Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up an 07 manual gxp that swallowed animals through the front bumper(I believe twice). There are a number of other issues with missfires, non working window regulators, and possibly some more issues. Obviously needs a new intercooler and there are not too many options. Ordered one that might be almost a direct fit from cx racing. Also did some repairs from the back side of the bumper and installed the stainless grilles for now. Have hp tuners already, so tuning might come once I am sure motor is still in decent shape.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Welcome to the forum... get that baby boosting and back on the road!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome.
Installed new spark plugs and swapped coils around to see if missfire will go away or move. Getting ready to upload a tune(have hp tuners) and get better charge pipes/intercooler installed. Both of those will be relatively major projects due to low budget. Also got a spare stock cat to modify for cat delete.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
You should be able to find a stage tune for our car on the hptuners forum as well as all the info you might need to customize it if you wish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should be able to find a stage tune for our car on the hptuners forum as well as all the info you might need to customize it if you wish.
Got it tuned yesterday. On stock tires, no bite in 1st or 2nd gear, but 3rd pulls nicely. I am sure there are some enhancements that I can add to the tune but it is ok for now. I used another tuned gxp as a baseline. It was a matter on giving up some credits, as I use hp tuners to tune my ls swapped 89 TA

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I might be in for a water pump change. Decent coolant puddle after coming back from work under the engine

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The leak stopped and have not showed up so far. Will leave it alone for now. Really need to get the suspension sorted. Looking for the brace bundle and already have new struts to install.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You sure it was coolant? Not just A/C condensation (I know it may be a bit early for A/C use - but I don't know where you live :))
smells and feels like coolant, right under the front of the engine with bottom of engine stained followed with low coolant in the reservoir. But it have not leaked again so far. I was hoping it was the ac, but no luck. Thought maybe was overfilled, but then it should dump from the reservoir instead.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
smells and feels like coolant, right under the front of the engine with bottom of engine stained followed with low coolant in the reservoir. But it have not leaked again so far.
Crud. From what I've seen it's just a matter of time before your water pump gives way completely. The leaks come and go until they don't (go). :(

BUT, if you're handy with tools, it's not an expensive repair. However, if you have to take it somewhere to get it done, then it IS an expensive repair.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crud. From what I've seen it's just a matter of time before your water pump gives way completely. The leaks come and go until they don't (go). :(

BUT, if you're handy with tools, it's not an expensive repair. However, if you have to take it somewhere to get it done, then it IS an expensive repair.
Looking at the process it appears to be pretty simple. Hold the timing with a tool, then just swap out the old pump. If I end up pulling the turbo to get better access, an upgraded turbo will go back in.

·
Registered
159 Posts

BUT, if you're handy with tools, it's not an expensive repair. However, if you have to take it somewhere to get it done, then it IS an expensive repair.[/QUOTE

Yeah, what he said, I just had mine done at a local dealership ... 1,100+ dollars.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

BUT, if you're handy with tools, it's not an expensive repair. However, if you have to take it somewhere to get it done, then it IS an expensive repair.[/QUOTE

Yeah, what he said, I just had mine done at a local dealership ... 1,100+ dollars.
My water pump budget is $100, $1100 budget is for a turbo upgrade. Still trying to check on different turbo option to get me a good street/daily friendly 360whp or so.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Got it tuned yesterday. On stock tires, no bite in 1st or 2nd gear, but 3rd pulls nicely. I am sure there are some enhancements that I can add to the tune but it is ok for now. I used another tuned gxp as a baseline. It was a matter on giving up some credits, as I use hp tuners to tune my ls swapped 89 TA
The trick with saving credits is to use the HPT VCM Editor to copy the differences from your "new" tune over to your "old" tune. Save it, and write that to the car. You don't have to spend two sets of credits for one car.

The HP Tuners site has some decent information. See https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_editor_compare.htm

Once you've got the comparison view open, there's an option to copy all of the differences over. Make sure you keep a backup somewhere. (I just emailed my original to myself.)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts