Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Solstice, 2.4L 5 Speed, Dark Gray with a good looking dude behind the wheel. (My Son)
224 Posts
You are correct, and not confused at all, apparently. There is no trunk access with the top in place.
Okie Dokie. That settles that. ;)

Rams

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Honestly I only ever use the trunk to stow the soft top so don’t think I will miss it.
In fact my plan was to stow the soft top away in there with the hard top on.
If I had a nice clean place to store the soft top I
would take it out (weight savings) but after pondering it for a bit makes sense to leave it in there.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm a bit confused about this. How does one access the trunk with this top? Appears to not accessible without removing that hardtop.

Rams
I was planning on ending up with “knobs” tightening it down front and rear. From that perspective it would be a similar operation to removing the hard top on the Jeep.

to my knowledge there has never been a hard top that allows one to open the trunk for the Sol.
The Coupe has a hatch, but obviously a very different beast and at least with this top I can relatively easily go back to convertible seasonally.

that will also have the benefit of keeping my soft top out of the elements for as long as I have the hard top on…
(I don’t have a garage big enough for the car)

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
There was this one.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Snow

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Built by the same guy who built the one for the wild Castrol Oil Sol. Last I read the car had fallen on hard times.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting

Also, years ago Smoothline considered offering a 2 piece CR hardtop and posted this pic to the forum. The white line shows where it would have been split. However I do not know if this was just a concept or a working model since they never posted any other pics. Not enough members expressed interest in it so SL abandoned the idea.
Tire Automotive parking light Car Wheel Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
2008 Solstice, 2.4L 5 Speed, Dark Gray with a good looking dude behind the wheel. (My Son)
224 Posts
Honestly I only ever use the trunk to stow the soft top so don’t think I will miss it.
In fact my plan was to stow the soft top away in there with the hard top on.
If I had a nice clean place to store the soft top I
would take it out (weight savings) but after pondering it for a bit makes sense to leave it in there.
HH,
I'm not condemning the project in anyway, it's your baby and your decision to do as you wish. The massive trunk on a Solstice doesn't hold much anyway, The Solstice is a fun car to drive, I assure you, I enjoy mine. I ticked off my wife the other day when it started to rain and I refused to stop to put the top up. I like the wind, that's why I have two Valkyrie motorcycles. We all personalize our passions, go for it.

Rams

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There was this one.
View attachment 117788
View attachment 117789

Built by the same guy who built the one for the wild Castrol Oil Sol. Last I read the car had fallen on hard times.
View attachment 117791 View attachment 117792

Also, years ago Smoothline considered offering a 2 piece CR hardtop and posted this pic to the forum. The white line shows where it would have been split. However I do not know if this was just a concept or a working model since they never posted any other pics. Not enough members expressed interest in it so SL abandoned the idea.
View attachment 117790
Thanks for the photos ChopTop.

Not an Edag guy personally so the first two don’t appeal to me.
The Smoothline could have been interesting but it appears that project isnt the only thing he abandoned :(

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts
Thanks for the photos ChopTop.

Not an Edag guy personally so the first two don’t appeal to me.
The Smoothline could have been interesting but it appears that project isnt the only thing he abandoned :(
It is not clear to me whether you think the pictures posted are of the EDAG top, or if it is close enough and you don't like that style.
Either way, here are some pictures of the EDAG top for the Solstice:
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

And one of the EDAG top for the Sky:
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle

As a note of potential interest, there was only ever one of the Sky tops made, and it sold to a guy in the Atlanta area for something like $20k.

I have one of the Solstice tops, and ne f my pending projects is to see what it will take to adapt it to the Sky. So far it looks pretty extensive.

I always thought that Smoothline missed the boat with the top that you have, and that they should have follwed the EDAG model of removing the decklid so that their top could include a "normal" trunk lid.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I always thought that Smoothline missed the boat with the top that you have, and that they should have follwed the EDAG model of removing the decklid so that their top could include a "normal" trunk lid.
I tend to agree but, willingly admit that I don't understand why anyone would buy a convertible so they could make it into a hardtop but, that's just me. I specifically bought my Solstice after selling my T Top Fiero because I sincerely wanted an open cockpit. But, to each their own. Enjoy and personalize it. You really only have to please yourself. (y)
Rams

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It is not clear to me whether you think the pictures posted are of the EDAG top, or if it is close enough and you don't like that style.
Either way, here are some pictures of the EDAG top for the Solstice:
View attachment 117796 View attachment 117797 View attachment 117798

And one of the EDAG top for the Sky:
View attachment 117799
I appreciate the EDAG tops for what they are, just not my personal taste. The one off flip top that ChopTop posted has the same Edag “vibe” for me, thus not of my personal tastes. Hope that clarifies my response :)

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I tend to agree but, willingly admit that I don't understand why anyone would buy a convertible so they could make it into a hardtop but, that's just me. I specifically bought my Solstice after selling my T Top Fiero because I sincerely wanted an open cockpit. But, to each their own. Enjoy and personalize it. You really only have to please yourself. (y)
Rams
The removable hard top gets me three things:
1) it allows me to extend the life of my soft top as I don’t have a garage and no matter how meticulous I have been this last year in maintaining it, the sun is a mother here in LA and I have noticed it’s detrimental effects.

2) it’s removable. So I can have the vert experience or not. All it takes is a half hour switcheroo. Since I already have a ceiling hoist for the Jeep, it will be easy to do and store when off.

3) it’s a project I can tinker with. I like smaller, hands on projects :)

also for me, I never use the trunk. The way I drive the car and what I use it for means lack of access makes no difference to me. I understand those that drive longer distances or go on trips with the car, this would be an issue. Don’t see that happening in my near future.

