Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bill,

I've not received my back up one either, but it's coming direct from Sweden so I'm not worried. It was about 3 weeks on the initial order.

Bob,

I'll look that list back up and get a note to you this weekend. I won't be installing the new reservoir until I get the rest of the brake pieces in hand. Debating replacing the calipers since rotors, lines, pads and the brake reservoir will be all new. The "93" reservoir comes with new grommets and a cap. The cap is much stouter according to Matt. The thread seems to be different from the stock reservoir. I don't think you will be disappointed. I'm thinking of ordering a stock reservoir just to double check everything.

Thank you,
Richard
UPDATE: emailed Matt and he said that mine was included in the order coming in from Sweden and would be probably about 2 weeks +
Bill

·
Registered
174 Posts
Received! I'm excited to get this installed, although last weekend I was at VIR and didn't have any fluid leaking out, probably because the track is not very brake intensive.

Does anyone have the instructions for how to bleed the clutch cylinder once you have the old reservoir off? I don't have the FSM.

Also, can we reuse the pins holding the reservoir on or do we need to find new pins?

Thanks!

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Bleeding the clutch consists of pumping the pedal a zillion times. (That is the actual procedure from the FSM, aside from the use of the word "zillion.")

If you're only replacing the reservoir, and are on level ground and very careful, you might be able to swap the new one in, fill it with fluid, and bleed the brakes as normal.

MAYBE.

Most likely, you'll need to bench-bleed the master.

(Meh. I'm just guessing here.)

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
You shouldn't have to bleed anything if all you are doing is changing the reservoir. The clutch master cylinder sits below the reservoir, so it won't drain unless you drain it for some reason. Even then, the slave and its hose will still be full of fluid.

If for some reason you do have an empty master cylinder, leave the slave cylinder line off and put a small cup under the port. When you fill the reservoir let the fluid start to drip out of the port, then plug in the hose. You can then bleed the small amount of air in just a few pedal strokes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks! I was hoping to just pop the new reservoir on, fill it and then pressure bleed with my motive bleeder, assuming the cap fits. It sounds like this will work?

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
It should. Just don't worry about the clutch, as it really will take care of itself.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I just received my new reservoir and have only opened the box and looked at it; haven't compared it with the stock.

a couple of thoughts tho… this reservoir will not solve any heat expansion of the fluid if it is filled to the max line as the max line is very high on the side and will not take much to overflow it; would have to fill somewhere between the min/max to provide room for expansion OR get the filler neck extension to provide more room. hopefully the extra capacity would make it possible to fill to a lower level.....

on the plus side, just looking in from the top, it is highly baffled and should mitigate sloshing problems.

Bill

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Good to hear they are being delivered

The one I got and posted a photo of is the exact GMPP reservoir. Right now my brake change over is looking like a summer project so anyone who goes ahead with installation, please post photos. The 93170487 Torx securing screw is not included. You should be able to use the one you remove or order a new one from Matt. I just checked and they are a whopping $.93 with 17 in stock. NOTHING for this car is under a dollar, even the air in the tires!

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine was to be delivered a couple of weeks ago. I emailed them to check the status and they sent me a refund.

No explanation, just the refund. VERY STRANGE.

Larry.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Information please...

Those of us who ordered these reservoirs...have you received them...and all the related parts? If you ordered recently and were refunded, where did you place the order? esaabparts.com was the place that I found the reservoir. There is another Saab place out there who has not clue or wants to be bothered.

I did get a call from Matt at eSaabParts when they came in. He was extremely concerned. Saab sent them in SAAB boxes, not the GM box of the test order we placed where the reservoir came complete with cap, grommets and level arm. The new shipment came only with the bare reservoir. He had priced the reservoir as initially received since the total for all the individual parts would have doubled the cost easily. He said he had caps in stock, had located the grommets but the level arm would have to be ordered and it's price alone was $37.48 His intent was to make good on the order but it would be at a loss. It appeared Saab had removed the level sensor arm, cap and grommets from the set and shipped only the bare reservoir.

It would be a shame to see this go away again when it is actually available.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
as said previously, I received mine from the Sweden order but I haven't checked to see what is included. my presumption is that any parts not included can be swapped from the original reservoir
Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ordered through ESAABPARTS. I'd be willing to pony up for the full cost of this item if they could put together a complete "kit".

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
More...

Bill,

Please check, as the level sensor is different. Elecrical connection is the same, but on an actuating arm. Only the pass through retaining screw is reused, to the best of my knowledge, looking at the 93172093 and the stock reservoir on the car. I believe in the threads on this I included an illustrated parts breakdown with individual part numbers.

porky133,

Send Matt at esaabparts.com an email to that effect, please. I think he is pretty bummed about trying to put this together and what Saab Parts Europe did.

Richard

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This is good...

Bill,

That is great. It is complete. Matt added the cap, grommets and the level sensor arm. All he got from Saab on the order was a bare reservoir. The one in the GM box initially received was fully loaded had the grommets separate in a bag. If you have a manual transmission car you will have to cut the tip to open it up for the clutch fluid hose. Otherwise it fits an automatic transmission car as it is made.

It's good to be getting this chapter of the hunt closed. I hope Matt will order for others but it will probably be twice what these were listed at. He has high integrity and is customer focused, in my opinion. I hope it works as you wish.

Richard

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bill,

That is great. It is complete. Matt added the cap, grommets and the level sensor arm. All he got from Saab on the order was a bare reservoir. The one in the GM box initially received was fully loaded had the grommets separate in a bag. If you have a manual transmission car you will have to cut the tip to open it up for the clutch fluid hose. Otherwise it fits an automatic transmission car as it is made.

It's good to be getting this chapter of the hunt closed. I hope Matt will order for others but it will probably be twice what these were listed at. He has high integrity and is customer focused, in my opinion. I hope it works as you wish.

Richard
my purchase was "an itch to scratch" kinda thing; I really don't have a performance need for it. (mine is an automatic 09 2.4 coupe with about 3K miles)
Bill

21 - 40 of 76 Posts