Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictures will come later. Probably tonight.

I had first seen the Solstice at a car show in St. Louis in January of '05 (feb?). As soon as I saw it I fell in love with it. I figured that it would be one of those things that I would always want an never own. Then the pitch man stated that the base model would retail for just under $20k and it would be fully loaded for around $25k. That's when my jaw dropped and I said to myself and my father (who was with me at the show) that I would be getting one of those. Period.

7 months later I took delivery of Solstice number 111 of 1000.

I ordered a Mysterious with A/C, black leather, power package, cruise, LSD, ABS, monsoon, pretty much everything except OnStar, XM, and the smokers package.

My Solstice is absolutely beautiful. There are no fit or finish issues whatsoever. The styling of this car really puts it in a class all by itself.

It only takes a few hours to get used to not having an unlock switch on the door. It really doesn't bother me all that much. Would it be nice to have? Yeah, I guess so, but I wouldn't even call it a detractor.

Power is a little harder for me to judge. I went from a 1999 Pontiac Firehawk with about 340HP to the solstice with 177HP. I think the solstice is best described as being "peppy". It has some get up and go, but there are definite lulls in power when shifting. Now this may be because I have had v8 F-bodies for the last 8 years or so. There you have power in just about every gear except 6th.

I think an extra 40-50 HP would do this car wonders. Still, it's amazingly fun to drive. When people say that it handles like a go cart they aren't kidding. Extremely tight turns with almost no body roll at all.

The car shifts really well. The short throw shifter is a joy to change gears. Clutch is firm but not hard.

The top is easy to operate and takes about as much time as it does to take the T-Tops off an F-Body like the camaro or firebird.

One thing that pleasantly suprised me is the quality of the leather. I was expecting similar leather to what I had in the '99 firehawk, which is kind of plastic fealing. Not so in the Solstice. This leather reminds me more of the leather in a CTS. Very smooth to the touch. And damn, are those seats comfortable. They hold you just right.

The tilt on the wheel is nice, but it would be better if it tilted up some more. I'm only 5'9" and about 190. Average. But the wheel kind of gets in the way of the instraments. And my seat is almost all the way back.

Trunk space is obviously limited as has been noted all over the boards. I can deal with it.

One cool feature is the way they designed the trunk leakage drain. It's hard to explain here, but if you want to see what I'm talking about I'll take a good picture of it.

Overall, the Solstice is a little bit more then I expected. I am extremely happy with my purchase and I have no doubt this car line will be around for a while.

·
Registered
576 Posts
:willy: Incredible! I am so happy for you! :yesnod: Glad you have your car and you are obviously enjoying it. My car had a delvery date of 8/29 but it is still not here yet, but I love to see that some are being delivered and enjoyed :party:

·
Registered
64 Posts
It sounds like you are really enjoying your car. I look forward to seeing your picts.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks for the review Primus :thumbs:

Not getting the drain thing?

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Thanks for the review. I was told today that my car has yet to ship. It's two weeks over it's original delivery date. If it weren't for the few of you who have your cars and who so graciously are sharing your thoughts and experiences, I think I would go crazy. Thanks again!!! :willy:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congrats Primus. Still waiting for mine to be built, evidently mine will be in the 800s or 900s. As I wait it's fun to read about others enjoying theirs. Have a great time.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks for the review! I am sure we will have similar experiences. Since I am going from a 6000lb 4x4 V-8 truck to the Sol it will probably feel down right quick in comparison!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Glad to hear it's what you expected. Congrats on the ride! Can't wait for mine to be built..............prob 1000 :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Primus said:
Pictures will come later. Probably tonight.

One cool feature is the way they designed the trunk leakage drain. It's hard to explain here, but if you want to see what I'm talking about I'll take a good picture of it.

Overall, the Solstice is a little bit more then I expected. I am extremely happy with my purchase and I have no doubt this car line will be around for a while.
Congrats and enjoy the ride! I went to a Ride & Drive last week and saw the trunk drainage system. It is a very clever arrangement. Wondering if it works as well as they say?

I sat in several test vehicles and I agree that the fit and finish exceeded my expectations for a car in this price range.

I also was told that the air compressor has flat-fix built in and you must replace the canister after use. Not sure how many tires is considered a use?

Can't wait for mine to be built!

Best of luck... :cool:

G

·
On the way home today, I was behind a Mercedes Benz SL500 Convertible. The back window was plastic. Our $20K+ Solstice has a glass window! :thumbs:

Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
137 Posts
BadAzSolstice said:
On the way home today, I was behind a Mercedes Benz SL500 Convertible. The back window was plastic. Our $20K+ Solstice has a glass window! :thumbs:

Thanks for the review.
Yea and I was told that it is 5mm thick versus 4mm on the competition!

:cool:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a few more miles on the car I came to some ammended conclusions.

The car has good power. It turned out that you just have to take the RPMs higher then I'm used to before you shift. With the Firehawk I could shift when you reached around 3500-4000 RPMs and have good power at the next gear. With the Solstice you have to take it a little higher if you are looking for speed. Not too far though. You don't have to take it close to redline or anything like that, but you need to get the RPMs up a bit.

Also the Monsoon system sounded really really good tonight for some reason. I'm not sure why. I threw in my "Complete Metallica" MP3 disc at it was rocking pretty seriously.

G

·
Primus said:
Also the Monsoon system sounded really really good tonight for some reason. I'm not sure why. I threw in my "Complete Metallica" MP3 disc at it was rocking pretty seriously.
Oh man, seriously?? Metal sounds good on the Monsoon? That is great news, because I am a metal head. I bet I can guess a weakness of the systerm though. It can't make St. Anger sound good. :lol:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fortimir said:
w00t!

You are almost the same size as me AND ordered the EXACT same options.
Me too. the same options/colors, height. but weight? no, luckily I'm a little lighter! ;)

·
2,574 Posts
mceb said:
Thanks for the review Primus :thumbs:

Not getting the drain thing?
Excelsior or Primus can we get a little more discussion on the drainage thing. Like MCEB I'm a bit in the dark on it. What's the big deal. It's not something I've ever heard much about at all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Also the Monsoon system sounded really really good tonight for some reason. I'm not sure why. I threw in my "Complete Metallica" MP3 disc at it was rocking pretty seriously.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, I was wondering about the "quality" of the monsoon system. I am very much into car hi-fi., but don't want to mess the this cars panels/small spaces, etc. ......Please play some AC/DC, then some Bob James/David Sanborn and report back!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looking forward to photos of your car. I have no idea what color you are describing. I happen to enjoy reading your update as time goes on and you can give your perspective on ownership.

Thanks!

JB

1 - 20 of 34 Posts