I would have preferred the look of the club racer version but beggars can’t be choosers and this was the one I was able to acquire.
Really bummed they appear to be out of business as that means there are no options for a new hardtop except (maybe) Norms race version which doesn’t come with windows or seals and is simply intended to sit over a roll cage for track days.

lastly, in this politically charged world, one must be careful where one “pleases themselves” Rams, just sayin!

:)

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,545 Posts
as for me..and my sliver 06, I didnt buy it for the fold up top,I wish it didnt have the fold up top.I bought it for the rest of the cars styling. the top has been down 2 times. thus. I now also have a coupe. I ho however agree thet the top should of come with a 3/4 trunk lid so the trunk was still axsessable. witch is what I would do if I had one of those tops. I also have the edag top for my 06 someday..it may even get on it.or not. and finaly for mr gadget...use a good car cover or 2 of them. my 06 stays in the half enclosed car port with 2 car covers on it. florida sun is about what the californai sun is...Im a transplant been there done that.

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts
Rams
Because they didn't buy a convertible, they bought a sporty two-seater.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The removable hard top gets me three things:
1) it allows me to extend the life of my soft top as I don’t have a garage and no matter how meticulous I have been this last year in maintaining it, the sun is a mother here in LA and I have noticed it’s detrimental effects.

2) it’s removable. So I can have the vert experience or not. All it takes is a half hour switcheroo. Since I already have a ceiling hoist for the Jeep, it will be easy to do and store when off.

3) it’s a project I can tinker with. I like smaller, hands on projects :)

also for me, I never use the trunk. The way I drive the car and what I use it for means lack of access makes no difference to me. I understand those that drive longer distances or go on trips with the car, this would be an issue. Don’t see that happening in my near future.

I would have preferred the look of the club racer version but beggars can’t be choosers and this was the one I was able to acquire.
Really bummed they appear to be out of business as that means there are no options for a new hardtop except (maybe) Norms race version which doesn’t come with windows or seals and is simply intended to sit over a roll cage for track days.

lastly, in this politically charged world, one must be careful where one “pleases themselves” Rams, just sayin!

Sounds like it works for you and that's all that matters.
Reference that other thing, although I do try, I'm apparently not the most PC person on this or any other local. Didn't mean to offend, sometimes I should just keep my trap shut.

Rams

·
Registered
224 Posts
Because they didn't buy a convertible, they bought a sporty two-seater.
A convertible sporty two-seater but, yeah.

Rams

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Sounds like it works for you and that's all that matters.
Reference that other thing, although I do try, I'm apparently not the most PC person on this or any other local. Didn't mean to offend, somethings I should just keep my trap shut.

Rams
Was joking Rams :)

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,545 Posts
life is full of compramizers. just because you dont get exzactly what you wanted and only that does not mean that you did not get xzactly what you wanted. or just what you wanted.with some extras. it's all a matter of perspective, spelling and punctuation. and compromise. thats life. I got exzactly what I wanted - the gxp emblems and power.but I still have what I wanted.

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts

One of the reasons that I have the EDAG top is to use it to explore the options of using it as a pattern for making a proper top-wth-trunk option.

Reactions: HHGadget

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
as for me..and my sliver 06, I didnt buy it for the fold up top,I wish it didnt have the fold up top.I bought it for the rest of the cars styling. the top has been down 2 times. thus. I now also have a coupe. I ho however agree thet the top should of come with a 3/4 trunk lid so the trunk was still axsessable. witch is what I would do if I had one of those tops. I also have the edag top for my 06 someday..it may even get on it.or not. and finaly for mr gadget...use a good car cover or 2 of them. my 06 stays in the half enclosed car port with 2 car covers on it. florida sun is about what the californai sun is...Im a transplant been there done that.
I have one. It's nice but.. the car is black and i live on the edge of a 40 acre corn field that tends to be more of a 40 acre dirt field (bizzare in Los Angeles I know, but there you have it). I pretty much have to wash, dry, polish and cover it. The moment i take the cover off and drive, the car gets covered in dust and other various LA road crap which makes me hesitant to put the cover back on before washing all the scratchy dust off first.

I am really fortunate to live in a big city and have no one in my "back yard", but yeah the trade off is dusty Mcdusterson for days :)

Here is a sunset pic of my back yard. (Actually owned by the Army Corps of Engineers as part of the Sepulveda Flood Basin and leased to the last farmer in Los Angeles). Keep in mind i am 6 blocks from the 101 which is as busy and congested as it gets for traffic.

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant Natural landscape

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have one. It's nice but.. the car is black and i live on the edge of a 40 acre corn field that tends to be more of a 40 acre dirt field (bizzare in Los Angeles I know, but there you have it). I pretty much have to wash, dry, polish and cover it. The moment i take the cover off and drive, the car gets covered in dust and other various LA road crap which makes me hesitant to put the cover back on before washing all the scratchy dust off first.

I am really fortunate to live in a big city and have no one in my "back yard", but yeah the trade off is dusty Mcdusterson for days :)

Here is a sunset pic of my back yard. (Actually owned by the Army Corps of Engineers as part of the Sepulveda Flood Basin and leased to the last farmer in Los Angeles). Keep in mind i am 6 blocks from the 101 which is as busy and congested as it gets for traffic.

View attachment 117800
Nice!! (y)

Rams

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Nice!! (y)

Rams
Thanks, i get to pretend i don't live in a big city when i am home, then head out the front door and chase the dollar for work.

Like most people that live here for a long time, i do look forward to retirement (also open to winning the lottery sooner) and being away from the big city noise, smell, crime and traffic.
Hopefully someday on a lake. A place that has seasons and weather.. With a barn or so of space for cars and a boat and a lift and a workshop and a wood shop and and and... :)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts