car was totaled.

Plans have changed, leaving in the morning to pick it up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me (especially since you have a motor with no home. I think I'd take a long look at the current motor prior to doing the transplant.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I drove to Oakland yesterday and bought the car. A little rougher than the pictures showed. Most of the front end is missing bracing stuff, will need to figure that out. Doing a compression test later today. .

Worst part is, it belonged to a smoker, it almost gags me to set in. Fabreeze is your friend I guess, Off to buy barrels of it. Appearance wise the interrior looks good overall

Top is perfect, but cigarette smell embedded I am sure. Seats look good, very good. But the driver air bag has deployed it appears or the sensors were not put back in. DIC says service air bag. Will figure that out tomorrow hopefully.

Fenders are both toast, but I could see that on one of the pictures I got. The battery was gone, bought a new one yesterday, to check the DIC. The steering wheel looks absolutely terrible, looks to be way more miles, so I think they replaced the blown air bag wheel with an older one.

Body work that has been done is not perfect by any means. Will most likely start over with a new hood and all bracing. Headlights are perfect, but missing the air duct for the passenger brake I think.

Anyone with extra front bracing, lower air dam, front and back. let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I drove to Oakland yesterday and bought the car. A little rougher than the pictures showed. Most of the front end is missing bracing stuff, will need to figure that out. Doing a compression test later today. .

Worst part is, it belonged to a smoker, it almost gags me to set in. Fabreeze is your friend I guess, Off to buy barrels of it. Appearance wise the interrior looks good overall

Top is perfect, but cigarette smell embedded I am sure. Seats look good, very good. But the driver air bag has deployed it appears or the sensors were not put back in. DIC says service air bag. Will figure that out tomorrow hopefully.

Fenders are both toast, but I could see that on one of the pictures I got. The battery was gone, bought a new one yesterday, to check the DIC. The steering wheel looks absolutely terrible, looks to be way more miles, so I think they replaced the blown air bag wheel with an older one.

Body work that has been done is not perfect by any means. Will most likely start over with a new hood and all bracing. Headlights are perfect, but missing the air duct for the passenger brake I think.

Anyone with extra front bracing, lower air dam, front and back. let me know.
I talked to OP about this car and was thinking seriously about the purchase................the transportation issue was the big draw back. Glad now I didn't, although it was a good buy, but from your description it is more of a "project" then I expected from his description. I was told it originally had rear end damage but it sounds like that was in error. If the bags were replaced and it has the service airbag light most likely the module needs to be replaced or reprogrammed. Do the seat belts work? Not sure what bracing you are talking about, is it the small rods that run from the front bumper support to the frame, if so I may have them along with the cooling tube and airbag module.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
1100 miles in a day, loading the car, setting dead stopped on the freeway for 2 hours caught up today. Took a nice long nap.

I did not pay the 3500, I just couldn't after seeing it. It looks very good in the pictures, in person somewhat rougher. Being a non smoker my whole life, the wife to, and it being her daily driver, it has to be perfect. We live on a very twisty mountain road. And she tests everything.

He really does not know much about the cars. He felt bad that I had driven all that way to be disappointed in what I saw.

The good thing, is it is through the inspection, has a title and registration. So in a month or two when I get it on the road it will be an easy swap.

Bear in mind, I am like all of you, very picky about my cars.

Good points the rear end looks perfect, CV's no tears or leakage. Exhaust system looks good, trunk is a mess, inside carpet/liner is destroyed. Not sure what I can do about that. The hood lining is garbage. Checking with RK for a hood, DDM for the fenders. Front bumper appears to have been replaced. The foam rubber under it, was not, impacted end is gone.

I guess the good part is I have to pull all the front end off to do the engine swap, so will figure exactly what I need then.

Anyway a long day of cleaning it tomorrow to try and get rid of the cigarette smell. If I can't, it will be for sale as a parts car or will gut it and make a track car out of it.

I really have no idea Hoosier, the drive side of the bumper moves up and down a good two inches. Nothing under. I need the lower dam for sure, may have been some of the reason for overheating. I will get pictures of mine and then of this one, to try and show what is missing.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
A new trunk liner is pretty cheap. Last time I checked about $65 plus shipping

I just bought a front air dam for my car. Not expensive either.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Skersfan, did you use any car checking services to determine why it was salvaged? That might give you some further insight into its history. BTW, because different car checking services can report different histories it's suggested to use more than one car checking service.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
No I didn't. Honestly went off the pictures, not a good idea.

I did run the VIN# and it showed Salvage/Rebuilt
No major issues with the car, had been serviced by the dealer.
Preferred customer status (what ever the heck that means)
But I think it all went to heck when it was wrecked.

Who would you suggest, no reason not to find out all I can.

But the whole front end comes off soon, will see the damage. One of the ears on the front of the frame is dented in it appears, but no bends or cracked welds. We have a frame machine, and my mechanic says he can fix it after looking at pictures. I think the main problem is that they put it back together, with out the braces. May not have even connected the sensors if there still there.

Cleaning the pig today, trying to get the smoker's smell out of it. Putting a winch in my trailer so I can take it where it needs to go. Have to build a real engine stand for the new engine so I can get it down to the shop, and a place to house the blown one. Will find out tomorrow how bad the old one is. I will rebuild it if possible.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Where did you find them Rob? Ebay?
Made the rounds of on line sources and picked the least expensive.

I am going to modify my air dam which is why I bought a new one. Going to cut it up and build a wider air dam

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I have decided to put the new engine in the car. Cleaned it up today and it looks better than I thought it would. Seems I got most of the cigarette smell out of it, but could not run the heater/AC so will have to deal with that after the engine is done.

Having them fix the front end as they have to take it off to replace the engine. Doing the clutch at the same time. May look at the DDM short shifter set up. Not sure what the general consensus on that mod is.

HoosierGXP thinks he has the front bumper support items, which I truly appreciate. Will work on that list in the next couple of days.

Carpet cleaned up quite well, trunk area was not quite as bad as it looked. The top has had something sprayed on it to make it look new, but it is in pretty good shape either way. Seats are near perfect, the passenger seat does not look to have been used hardly at all.

The steering wheel looks bad, so that will be replaced. I removed my Saturn airbag complete and put in the Opel GT one, so I have a nearly new airbag for the wheel. All new controls came with the new steering wheel.

It has some off brand tires on it, not sure, but have tires and wheels if need be. Wheels look to be in very good shape, no scrapes or dings, but need a little loving care.

Rotors look good, will check the brakes while the engine is being done.

It does have the 6 CD Monsoon system, sport pedals. No fly swatter or toneau set up, which I am happy about.

The driver side door plate is missing, but will just order Wind Restrictor ones.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts